TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Since its been while since I've gone during the week, how long should I expect the lines to be?

Lines during the week are not bad at all! I would not expect to wait more than 20 minutes tops for anything (And that will only be for like Outlaw Run, and maybe Powder Keg!)

Since its been while since I've gone during the week, how long should I expect the lines to be?

Lines during the week are not bad at all! I would not expect to wait more than 20 minutes tops for anything (And that will only be for like Outlaw Run, and maybe Powder Keg!)

Excluding Thursday and Saturday, Outlaw Run was a walk on. Powder Keg maintained around an hour everyday oddly enough. Outlaw Run was into the over flow queue around 5 o clock Saturday. Wildfire had such a long line that I found it has a 2 story overflow building!

I thought I would share a photo or two that I took during my visit before I actually post a full report. We actually just got back to Wichita so I have to get settled back in. In the mean time, here is WIldfire and Outlaw Run!

IMG_0379.thumb.JPG.b8a97f8498c9281fbec688c6df28552f.JPG

IMG_0441.thumb.JPG.657b7cb1a6846d588f8fb689219e50f9.JPG

IMG_0481.thumb.JPG.827fc732715fe02f96ac2bb8e8285934.JPG

IMG_0489.thumb.JPG.40dc374884ba9dc9b02219a92756a134.JPG

Wildfire had such a long line that I found it has a 2 story overflow building!

lol, that's just the regular queue line area that isn't used much anymore because the line never gets too large anymore. Back in the early 2000's though, we went up there all the time. The actual "overflow" line has been more or less blocked off because it probably will never be used again. It was outside across from the station leading back up to AP.

Moonlight Madness/Late August is always pretty busy, but you really never know how the individual weekdays are going to go. It's good that they're having some good days to make up for all the rain this year though. I still want to see the park be richly "rewarded" for the great work they put into Fireman's Landing.

If they're able to, I think they should relocate Ozark Wildcat over to Silver Dollar City just so they're not letting a nice GCI sit dormant, or maybe they could give it to Wild Adventures (also owned by Herschend) since they don't have any real standout coasters.

I think the only place they could relocate Wildcat to is Wild Adventures because it was built on flat land and Silver Dollar City nor Dollywood have very much flat land while Wild Adventures is all flat. But personally, I think the Herschends are dumb asses for closing this place, they invested $40,000,000 into that place when they first got it and expected to make it all back within two years or three, they had terrible hours where it opened later but stilled closed at 9:30 so it was only open about 8 hours a day, and at the time that they closed the park when they claimed that they were losing money in the company because of Celebration City, they purchased a new amusement park in Georgia that was and is terrible. And me and many people I know would've rather spent a day at Celebration City rather than her counterpart down the road. Celebration City felt like an amusement park where you would go to have fun, S.D.C feels like a money drain and I will always despise the Herschends for closing Celebration City and I will always despise S.D.C.

^OzCat was built site specific, relocation isn't likely. The queue gates, parts of the control panel, and other items were used on Outlaw Run.

I actually do think they could relocate Wildcat to Wild Adventures as the Wildcat was built on flat land similar to Wild Adventures flat land. And are you sure about the air gates being used on Outlaw Run? Because I remember Wildcat having kind of squared, grayish air gates while Outlaw run doesn't. And are you sure about the control panels being reused on Outlaw Run? Because it seems to me that if they were to reuse the control panel on any other wooden coaster in the chain it'd be Thunderhead since Thunderhead is another G.C.I and Outlaw Run is an R.M.C.

^ I would trust anything Chadster has to say about SDC. He's an expert. Shavethewhales is too. Those two know probably more about SDC than anyone else on this board.

Regarding the control panel, while RMC built the ride, the control panel was done in-house so that it could be serviced quickly and without having to contact RMC when breakdowns occur. Yes, they used parts of Ozark Wildcat in various places around the station. In many ways, Outlaw Run is the relocation of Ozark Wildcat we were all asking for.

Hey everyone! I see there has already been some trip advice discussion - I'm going to get in on the action.

Visiting Labor Day weekend (Sat and Sun). Anyone been in the past? What were the queue times like? I read about getting there early on Sunday to take advantage of the time while everyone's in church still.

How about restaurants/bars in the area outside of the park? I believe I'm staying at a hotel right across the street, as we got tickets/hotel in a package deal from Branson.com. First time visiting the park. I've been to Dollywood before so I know that taking the time to slow down and enjoy the scenery/arts and crafts is a must at the park.

