TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^ I'm still really surprised they are eliminating World Fest

Supposedly they are elongating the other festivals next year - but Brad Thomas is being very secretive on what is replacing it. Told the citizens it'll be August before he announces

I'd be very happy if they made BBQ & Bluegrass two months long. Of course they still need to get some more outside BBQ vendors to take part.

Absolutely! There is now such thing as too much barbecue. If you think you've had too much barbecue, that's because you haven't had enough barbecue.

I've recently moved to Kansas City and am itching to take my first trip to Silver Dollar City. I'm thinking about doing a day trip this weekend (either Sat or Sun) and noticed that its World Fest is on. Will crowds be insane for this event? How about ride lines? Is there a flash pass option that they sell that's worth the money? Finally - would you think there'd be a major difference in crowds on Sunday compared with Saturday?

Thanks in advance, can't wait for Outlaw Run.

Yes, crowds will be heavy on the weekend, but ride lines will be reasonable. A lot of World Fest guests are there for the shows. Plus, SDC's ops are amazing. I have seen on many occasions Wildfire's line out the door yet I was on in 15 minutes. You don't stand in line at SDC; you momentarily pause between steps.

They do sell the Trailblazer Pass on Saturday but not Sunday. This area is fairly religious, so Sunday mornings the park is empty, and it fills up starting around 1. You shouldn't need the Trailblazer pass this weekend if you go to Powder Keg first. All other coaster lines will be under a half hour.

This based on what's being said and current markings is the likely location for the2017 coaster. Blue highlighting where the station would likely be placed. Well see!

That little figure of kiddie rides would likely be relocated, mostly to Half Dollar Holler but I could see one place in the Wilson's Farm area. The original Concept for the Giant Swing has an additional kiddie ride there. That spot is basically still there and mainly occupied by the Frog racing table which is underused.

See the swings in the center right

So, I predict two of the three kiddie rides to the back of Half Dollar Holler, and one here.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to assume that the Insectarium would have to go if a coaster were built in that area. The tallest ride is Wings of Wonder, and it's maybe 15 feet at it highest point. They could easily have the coaster go right over them, or around. That area is very popular with the under 36" crowd, so much so that SDC bought a second Happy Frogs for Fireman's Landing. Relocating it would diminish the quality of the Expo significantly.

Also, I get the feeling that people who say "move it all to Half Dollar Holler" haven't been to Half Dollar Holler. There's room for either the Ladybugs or the Happy Frogs. Wings of Wonder wouldn't fit. Unlike roller coasters, flat rides take up a specific amount of ground, and that area is just very crowded. I guess if they really, really wanted the rides in that area, they could demolish the Bears in the Holler building, but that store is a money maker, and the location is perfect for that merchandise.

More flat rides in the Outlaw Run/Wilson's Farm area would be a good idea, though, especially if they target smaller children. There's nothing in that area that kids under 40" can ride; closest ride for them is the River Blast, and that's a good walk.

Well, there's hi lo silos. I agree there needs to be a kiddie/tot ride while mom waits for the big kids to knock out the Swing and OR. With how The Chirstmas Season has grown into a monster for them, they need rides that are more weather proof. A couple of enclosed , themed up famity flats would be great.

Given the farm and western feel to the area, a enclosed ride themed to square dancind based on the Larson/Gordon Mega Whirl, kinda gives you something along the lines of a tilt a whirl and the Mater's ride at DCA on a smaller scale , another would an enclosed cow/livestock themed bumper car ride and an outdoor spoke design wagon themed ferris wheel for little kids and mom's

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

hqdefault.jpg

On the Insectarium, I get what you are saying. I'd love Half Dollar not be touched because any growth there takes away from the Swinging Bridge. They put the small swings back there but it's missing at least another kiddie ride. It would really give it a comeplete feel with the carousel and little wave swing along with the play structure. This and Fireman's seem to make the Insectarium expendable. Maybe the Dalmation Hopper makes the happy frogs expendable as well, I doubt it.

Edited by ElvisLuv

^ That Mater's ride looks really cool! That would totally be a hit in that area. Hi-Lo Silos is a 40" minimum, that's why I said there's nothing for kids under that height in that area. A good ride that people of all ages can ride is important in every area of this park, so that the older kids/thrill seekers have something, as do the smaller kids/people who like more relaxing rides.

I think a lot of people are coming from the standpoint of your standard amusement park when they suggest taking out the stuff for small kids to build big thrill rides. SDC has more in common with Disney than it does with Worlds of Fun or Six Flags. It's amazing to me to see the demographic difference. I don't ever see roving bands of teenagers at SDC like I do at the other Missouri parks. It's families, often with kids of various ages, and there needs to be something for everyone in every area of the park. Grand Expo, Half Dollar Holler, and Fireman's Landing are all a fair distance from each other, and concentrating all the kids' rides in one area just doesn't work for SDC like it does for other parks. It's a unique and special place, and they have to do things differently.

^ That Mater's ride looks really cool! That would totally be a hit in that area. Hi-Lo Silos is a 40" minimum, that's why I said there's nothing for kids under that height in that area. A good ride that people of all ages can ride is important in every area of this park, so that the older kids/thrill seekers have something, as do the smaller kids/people who like more relaxing rides.

