TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

This is so exciting. SDC is really making name for itself for being one of, if not the best park in the middle America.

Whatever it is, I hope it is a longer ride, a hyper would be awesome. If there was one, nit-picky complaint that could be made about SDC's coasters it's that they tend to be a lot more intense then their larger counterparts.

Fixed that for you

True, but I wouldn't consider "more intense than..." to be any sort of nit pick

This is so exciting. SDC is really making name for itself for being one of, if not the best park in the middle America.

Whatever it is, I hope it is a longer ride, a hyper would be awesome. If there was one, nit-picky complaint that could be made about SDC's coasters it's that they tend to be a lot more intense then their larger counterparts.

Fixed that for you

True, but I wouldn't consider "more intense than..." to be any sort of nit pick

I agree. It's hard to nitpick perfection

^They just replaced the big archway/truss signage thing for TNT, so it doesn't look like it's in danger at all. The experience will definitely change a bit with what we assume will be a big B&M something or other next to and over it.

In fact, you'd have to assume they'll do some more refurbishing on it since it will be getting some more attention.

^They just replaced the big archway/truss signage thing for TNT, so it doesn't look like it's in danger at all. The experience will definitely change a bit with what we assume will be a big B&M something or other next to and over it.

In fact, you'd have to assume they'll do some more refurbishing on it since it will be getting some more attention.

That's the only thing I don't like about this location for the new addition. TNT was the most secluded ride in the park (that's not in a building) and I loved that. But, I'll get over it for an awesome new B&M!

I really like this location for a new coaster. That whole area needs a refresh. Other than the food stalls, there's not a whole lot over there, and it's really awkward to get in and around Thunderation. A new coaster means a refresh of that plaza, which will likely be shared. Remember that Thunderation was SDC's first big roller coaster, and the kinds of crowds they had in 1993 are nowhere near the level they have now. That area is sorely over capacity and can really stand a redesign.

I really like this location for a new coaster. That whole area needs a refresh. Other than the food stalls, there's not a whole lot over there, and it's really awkward to get in and around Thunderation. A new coaster means a refresh of that plaza, which will likely be shared. Remember that Thunderation was SDC's first big roller coaster, and the kinds of crowds they had in 1993 are nowhere near the level they have now. That area is sorely over capacity and can really stand a redesign.

But see, this was never a "plaza" like some amusement park, it's a peaceful dining area covered in trees. I hope they don't Cedar Fair this ride entrance with a big plaza and instead keep it in the woods as much as possible. I'm afraid it will feel like any other amusement park where the coasters are all that matters. There's actually a lot in this area with all the food, shops, and scenery, but to coaster enthusiasts it's just an alleyway to the next ride.

They usually do a really nice blend of scenery, theming, and practical park design though, so I'm absolutely giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this is a tough location to throw a big coaster and not completely change the feel of this side of the park for the worse (IMO).

Looking for some help please.. Will be visiting SDC for the first time this summer and can't wait. Is the parks website the best place to buy tickets and do they do the same deal that Dollywood does where you can enter the day before after 3pm for free with your ticket.

Also, is the park likely to be pretty manic on a Thursday in August? (4th) I have been to Dollywood the last couple years at this time of year and it has been quiet so I am hoping for the same here.

Thanks!

Here's a sketch of where I could see the track markings. Can't see much more due to all the trees.

Apparently they have just added more markers for the column support locations. Isn't that weird? I can't recall seeing a coaster so clearly marked with track centerline and column markings before, complete with arrows on the ground showing the direction.

735345692_markigns2.jpg.1cf350683f1fc0d74f29a0ed9c2a2f44.jpg

^ They are trolling us. They aren't even building a new coaster. It's going to be a second cinnamon bread place. The arrows are for the direction people will travel to get to and from the cinnamon bread.

Ehh, I'm not convinced that they are ride center-line markings. That just would be odd. I double-checked the APWA color codes (which are suggested but not required by any legistlation) and they are indeed considered "temporary markings". ANYTHING is possible by that definition.

My guess is they are representing additional drainage. See how the area you've circled is above hill from the yellow line? Water has to flow downhill and this is very important when constructing a new area or grading. You must consider soil erosion, flooding, pollution, et cetera.

I'm a little partial becuase I am convinced the ride won't be built over TNT when there is a long strip of land parallel to Indian Road. I just can't image the previous but I totally can the latter.

^ They are trolling us. They aren't even building a new coaster. It's going to be a second cinnamon bread place. The arrows are for the direction people will travel to get to and from the cinnamon bread.

I'm a little partial becuase I am convinced the ride won't be built over TNT when there is a long strip of land parallel to Indian Road. . .

Agreed. I can't see SDC building a coaster over another coaster. They work so hard to keep everything separate. . . I really can't seem them building another coaster over Thunderation. . . It just isn't SDC's style.

Ehh, I'm not convinced that they are ride center-line markings.

I mean, they literally say CL (centerline) COASTER, and the new markers say CL COLUMN. These markers are all over the place, so it would be a huge troll if they just wrote that to be funny.

I wouldn't see it as odd for them to build over that section of TNT. They've already got Wildfire, Powderkeg, and OR smack next to each other on the other side of the park. I'll miss the swoop through the woods, but it's not exactly the main feature of TNT.