TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I mean, they literally say CL (centerline) COASTER,

Alright, so I had a brain fart and couldn't remember projects Ride Centerline had worked on, so I did a quick Google search. Their website is...not exactly up to snuff. Lots of dead links and empty space. I gotta say, though, the Staff page made me giggle -

http://www.ridecenterline.com/Staff.html

I had the best day ever at SDC today. My son and I both had doctor's appointments this morning, so I took the day off work. Once the appointments were done, we headed to Branson for some fun. Forecast was for scattered thunderstorms at SDC, but there wasn't a drop of rain all afternoon. Instead, we were treated to light crowds, short lines, and plenty of BBQ!

We arrived at 1 and headed straight for Powder Keg. Running 2 trains and on in 15 minutes! After sweating through that line in the very humid heat, we needed some cooling off. The Lost River and American Plunge both were sporting lines around 30 minutes, so we opted for River Blast. Ten minutes later, we were being shot with water guns. That ride is a capacity monster. It's very popular, but you'll never wait long for it, ever. Also helps that they have a separate line for 1-2 riders (the only "single rider line" in the park), so you can often skip the already very short main line for groups of 3-8 and get on almost immediately.

Newly refreshed, it was time for more coasters. We went to the Grand Expo to get the all-important height check wristband (my son is 47 1/2"--ah, ever closer to that magical 4 feet, but not quite there yet). We rode Grand Expo coaster (15 minute wait) and Wave Carousel (walk-on!), then left that area.

Next up was Thunderation and a check at Roller Coaster 9. New markers for the columns are evident from Thunderation's queue (photo follows the report). Running one train, 2-train wait the first time, 1-train wait the second, both rides in middle rows.

All this happened in 2 hours. Yep. Awesome day. About this time we headed back to the square for the rib buffet at Reunion Hall. It was awesome! Next to Christmas, Bluegrass & BBQ is my favourite event of the year.

After eating all the ribs we could eat, it was time for more rides. We went to American Plunge (20 minute wait) and were successfully plunged. And we're Americans! Mind. Blown.

On to Fire in the Hole for a back row ride (10 minute wait) and then Lost River (walk-on!). We finished up with the Flooded Mine twice in a row, then a back row ride on Thunderation, leaving about 5:30 with a very happy kid.

20160526_143152.thumb.jpg.6e7c9f4ea9656fa0c4ffc6d60b471a65.jpg

We were at the park yesterday too! First time. The theming absolutely blew us away. So much detail and character. The BBQ and Bluegrass was a great touch too.

This place was probably the most quintessentially American place we've ever seen. When we ate BBQ up in the big hall my wife leaned over and said "So THIS is where all the Trump supporters are. We found them."

Outlaw Run is really really great. That twisting hill after the first outside overbank is seriously wild, one of the most intense spots on any coaster. It's a tiny bit short for my taste, and the double barrel roll was surprisingly weak (everybody always said this but I just couldn't imagine it... and now I understand). The noise the coaster makes on the sideways airtime hill is the most amazing thing. Also, the last row was really rough and the second to last row was wonderful (but I was expecting this). I don't think it's better than Medusa Steel, and I'm not sure I can put it above El Toro, Boulder Dash, Voyage, or T-Express. But it really was great.

Wildfire was a real treat too. It's one of the most beautiful, photogenic coasters I've ever seen, and that air in the back on the first drop is really great. I really enjoy B&Ms in general, but what really helps make a good B&M great and set it apart in my opinion, are the little turns and transitions in between the bigger inversions. Wildfire starts to do that just a little bit, providing great twists and pops - nice little touches to help make the ride a little more special. And it was sooooo smooth.

Powder Keg was nice but it's not really my style.

Overall, this place is truly special. It will be nice if they do get a new coaster next year. One more big ride would help round out the collection nicely.

"So THIS is where all the Trump supporters are. We found them."

I'm sure there are quite a few on these boards as well. It's best not to offend anyone.

I'm glad you had fun at SDC. Did you do the cave tour? It's pretty neat and it offers nice break from the coasters. I feel like the park is missing out on some delicious craft beer sales to compliment the BBQ. The lack of responsibly sold alcohol at SDC and DW is a literal buzz kill for me.

^ I'm noticing a distinct lack of Outlaw Run in that visit. For shame, sir. For shame.
Yeah, 47 1/2" kid. When he gets that last half inch, he will absolutely be initiated.

Carbs.

I'm sure there are quite a few on these boards as well. It's best not to offend anyone.