I think a lot of people are coming from the standpoint of your standard amusement park when they suggest taking out the stuff for small kids to build big thrill rides. SDC has more in common with Disney than it does with Worlds of Fun or Six Flags. It's amazing to me to see the demographic difference. I don't ever see roving bands of teenagers at SDC like I do at the other Missouri parks. It's families, often with kids of various ages, and there needs to be something for everyone in every area of the park. Grand Expo, Half Dollar Holler, and Fireman's Landing are all a fair distance from each other, and concentrating all the kids' rides in one area just doesn't work for SDC like it does for other parks. It's a unique and special place, and they have to do things differently.

The knock on the Grand Expo amongst SDC purists is that the premise of the area was solid but the execution with standard, off the self Zamperla flats gave it a cheap look . It was seen as a major failing and that's valid point. If the rides all had an shared comestic make up, oh say like, Tivoli Gardens(the epitome of a turn of the century Grand Expo feel) with it's green and gold and if it had a touch of steampunk to make the rides appear old school futuristic it would have been amazing . The kiddie coaster is kinda there already and the Disko as well. The dumbos needed to be futuristic looking zeppelin air ships, the pirates ships should have been steamships and the swinging ship Jules Verne esque.The tea cups and Wave swing just a different color scheme.

I hope these ride get the rework the balloons did one did, it was and still is beneath the effort put forth everywhere else in the park. You'd expect what happened at Magic Springs, where it would be major and wonderous for the park but not for SDC.

SDC needs to strive to be the best themed, most diverse theme park between the Appalachians and the Rockies. It's not a babysitter, it's target markets are a bit removed for it to a pick up and drop off park like urban Six Flags. A manager at SDC will tell that's bread and butter is a 250 mile radius but can grow it's appeal further.

How awesome is this park?

To me SDC is by far one of the most amazing parks there is. There attention to detail is outstanding. Their food is amazing. The park is absolutely beautiful, and the rides are a lot of fun!!

Enjoy your day at the park, and don't miss Fire In The Hole!!

don't miss Fire In The Hole!!

Sit. In. The. Back.

It's similar to it's sister in Dollywood, but I remember the Dollywood version as being very tame. SDC's version will make you think you're going to die in the backseat.

Currently at the park for the first time. Rode Outlaw Run 5x to start the day, hit a few more rides and now I'm enjoying a ridiculous skillet near a waterfall. How awesome is this park?

Skillet by a waterfall? I know right where you're at. They've added a couple more skillet choices throughout the park the past couple seasons. They are ridiculously good. I only get to SDC a couple times a season since it's 6 hours away but I always get a skillet sometime during my visit, even if I stuff myself on the breakfast buffet.

don't miss Fire In The Hole!!

Sit. In. The. Back.

It's similar to it's sister in Dollywood, but I remember the Dollywood version as being very tame. SDC's version will make you think you're going to die in the backseat.

Yeah, this ended up being true. Also hit my elbow pretty hard at the bottom of that big hill, think I'll hang on next time.

Sharing some photos of my day below. I had a great time and upgraded to a season pass at the end of the visit since this one day was totally worth the 7 hours of driving. (side note, I'm exhausted). Ended up riding everything but the kiddie coaster with minimal waits around the park, the longest being Fire in the Hole at about 15 minutes - not bad! I caught a cave tour as well which I was really impressed with, our guide was awesome. Can confirm I put down about 2000 calories at lunch between Cinnamon Bread and a skillet meal, but it was worth it in the end. Already planning the next trip with my wife as I know she's gonna love this place as much as I did.

IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.10f3f4879d94eba8811e8143ed8a93d8.JPG

By a happy coincidence I walked by Powder Keg as it started testing for the day. Front row was a bit shaky, but fun.

IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.fad6749d510a1c0fe52cf8b98c18e649.JPG

All of the yes.

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.14012fec452e3f8ef0ada469a7485e93.JPG

Wildfire was standard B&M. Enjoyed Kumba and Hulk better but this one has better scenery.

IMG_0538.thumb.JPG.59e6b1e9fef3e005b8de2eb4e36d33fa.JPG

Most parks discourage knives inside their premises...

IMG_0545.thumb.JPG.2d09acd82d9d992913c25acf5a04c06a.JPG

"We swear to god this isn't Dumbo": The Ride

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.f9106aa7745c4bde5301d89f3ee041bc.JPG

So many shows, this was a magic show that was mildly funny.

IMG_0555.thumb.JPG.97beb0aff4a6c1bbeb1930fc53b2c99a.JPG

The cave tour was awesome. It's difficult to describe the scale of the first room you descend down, but the tiny staircase in the corner was actually about 60 feet tall.

IMG_0563.thumb.JPG.01e28b2f9c430f0ab6fae2475d72a142.JPG

Plus the cave was beautiful.

IMG_0565.thumb.JPG.ff7fafbba35d13fd77c4b3a4f8af0579.JPG

Scariest ride of the day was packing 60 people on this old tiny train that's just pulled by a steel cable up a very steep hillside. Anyone know if these rides (also Orient Express at SFMM) have redundant brakes?

IMG_0567.thumb.JPG.fa48fadbc04c76703f5929756d915938.JPG

Is this a good score? Only rode it the once, but felt proud of my efforts.

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.bbdb492faa84ce9482d3dcc3cea8fbae.JPG

Hello, gorgeous. This ride is crazy.