If it's too crowded, honestly I'll but their version of the fastpass. Seems like a good deal. But yeah, looking for any other tips - especially things to do outside of the park as far as bars and restaurants go since the park closes somewhat early.

Thanks everyone!

-Zach

^OzCat was built site specific, relocation isn't likely. The queue gates, parts of the control panel, and other items were used on Outlaw Run.

And are you sure about the control panels being reused on Outlaw Run? Because it seems to me that if they were to reuse the control panel on any other wooden coaster in the chain it'd be Thunderhead since Thunderhead is another G.C.I and Outlaw Run is an R.M.C.

I'm no electrical engineer but I'm sure several of the major components like the HMI, PLC, power supplies, input/output cards etc. could be reused if they were still in good condition.

I actually do think they could relocate Wildcat to Wild Adventures as the Wildcat was built on flat land similar to Wild Adventures flat land. And are you sure about the air gates being used on Outlaw Run? Because I remember Wildcat having kind of squared, grayish air gates while Outlaw run doesn't. And are you sure about the control panels being reused on Outlaw Run? Because it seems to me that if they were to reuse the control panel on any other wooden coaster in the chain it'd be Thunderhead since Thunderhead is another G.C.I and Outlaw Run is an R.M.C.

Outlaw Run has squared gates too. I bet they are reused because they don't line up perfectly, but pretty close, and have all he same characteristics of GCI gates like the ring in the back of the railings. I bet there were just painted black.

And are you sure about the control panels being reused on Outlaw Run? Because it seems to me that if they were to reuse the control panel on any other wooden coaster in the chain it'd be Thunderhead since Thunderhead is another G.C.I and Outlaw Run is an R.M.C.

I'm no electrical engineer but I'm sure several of the major components like the HMI, PLC, power supplies, input/output cards etc. could be reused if they were still in good condition.

Okay. Good to know.

Outlaw Run has squared gates too. I bet they are reused because they don't line up perfectly, but pretty close, and have all he same characteristics of GCI gates like the ring in the back of the railings. I bet there were just painted black.

Guess I've never noticed how the airgates looked like the ones from Celebration City. I used to go there all the time. Well, I went there a couple times, my mom and dad never really wanted to take me that much because the park opened later in the day and by the time we got there the dogs, horses, cats, and guineas (bird) had to be fed. So that's why they'd rather take me to S.D.C instead because it was open earlier in the day, although I like Celebration City more because it had more variation in rides and also I really like the Ferris Wheel and Flying Circus.

When one says site specific, I believe it to be designed to the dimensions of land that it was built on top of that particular patch of land l. It is about as flat as flat can get. No custom elevations for the structure were needed. The diminsions of the land can be easily copied provided it is flat. You could have a large plot of land and place OzCat there in the middle and then shape every else around it. Take Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah. That was site specific but really it's a flat base as well and could be moved to any flat space that can accommodate it. Let's take Arkansas Twister that once resided at Boardwalk and Baseball in Florida. It was built on some darn flat land, yet it was relocated to Magic Springs which is in the hills. They did the earthwork to make it work. It's a odd location and when the amp is used, it requires the closure of the ride.

Could OzCat be relocated as long as the new site is flat and accommodate the diminsions of the ride? Yep, but, the hardware was cannibalize and the wood structure has set there, unused for 6 to 7 years now. Didn't one train go to Wild Adventures? I think the cost was 4 million when it was built? If the wood was in good enough shape without much replacement and basically only needed retracked when reassembled, you still have to buy new hardware. So, considering it comes incomplete would the price and the cost incurred with replacing what's missing be low enough to make it compelling enough to chose it over a new construction wood coaster? OzCat was a solid coaster but it wasn't on many best of lists. I think it's sibling, Thunderhead that went to Dollywood, when HFE bought the two GCIs is considered the better of the two by most ethusiasts.

The only hope for OzCat is that the new management team that settles in behind Manby and his departure revisits a reinvention of that property and they deem it worthy to restoring it to operable condition. It's kinda shameful they have left it standing if not. It contributes to the notion that Branson is rundown and closing up, which eventually effects SDC. Branson has an identity crisis and they are lost on what to do about it but a poster on here saying in a trip report that Magic Springs' waterpark is better than Whitewater, well, any in Missouri is telling on the state of HFE properties on that end of the 76 strip.