I'm glad you had fun at SDC. Did you do the cave tour? It's pretty neat and it offers nice break from the coasters. I feel like the park is missing out on some delicious craft beer sales to compliment the BBQ. The lack of responsibly sold alcohol at SDC and DW is a literal buzz kill for me.

I wasn't aware SDC didn't sell alcohol. Its been quite a while since I've been though.

I wasn't aware SDC didn't sell alcohol. Its been quite a while since I've been though.

Pssst. Two words. BIBLE. BELT.

Random question - planning on a visit on Memorial Day and wanted to make sure to do the cave tour in the afternoon to give us a break from the heat. With all the rain the region has had over the past week, do cave tours ever get cancelled? Also, should we show up well before the tour time to actually get on one, or are they not too popular even on busy days?

Edit - anyone see the season long Trailblazer pass? $150 for unlimited skip the line until the end of the season. When you add that to a $95 season pass that's got to be one of the best deals in the theme park industry.

Random question - planning on a visit on Memorial Day and wanted to make sure to do the cave tour in the afternoon to give us a break from the heat. With all the rain the region has had over the past week, do cave tours ever get cancelled? Also, should we show up well before the tour time to actually get on one, or are they not too popular even on busy days?

Edit - anyone see the season long Trailblazer pass? $150 for unlimited skip the line until the end of the season. When you add that to a $95 season pass that's got to be one of the best deals in the theme park industry.

On slow days, I've seen the queue nearly full up to 25 minutes from the tour time. I'd suggest getting there relatively early. I don't think the tour will get cancelled unless it rains right before your time.

Rain won't typically cancel a cave tour. They have a flood route that bypasses the passage to the waterfall room and instead gives you a view of the waterfall from higher up. It can flood that room about 20 feet or so and the tours go on. I've only seen tours cancelled a couple of times ever, and that's been when we've had about a foot of rain in a week.

I wonder if it just depends on the day, because there have been two different times I've been at the park where the cave tours are cancelled because of rain. Perhaps they base the calls off of how much rain is expected from the system? From a safety standpoint, I'm surprised the park has the cave open when more than an inch or so of rain is forecasted. If something goes wrong, there isn't much to do when you are underground in a flood.

If it closes, it's totally because of conditions underground. The cave routinely floods; it's just a matter of whether the rain above ground will affect the water table enough to be dangerous. An inch of rain over a large enough area can raise the water level in the cave by several feet. Depends as much on where it rains as it does on how much. Some rain runs off into the cave, and other goes into the White River. SDC has a good idea of how it works. They've been in the cave tour business longer than the theme park business.

^Anything is possible at this point. I'm still guessing B&M wing coaster just based on what I see them trying to market, but no one knows anything yet.

Track is usually staged in the employee parking lot. There is also a staging area being setup next to TNT's lift hill, but it won't hold everything at once.

Here's another picture that I should have posted last week. This is looking down into the woods behind echo hollow from the bathrooms. This could be where the station will go.

WP_20160521_17_44_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.db942559f1ddf94d709b64f5ede006ef.jpg

. . . anyone see the season long Trailblazer pass? $150 for unlimited skip the line until the end of the season. When you add that to a $95 season pass that's got to be one of the best deals in the theme park industry.

Well bought two of the season long trailblazer passes when we bought our season pazses, and it's well worth it. We will be back at the park tomorrow and it's nice to know that even though the park will be insanely busy we won't have to wait for anything!! Especially water rides, considering its supposed to be 86 tomorrow, but feeling like it's 97!! Can't wait to get to the park tomorrow!!

Bible Belt and no drinking do not share synonymous meanings to me, since I was raised Catholic.

It would be a smart decision to show up well before the scheduled tour time. It usually starts to get pretty busy, and you don't want to chance not getting in the tour, and then get stuck having to wait for the next departure time.

Bible Belt and no drinking do not share synonymous meanings to me, since I was raised Catholic.

I didn't say "Catholic" Belt. This is hardcore Baptist country.

Eh, it's about 45/45 Baptist and Assemblies of God. The world headquarters of the Assemblies of God, or as we locals call it, the "Blue Mecca," is located in downtown Springfield. SDC is associated with the Presbyterian Church--but all three of those are teetotaler groups. Honestly, it's not worth it to them to serve beer; more people around here would be offended by it than would enjoy it.

Eh, it's about 45/45 Baptist and Assemblies of God. The world headquarters of the Assemblies of God, or as we locals call it, the "Blue Mecca," is located in downtown Springfield. SDC is associated with the Presbyterian Church--but all three of those are teetotaler groups. Honestly, it's not worth it to them to serve beer; more people around here would be offended by it than would enjoy it.

You can't get beer in de park

Hasa Diga Eebowei