TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Soooo, there is a possible St. Louis trip this summer to visit family on the cards this summer. I see this park is rather close (maybe a 3 and a half hours) and I would want to know if it is worth it, or should I stick with Six Flags over St. Louis? I have been to Dollywood, SDC's sister park, and had my best day at a park ever there. Although, keep in mind that this would truly have to be a special park if I were to convince them. Thanks!

I like SFSTL, but SDC is the best amusement or theme park I've ever been to. If you can convince your family, go to SDC. Especially since your top 2 coasters are both RMCs, and SDC has an amazing RMC coaster.

I would want to know if it is worth it, or should I stick with Six Flags St. Louis? I have been to Dollywood, SDC's sister park, and had my best day at a park ever there. Although, keep in mind that this would truly have to be a special park if I were to convince them. Thanks!

Absolutely. SDC>>>>>SfStL no question. I cannot speak on behalf of those who have been to Dollywood (like yourself) but it is probably on par since they are sister parks. Outlaw Run is worth the drive alone. I'd definitely recommend a day in Branson for Silver Dollar City.

First off, thank you for all your input! Would you say that a true RMC wooden coaster, like Outlaw Run or Goliath, is better than a wood-steel hybrid, like Ntag or Irat? Thanks again!

Outlaw Run is said to be neck-and-neck with NTAG and Medusa for best RMC coaster, but is definitely thought of as better than the rest of them. If you liked iRat, you'd like Outlaw Run even more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there TPR, we were looking to finally take a trip to the Ozarks and experience Silver Dollar City for the first time this coming week, so I had a few of the usual questions.

Any lodging you would recommend around the area? I know that the Bluegrass & BBQ festival is going on, so how bad of crowds should we expect? Any specific eating stops around the park we shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance.

^ SDC is a weird place as theme parks go. A lot of their festivals are focused on music, and at those times, the crowds are there for the music, not the rides. Parking can be out to the overflow lots and the rides are still walk-ons. Really, the Bluegrass festival is a great time if you're there for the rides, for exactly that reason.

The "main event" for BBQ is located at the Red Gold Heritage Hall, which is next to the Grand Expo. It will be open all day, so don't try to go around noon, as the line for it then is often all the way out to Echo Hollow. Wait until later in the day; if you go about 4-5, you'll get right in. They have many different vendors with just about every style imaginable, so you'll find something you like. The food is very good and reasonably priced around $10. SDC's food in general is much lower priced and much higher quality than your typical theme park.

As for the rides, hit Firefall first if you're interested. The line only gets longer as the day goes on. Then on to Outlaw Run, Powder Keg, and Wildfire, in that order. By that time the water rides should be open (they open an hour after the park in the spring), so if the forecast is anywhere over 80 degrees, do American Plunge next. It's right next to Wildfire, and features a 50-foot drop. They've let the animatronics go in recent years--uncharacteristic for this park--but the drop is amazing, and you will get soaked. After that, go to Lost River, as the line can be over an hour later in the day. It's one of the better Intamin raft rides, and low capacity with six-seat boats. Hit it early.

You can really do what you want the rest of the day; nothing else will ever have a long queue. Fire in the Hole is a unique dark ride/coaster that you should not miss. Thunderation is the best mine train I've ever been on, and is certainly one of the best anywhere. Tom and Huck's River Blast is a very fun splash battle, and usually has quite a few people around the ride who will be happy to hose you. Flooded Mine is an old but wonderful shooting dark ride built totally in-house.

But the one absolutely not-to-be-missed attraction is Marvel Cave. It is the reason for the park's existence, and is still the focus of attention. Make sure you allot an hour for the cave. You will not regret it.

Welcome to the Ozarks. Have fun!

Perfectly stated ytterbiumanalyst! That's exactly what I would have said!

About lodging: Deer Run has always worked out well for us. The rooms aren't anything to speak of, but it's clean and it's right next to the park. There's a shuttle right to SDC's front gate. The Best Western nearby is also supposed to be decent and also has a shuttle.

In Branson itself there are a litany of small hotels that have very similar rooms for similar rates. There are a number of bad apples in the bunch, so you'd have to look for recent reviews that look trustworthy, but a lot of it is the same wherever you go. Classic motor inn is a good one, and they give a discount if you mention SDCFans. If you want a nicer room than the typical Branson minimum, there is a good Holiday Inn and the downtown hilton isn't that pricy comparatively.

Bad Apple = Stay away from Westgate resorts and their sister properties, horrible.