When one says site specific, I believe it to be designed to the dimensions of land that it was built on top of that particular patch of land l. It is about as flat as flat can get. No custom elevations for the structure were needed. The diminsions of the land can be easily copied provided it is flat. You could have a large plot of land and place OzCat there in the middle and then shape every else around it. Take Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah. That was site specific but really it's a flat base as well and could be moved to any flat space that can accommodate it. Let's take Arkansas Twister that once resided at Boardwalk and Baseball in Florida. It was built on some darn flat land, yet it was relocated to Magic Springs which is in the hills. They did the earthwork to make it work. It's a odd location and when the amp is used, it requires the closure of the ride.

Could OzCat be relocated as long as the new site is flat and accommodate the diminsions of the ride? Yep, but, the hardware was cannibalize and the wood structure has set there, unused for 6 to 7 years now. Didn't one train go to Wild Adventures? I think the cost was 4 million when it was built? If the wood was in good enough shape without much replacement and basically only needed retracked when reassembled, you still have to buy new hardware. So, considering it comes incomplete would the price and the cost incurred with replacing what's missing be low enough to make it compelling enough to chose it over a new construction wood coaster? OzCat was a solid coaster but it wasn't on many best of lists. I think it's sibling, Thunderhead that went to Dollywood, when HFE bought the two GCIs is considered the better of the two by most ethusiasts.

The only hope for OzCat is that the new management team that settles in behind Manby and his departure revisits a reinvention of that property and they deem it worthy to restoring it to operable condition. It's kinda shameful they have left it standing if not. It contributes to the notion that Branson is rundown and closing up, which eventually effects SDC. Branson has an identity crisis and they are lost on what to do about it but a poster on here saying in a trip report that Magic Springs' waterpark is better than Whitewater, well, any in Missouri is telling on the state of HFE properties on that end of the 76 strip.

Non of the trains went to Wild Adventures, it has Gerstlauer trains, one train went to Dollywood but I thought there was a second train, maybe it's still in the queue house. But I do think that the coaster is salvageable, whether only the track can be saved or only the structure, I think it can be salvaged. If the new park needs to they can do what Magic Springs did with Big Bad John, the mine train from Six Flags Over Mid America then Dollywood, what they did is the took the old mine train track, and since the park didn't have the same terrain as Six Flags or Dollywood the had G.C.I come in and build a new structure. The total project of moving the whole coaster in the event that the structure has not rotted and the the cost of rebuilding it, I would estimate probably an 7-9 million dollar project. Now in the event that the structure can't be saved and only the track can be reused, I would estimate about 5-7.5 million dollar project. But what I see most likely is H.F.C taking the property, build some other kind of attraction, maybe an aquarium, and have a few rides, including Wildcat. I either see this or the rethemeing of Celebration City. But the next time H.F.C needs to learn that Celebration City would have to be separate from S.D.C, it can't be open some of the day for people to go to S.D.C then Celebration City, it'd have to be open all day because that was terrible about Celebration City, it was opened limited hours, it opened in the afternoon and was supposed to be a night time park but it was never opened past 9:30 P.M and what they need is a stand out attraction, Wildcat was good but most of the other rides were just okay to the naked eye, what they need is something like a Sky Screamer or an Air Race or something that the General Public loves.

Non of the trains went to Wild Adventures, it has Gerstlauer trains, one train went to Dollywood but I thought there was a second train, maybe it's still in the queue house. But I do think that the coaster is salvageable, whether only the track can be saved or only the structure, I think it can be salvaged. If the new park needs to they can do what Magic Springs did with Big Bad John, the mine train from Six Flags Over Mid America then Dollywood, what they did is the took the old mine train track, and since the park didn't have the same terrain as Six Flags or Dollywood the had G.C.I come in and build a new structure. The total project of moving the whole coaster in the event that the structure has not rotted and the the cost of rebuilding it, I would estimate probably an 7-9 million dollar project. Now in the event that the structure can't be saved and only the track can be reused, I would estimate about 5-7.5 million dollar project. But what I see most likely is H.F.C taking the property, build some other kind of attraction, maybe an aquarium, and have a few rides, including Wildcat. I either see this or the rethemeing of Celebration City. But the next time H.F.C needs to learn that Celebration City would have to be separate from S.D.C, it can't be open some of the day for people to go to S.D.C then Celebration City, it'd have to be open all day because that was terrible about Celebration City, it was opened limited hours, it opened in the afternoon and was supposed to be a night time park but it was never opened past 9:30 P.M and what they need is a stand out attraction, Wildcat was good but most of the other rides were just okay to the naked eye, what they need is something like a Sky Screamer or an Air Race or something that the General Public loves.

