TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Disappointing to hear they don't sell beer at either SDC or Dollywood, but I guess, not altogether surprising...

As a devout Christian, let me just say: "I love my beer, liquor, and wine, and I'm glad that Jesus enjoyed it too! (Well, at least the wine part!"

. . .When we ate BBQ up in the big hall my wife leaned over and said "So THIS is where all the Trump supporters are. We found them.". . .

I mean, your wife isn't wrong. . . I lost track of how many "Trump: Make America Great Again" Shirts I saw people wearing at the park today.

. . .When we ate BBQ up in the big hall my wife leaned over and said "So THIS is where all the Trump supporters are. We found them.". . .

I mean, your wife isn't wrong. . . I lost track of how many "Trump: Make America Great Again" Shirts I saw people wearing at the park today.

Welcome to the land of the (not) silent (any more) majority. Very Very few Bernie/Hillary supporters in the area except the liberal hot spots.

Welcome to the land of the (not) silent (any more) majority. Very Very few Bernie/Hillary supporters in the area except the liberal hot spots.

On a positive note, I'm about to have this for the first time...

20160529_205520.thumb.jpg.f806b8f0a1dac89a1677c97e150f74ee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We leave on our epic midwest coaster journey tomorrow, and are looking at ways to optimize SDC on a Saturday (specifically June 11th). We've budgeted for the limited use Trailblazer Pass (that's 8 skips, right?). I'm most excited for the cinnamon bread, the cave, and the coasters. What's the best way to go about getting this all done while still taking in as much of the charm of the park as we can? Any other suggestions for cool stuff the park has to offer are totally accepted.

Yes, 8 skips total. My suggestion would be to run straight to Powder Keg. If you do it first, there won't be a line. Then go over to Outlaw Run, should be a short wait, 15 min or less at this time of the morning. Once 11:00 hits, go to American Plunge and Lost River. If you ride these right at 11:00 (their opening time), there won't be a wait.

After you get off the water rides, all coaster lines will be around an hour. That's why you have the Trailblazer Pass! Walk around, go visit the cave, have lunch, see a show, enjoy your day.

Don't use the Trailblazer Pass for Thunderation. It will be an hour wait in the morning, but like a lot of coasters near a theme park's entrance, it routinely is a station wait late in the afternoon.

Also, don't use it for Fire in the Hole. The queue will look intimidating when you get there, because a lot of people mistakenly assume what they're looking at is overflow. Nope, that one switchback is the entire queue. You'll never wait more than 30 minutes for this, ever. Go anytime, it doesn't matter. The line is pretty much the same length all day.

Provided you were able to get all the rides at opening as I described, I would use the TBP in this way:

1x Firefall

1x Giant Barn Swing

2x Wildfire

2x Powder Keg

2x Outlaw Run

Of course, if you luck out and something has a short line, that's bonus rides on Outlaw Run!

None of the waits were terrible today. We considered water rides but didn't really want to get wet. Tried a ton of the food and all of it was great, park was fun and had a ton of random things to do and see. We didn't end up doing the cave or too many of the flats (not a big fan of long cycles and some of them were giving really long cycles today).

Outlaw Run is my new #2 coaster overall and #1 woodie. I'm waiting to update my main list until next week, but overall none of the major coasters here are even remotely bad. Seriously awesome terrain usage, good sense of speed, generally really fun rides. Didn't end up using all 8 Trailblazer rides. The coasters never had lines over 30 minutes or even 15 unless you wanted the front. We got to ride front row on all of the major coasters and back row on three of them. Seriously fun park! Great food and charm too

I'm glad you had fun! Those lengths are unusually short for a summer Saturday. Kind of makes me wish I had popped down there today. Goes to show reality doesn't always follow expectations, or what has historically been true.

I hate to be "that guy" who always says his home park is the best. But the only one I've found, out of all the parks I've been to, that equals SDC is Holiday World. I believe that's your next stop? That is a double scoop of awesome!

Yeah, I was really surprised at the wait times, especially considering the number of people in the midways and at the shows. It truly is a super fun park, and makes me excited for Dollywood as well! Holiday World is indeed my next stop and I'm super hyped! I'm a big wooden coaster fan, and Thunderbird will be my first wing coaster too.

I'm glad you had fun! Those lengths are unusually short for a summer Saturday. Kind of makes me wish I had popped down there today. Goes to show reality doesn't always follow expectations, or what has historically been true.

I hate to be "that guy" who always says his home park is the best. But the only one I've found, out of all the parks I've been to, that equals SDC is Holiday World. I believe that's your next stop? That is a double scoop of awesome!

