TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind if SDC went with a B&M flyer for their next BIG project/coaster.

From my (limited) experiences on Seaworld Orlando's Manta (fun!), two B&M Superman flying coasters (meh!), along with Gatekeeper at Cedar Point (okay!)...I'd choose a B&M flyer over a wing coaster. If SDC was to combine the best parts of SWO's Manta along with what I have seen of Starry Sky Ripper and Flying Dinosaur...AND...mix ALL of that into a terrain-hugging coaster as well...that could be FREAKIN' awesome!!!

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind if SDC went with a B&M flyer for their next BIG project/coaster.

From my (limited) experiences on Seaworld Orlando's Manta (fun!), two B&M Superman flying coasters (meh!), along with Gatekeeper at Cedar Point (okay!)...I'd choose a B&M flyer over a wing coaster. If SDC was to combine the best parts of SWO's Manta along with what I have seen of Starry Sky Ripper and Flying Dinosaur...AND...mix ALL of that into a terrain-hugging coaster as well...that could be FREAKIN' awesome!!!

If the ride was themed to mining, I highly doubt a ride with a flying experience would fit in with that theme. The best things that could go with that theme are a dive coaster or eurofighter, but, even the Mack launched spinning coaster could work with that.

^ That's a really good lead. A lot of people miss that the cave is the centrepoint of all of SDC's theming. It is the original attraction and the focus of the park (even though it's not necessarily the focus of guests--although it should be). So a theme of discovering gold in the cave is completely plausible for a new coaster, especially because it tells a story, and all of SDC's rides have not just a theme but a story behind them.

As I understand it, the park wants to refresh Grand Expo, and a new coaster gives a good reason to do that, just as Outlaw Run helped them transform the last vestiges of Tom Sawyer's Landing into the Crossroads, and Fireman's Landing helped refresh the eastern lakefront. I'll gladly take two off years in a row if we get something fantastic--and I fully expect that we will, whatever it is.

Omg. . . Don't say "B&M flyer" as the next coaster. . . It's like the end of the world to those who think they know everything the park is doing.

As much as myself and many others love B&M the current chatter is saying it is looking less likely to be one. The park could really use another B&M though, whether it be a wing coaster like the one at Dollywood or a Dive Machine. (which was hinted at in a recent survey)

If the ride was themed to mining, I highly doubt a ride with a flying experience would fit in with that theme. The best things that could go with that theme are a dive coaster or eurofighter, but, even the Mack launched spinning coaster could work with that.

Mystery Mine Version 2 anyone?

As much as myself and many others love B&M the current chatter is saying it is looking less likely to be one. The park could really use another B&M though, whether it be a wing coaster like the one at Dollywood or a Dive Machine. (which was hinted at in a recent survey)

Nope, a Hyper out in the back 40.

I love the Karnan concept for a Mystery Mine type ride considering both are Gerstlauer made.

I think the park could benefit from a custom Mack Spinner, the inside the mountain Mack Spinner going into that indoor park in China would help round out the coaster collection. I'd love to see a shuttle woodie like Switchback at ZDT with larger trains or the GCI version they have shown.

I think the park could benefit from a custom Mack Spinner, the inside the mountain Mack Spinner going into that indoor park in China would help round out the coaster collection. I'd love to see a shuttle woodie like Switchback at ZDT with larger trains or the GCI version they have shown.

The shuttle coaster, while very cool...would likely be a capacity nightmare...even with longer trains. Plus, I can't see them getting another woodie anytime soon.

I looked for, but couldn't find the spinning coaster you described.

The shuttle coaster, while very cool...would likely be a capacity nightmare...even with longer trains. Plus, I can't see them getting another woodie anytime soon.

I looked for, but couldn't find the spinning coaster you described.

Are they talking about this?

560x315.jpg.45c2a0a03c979ce99d540ebf8c611fa3.jpg

Yeah, that's the Mack spinner model. It wouldn't be my choice--I'm not a big fan of spinning coasters in general--but it would definitely be unique in this area, and very impressive to guests. I could see it going over well.

SDC doesn't need any shuttle coasters of any kind. They're not out to have the most coasters, and they're not going to build something for the sake of building something. They're out to have each ride be a memorable experience. For that reason, clones and shuttles just don't fit their business model. If they can't build exactly the ride they want, they'll wait a year so that they have the time and money to do it right.

Yeah, that's the Mack spinner model. It wouldn't be my choice--I'm not a big fan of spinning coasters in general--but it would definitely be unique in this area, and very impressive to guests. I could see it going over well.

SDC doesn't need any shuttle coasters of any kind. They're not out to have the most coasters, and they're not going to build something for the sake of building something. They're out to have each ride be a memorable experience. For that reason, clones and shuttles just don't fit their business model. If they can't build exactly the ride they want, they'll wait a year so that they have the time and money to do it right.

One of the bigger complaints I hear from family, frends and just others in passing is that the backward cars of TNT are gone. There's a bit of euthusiast preference going on. Who sez a company can't build a wooden shuttle coaster that's not memorable anyways. Out of the rides we last did on our recent trip, the ZDT woody was my crew's favorite including anything at SWSA and SFFT. As for capacity, you are talking about a park that put in a super low cap shot tower when they could have likely scored another, identical one used somewhere to compliment the existing one from CC for chump change.

Anyhoo, I have my opinions, you have yours, ain't no big thing

Mr Furious,

The park was called 7 kingdoms Mountain Pavilion search that along with Mack Spinner and you'll find pics.

The park was called 7 kingdoms Mountain Pavilion search that along with Mack Spinner and you'll find pics.

Yea I found that, but they claim there is still no pictures of the coaster yet.

Anyone else think that one of those 400 ft. star flyers at SDC would be the greatest ride of all time?

I'm on the fence about this one. SDC likes to keep their rides hidden and that's good. So whether or not they'd actually do it is one thing. Though I do agree that the views would be fantastic. Maybe a 150-200 foot model instead?

Anyone else think that one of those 400 ft. star flyers at SDC would be the greatest ride of all time?

I think a smaller one would work great! Give the tower a brown paint scheme, theme the heck out of it and it would be a winner!

I think a smaller one would work great! Give the tower a brown paint scheme, theme the heck out of it and it would be a winner!

You guys are missing the point of SDC. This is not a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. Would you ask if Disneyland was going to add a starflyer? No you wouldn't. Use the same thinking when asking "Would SDC add..." here because that's usually the same case

The crazy thing is that I really don't let my mind wander too much when it comes to SDC. I have the utmost confidence that whatever they decide to do will work out well for the park. They've earned my trust.

I do hope it's not a spinner though. Unless it was themed to one or all of their skillets...in which case I would suck it up.

You guys are missing the point of SDC. This is not a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. Would you ask if Disneyland was going to add a starflyer? No you wouldn't. Use the same thinking when asking "Would SDC add..." here because that's usually the same case

Okay... would Disneyland build the world's only wood coaster with inversions? I guess by your logic they would.

Okay... would Disneyland build the world's only wood coaster with inversions? I guess by your logic they would.

It would fall into the "one of a kind experience" that I am talking about

Look if you want to be an @$$hole you're going to find an exception but for the most part SDC doesn't just install cookie cutter rides and that's what a lot of the posters have been suggesting.