This is easy, they plan to do something, someday as the property has not put up for sale.

No admission,

Redesign as a Downtown Area with a main street and side streets. Parking deck(s) can be hid by lining it with buildings.

Have a mix of full service restaurants, fast casuals(panera, five guys, starbucks) and treat shops. Have some retail mixed in. Sporadically mixed in faux store fronts that would act as venues for seasonal attractions(think haunts) indoor Christmas walk thru like an enchanted forrest theme. The little area that had the faux creek is perfect for eateries with outdoor seating. Have a mirror maze attraction, so on

Have an Aquarium but remember Bass Pro is about to open a pretty large one themselves up the road in Springfield.

Bowling Alley, a kids secton with glow in the dark theme and a grownup section.

Possible Dine In Movie theater, 4 or 5 screens.

Live music venue, some place designed lime a small old theater turn live music venue with a cap of 5 to 6 hundred.

A pavilion in the square, outdoor music in the summer, ice skating in the winter.

On site hotels with things to attract visitors year round, one with a indoor waterpark and the other with indoor ropes course, mini golf, electric go carts, hotels share use of amenties.

Attractions to go with a revived OzCat

1) very tall Star Flyer

2)Compact steel coaster(Iron Shark, Gale Force, ect)

3) kiddie ride area, semi enclosed, think over sized Carousel house (Asbury Park)with room for three or four smaller footprint rides.

4) two or three flats like the Air Race you mentioned , I would shoot for a couple that's partially enclosed or covered so they can be heated during the winter and immune from rain. Things like bumper cars and a hymalaya style ride

Rides sold ala carte or a ride band.

Think an amount of rides like Kemah Boardwalk has overall

Places I've seen or been to that I pulled that off of, the Island in Pigeon Forge, Kemah Boardwalk and Galveston Pleasure Pier, the Downtown Aquarium, Great Wolf Lodge, Alamo Draft House Cinema and threads on this forum.

Edited by ElvisLuv

Going either Saturday 8/22 or Sunday 8/23, which day is recommend?

Sundays are typically less crowded, shorter operating time thought. I would shoot for come after so and so time, come back tommorrow free ticket

This is easy, they plan to do something, someday as the property has not put up for sale.

No admission,

Redesign as a Downtown Area with a main street and side streets. Parking deck(s) can be hid by lining it with buildings.

Have a mix of full service restaurants, fast casuals(panera, five guys, starbucks) and treat shops. Have some retail mixed in. Sporadically mixed in faux store fronts that would act as venues for seasonal attractions(think haunts) indoor Christmas walk thru like an enchanted forrest theme. The little area that had the faux creek is perfect for eateries with outdoor seating. Have a mirror maze attraction, so on

Have an Aquarium but remember Bass Pro is about to open a pretty large one themselves up the road in Springfield.

Live music venue, some place designed lime a small old theater turn live music venue with a cap of 5 to 6 hundred.

A pavilion in the square, outdoor music in the summer, ice skating in the winter.

On site hotels with things to attract visitors year round, one with a indoor waterpark and the other with indoor ropes course, mini golf, electric go carts, hotels share use of amenties.

1) very tall Star Flyer

3) kiddie ride area, semi enclosed, think over sized Carousel house (Asbury Park)with room for three or four smaller footprint rides.

4) two or three flats like the Air Race you mentioned , I would shoot for a couple that's partially enclosed or covered so they can be heated during the winter and immune from rain. Things like bumper cars and a hymalaya style ride

Places I've seen or been to that I pulled that off of, the Island in Pigeon Forge, Kemah Boardwalk and Galveston Pleasure Pier, the Downtown Aquarium, Great Wolf Lodge, Alamo Draft House Cinema and threads on this forum.