I'll agree that SDC and Holiday World are great, but have you been to Dollywood?? It seems to be the more comparable park to SDC, and although I love both - Dollywood slightly edges out SDC because, you know, Dolly

I'll agree that SDC and Holiday World are great, but have you been to Dollywood?? It seems to be the more comparable park to SDC, and although I love both - Dollywood slightly edges out SDC because, you know, Dolly

Nah. A consistent theme and better atmosphere makes SDC the superior park. Mind you, I like both (for different reasons) but if I had to choose - SDC easily

I have not. For many years I just went to the Missouri parks, and I've only recently started branching out from there. After this year, Dollywood will be the only major park in an adjacent state that I haven't been to. It wasn't a priority basically because it's very far away (10-11 hours for me), and because it's very similar to SDC, which is 45 minutes away and I can go there whenever I want. At the same time, Dollywood's similarity to SDC is definitely in its favour, as is the 50% discount we get on tickets for being SDC season passholders. I'm seriously considering targeting Dollywood for next year.

I'm going to be one of those guys... I'm going to SDC for the first time this Friday for Outlaw Run. I've already seen the post about what rides to cover first and how to properly use the Trailer Blazer Pass. But what about the food? Where and what should I be eating? What should I try? What should I definitely get my hands on? A little background, I live in Texas and have pretty high standards for BBQ. That being said, what should I stuff my face with?

^The BBQ stuff at SDC is OK for theme park food, but nothing amazing.

The really interesting and unique stuff to try is the skillet options. They are located near Thunderation's entrance and near Wildfire's entrance.

Also the cinnamon bread, which is located at a bakery mill tucked into the center of the park. Look for the suspension bridge then find the water wheel next to it and go to the building it's attached to.

Other than that there's a new fry bread booth I have yet to try next to the saloon. I hear it's good.

I'm going to be one of those guys... I'm going to SDC for the first time this Friday for Outlaw Run. I've already seen the post about what rides to cover first and how to properly use the Trailer Blazer Pass. But what about the food? Where and what should I be eating? What should I try? What should I definitely get my hands on? A little background, I live in Texas and have pretty high standards for BBQ. That being said, what should I stuff my face with?

I'm ALWAYS "one of those guys" when it comets my first visit to a theme park. No worries!

We hit SDC twice a year, and our food routine is as follows:

1) Eva and Delilah's bakery on the left as you first enter the park. I think. I'm horrible with eatery names, but trust me... you'll smell it before seeing it anyway. Order anything you like, including cinnamon rolls as big as your head, and have them save it for you to pick up on your way out of the park. Just do it.

2) House made chips, and pork rinds (Don't scoff!) are found down the left side of the park, near the entrance to Wildfire, the log flume, and Fire in the Hole. Pork rinds in a small area just past the woodworking viewing area. The chips are at the larger restaurant with a ton of outdoor, shaded seating. Can't miss it.

3) Succotash. Served at a couple different locations. We get it at the little place right near the entrance to Thunderation.

4) Wife swears by the Apple Fritters, but I don't know which bakery she gets them at, as she usually wanders around the shops while we ride coasters.

5) I've tried many of their "skillets" for breakfast. Enjoyed all of them, so pick what you like.

SDC has, IMO, the best food by far of any theme park. If you don't gain a few pounds during your visit, you're not doing it right... and it's just plain un-"Murrican" not to do so.

Also the cinnamon bread, which is located at a bakery mill tucked into the center of the park. Look for the suspension bridge then find the water wheel next to it and go to the building it's attached to.

Oh yes... so much THIS!

I'm ALWAYS "one of those guys" when it comets my first visit to a theme park. No worries!

1) Eva and Delilah's bakery on the left as you first enter the park. I think. I'm horrible with eatery names, but trust me... you'll smell it before seeing it anyway. Order anything you like, including cinnamon rolls as big as your head, and have them save it for you to pick up on your way out of the park. Just do it.

2) House made chips, and pork rinds (Don't scoff!) are found down the left side of the park, near the entrance to Wildfire, the log flume, and Fire in the Hole. Pork rinds in a small area just past the woodworking viewing area. The chips are at the larger restaurant with a ton of outdoor, shaded seating. Can't miss it.

3) Succotash. Served at a couple different locations. We get it at the little place right near the entrance to Thunderation.

4) Wife swears by the Apple Fritters, but I don't know which bakery she gets them at, as she usually wanders around the shops while we ride coasters.

5) I've tried many of their "skillets" for breakfast. Enjoyed all of them, so pick what you like.

SDC has, IMO, the best food by far of any theme park. If you don't gain a few pounds during your visit, you're not doing it right... and it's just plain un-"Murrican" not to do so.

Thank you so much! I can't wait!!!

Thank you so much! I can't wait!!!

I also agree that the BBQ at SDC is ok at best. There are plenty of skillet, deep fried, etc. options to make yourself sick on.

Just a side note... it turns out we attended SDC last year on one of their busiest days of the year in June, (eavesdropping on park employees dressed as Hillbillies discussing park operations was a hoot) and we still found even the longest waits to be faster than expected. The last 90-60 minutes of daily operations are also a great time to get in some extra time on the coaster(s) of choice. Of course I mean Outlaw Run. Still my favorite woodie.

Aaaack! Almost forgot... If you need a break fro the heat, go visit the old ladies making fudge and wisecracking throughout the process. I love them so much. The train ride is also a must. Sit on the right hand side, middle-ish cars if possible.