Wait, this is for sure? That would be REALLY awesome if this is true. Would they continue doing the laser light shows and stuff? And also, would they get another Technical Park Ferris Wheel? Because they look fantastic during both night and day. Although I don't like the idea of an ice rink and stuff like that, it does seem like a good idea for H.F.C to explore, bring new life to this park. Although I kind of wish that H.F.C never bought it because Branson USA was fun, I was only a couple months old when H.F.C bought it but I still have small flashes of memories from Branson USA, like I remember my mom and dad taking me on the Ferris Wheel while they had me in a backpack, like they had my legs and stomach area in the bag and my head and upper body sticking out the top and they would zip up the bag so I couldn't fall out. But from the pictures my mom and dad took, it looked like a fun place, it had a fun selection of older type rides, the Fireball is the exception, and it was a pretty park and it was reasonably priced, no admission and most rides only required about four to five tickets and my parents said tickets were only about 25-50 cents a piece.

No admission,

1) very tall Star Flyer

Wait, this is for sure? That would be REALLY awesome if this is true. Would they continue doing the laser light shows and stuff? And also, would they get another Technical Park Ferris Wheel? Because they look fantastic during both night and day. Although I don't like the idea of an ice rink and stuff like that, it does seem like a good idea for H.F.C to explore, bring new life to this park. Although I kind of wish that H.F.C never bought it because Branson USA was fun, I was only a couple months old when H.F.C bought it but I still have small flashes of memories from Branson USA, like I remember my mom and dad taking me on the Ferris Wheel while they had me in a backpack, like they had my legs and stomach area in the bag and my head and upper body sticking out the top and they would zip up the bag so I couldn't fall out. But from the pictures my mom and dad took, it looked like a fun place, it had a fun selection of older type rides, the Fireball is the exception, and it was a pretty park and it was reasonably priced, no admission and most rides only required about four to five tickets and my parents said tickets were only about 25-50 cents a piece.

Oh and just for the record, I'm very skeptical about Wonders of Wildlife (the aquarium) reopening again, as much as I used to go to that place as a kid I would be excited about it reopening, but I just don't see it. I have a feeling that pretty soon the owner is going to abandon the project as it is taking too much money because he's already dumped about 50 million into the place and it's STILL not open. By the way, do you know the where abouts of Celebration City's Electric Star Ferris Wheel? I will not stop scouring the internet until I find out where it is.

No admission,

1) very tall Star Flyer

That they own the land still and not listing it on the market? Yes, that's true.

The rest is what I would do with it and I'm just some random poster with ideas.

The word was, they wouldn't sell it cause they don't want it to be used as competition but they were waiting till the Ozark High Road was completed to redevelop it. That is not going to happen for decades, if then, unless some miraculous funding formula is discovered. Missouri needs to get rid of the traffic lights south of town on US 65 first and a complete western bypass of the Branson strip is about the most foolish use of money there is. Getting a four lane to SDC on 76 from the intersection where Celebration City would be a tremendous help and not foolish.

Oh and just for the record, I'm very skeptical about Wonders of Wildlife (the aquarium) reopening again, as much as I used to go to that place as a kid I would be excited about it reopening, but I just don't see it. I have a feeling that pretty soon the owner is going to abandon the project as it is taking too much money because he's already dumped about 50 million into the place and it's STILL not open. By the way, do you know the where abouts of Celebration City's Electric Star Ferris Wheel? I will not stop scouring the internet until I find out where it is.

Don't be skeptical, just be disgusted over Johnny taking his sweet time. It'll be reopened.

It's full of living things now

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2015/03/18/big-changes-ahead-wonders-wildlife/24988721/

Don't be skeptical, just be disgusted over Johnny taking his sweet time. It'll be reopened.

It's full of living things now

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2015/03/18/big-changes-ahead-wonders-wildlife/24988721/

Cool. But I do wonder if H.F.C is planning on doing something like what you said. Because the few rides that are left are not for sale online, like the Wildcat isn't for sale (that may seem reasonable but I have seen an amusement park *cough* *Alabama Adventure* try to sell a wooden coaster online before) and also the Roaring Falls chutes from Geauga Lake and the Bertazzon Carousel and even the cars from the go cart track aren't for sale. And even before the 2015 season the Zierer magic carpet called Orbiter wasn't for sale, but then it was moved to Wild Adventures as Jungle Rumble. But have you seen the stunning video on youtube of some guy that flew a drone over the park in April I think. I've gone by the park in recent weeks and all the banners and flags along the driveway are all still there and faded and everything. Same with in the park. And it still looks like they still have people come out and tend to the grounds. The only thing that looks different from the last time I went there is all the rides are gone and some more trees have matured.