I've stayed at The Village at Indian Point several times and have been happy, it's near the park but no shuttle. Right on the lake and features two bedrooms, living room, and kitchen. The wifi kicks ass too, but not as much as waking up, walking onto the deck, and seeing the lake.

Any lodging you would recommend around the area?
When we travel we always stay at IHG properties. There is a nice Holiday Inn Express on Green Mountain drive. It's a bit of a drive to the park, but it's close to the main Branson strip. It's a nice hotel, with really comfortable beding, and pillows. Nice breakfast too. I highly recommended this hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m planning a road trip that includes the following stops:

Six Flags Over Texas Sunday and Monday, June 14 and 15, 2015;

Six Flags St. Louis Thursday, June 18, 2015;

Silver Dollar City Friday, June 19, 2015.

My main interest is in the coasters. If anyone would like to meet up for some rides, please let me know. Thanks.

Robert Downie

RobertDownie10@gmail.com

^ Why are you going from Texas to St. Louis and then backtracking to Branson?

Right. Especially if you're driving. From Texas to St. Louis you pass through Springfield, MO which is only 45 miles from Branson.

Just found out I'll have a chance to visit SDC for the first time this August! Catch is, I'll only be able to stay from park opening until about Noon.

Anyone have any advice for a first timer who's going to need to maximize time, other than the obvious running to Outlaw Run at opening?

Silver Dollar city's Q2Q system is very reasonably priced. If you just want to credit whore the place, I would recommend it. Honestly, It's sad that you have only a few hours. There is so much to do at this park that a half day is really short changing yourself.

The coasters are all excellent, and well worth the trip themselves.

Have fun.

I was hoping that 2016 would be the year that SDC got a new steel coaster such as an Invert or a Wingrider, but I guess since DW is getting such a presumably large Coaster, then SDC is out for 2016. Has anyone heard any rumors regarding SDC for 2016?

Right. Especially if you're driving. From Texas to St. Louis you pass through Springfield, MO which is only 45 miles from Branson.

Though I'm late, his route is the fastest by far. He can do SDC on the way down to Little Rock so he doesn't have to drive back 45 to the interstate. So his route is 45 minutes faster.

Though I'm late, his route is the fastest by far. He can do SDC on the way down to Little Rock so he doesn't have to drive back 45 to the interstate. So his route is 45 minutes faster.

Not really; they actually come out even. US-67 goes straight from St. Louis to Little Rock. I haven't driven it, but Google says it's 5 1/2 hours. Springfield to Eureka is right at 3 hours--driven that one many, many times--and Springfield to Little Rock is about 4.

Springfield to Branson - 45 min.

Branson to Springfield - 45 min.

Springfield to Eureka - 3 hr.

Eureka to Little Rock - 5 1/2 hr.

Total - 10 hr.

Springfield to Eureka - 3 hr.

Eureka to Springfield - 3 hr.

Springfield to Branson - 45 min.

Branson to Little Rock - 3 hr. 15 min.

Total - 10 hr.

Since the time's the same, the edge goes to Voyager6442's plan in that the last leg is shorter coming from Branson than from Eureka. So it sounds counter-intuitive, but actually it's pretty well planned.

I was hoping that 2016 would be the year that SDC got a new steel coaster such as an Invert or a Wingrider, but I guess since DW is getting such a presumably large Coaster, then SDC is out for 2016. Has anyone heard any rumors regarding SDC for 2016?

I really doubt SDC will get anything big next year. The trend these days after a major addition is to take an off year and focus on shows and minor improvements around the park.

2010 - Tom and Huck's River Blast (major)

2011 - Half Dollar Holler (minor)

2012 - off year

2013 - Outlaw Run (major)

2014 - off year

2015 - Fireman's Landing (major)

So I'd be looking for a big addition in 2017. Personally, the thing I want the most is an American Plunge update or a new log flume. AP is about 30 years old and a significant number of animatronics are either non-functional or totally removed.

Nope. What he is doing is driving to Texas (lets assume he takes the interstate on as many routes as possible) from Little Rock and going straight to St Louis. Then, on the way home, he takes i44 to Springfeild and goes down (45 mins) to SDC.he can continue south after SDC to Little Rock without even going back to i44.

Otherwise, he wouldhave to go 45 mins down to Branson, then 45 mins back up to i44, and then go back down that route a third time to cut down to AK. This is versus taking that path only once (which he will take to go home anyhow, as it is ~7.5 hrs from StL via i55 and i40 to Little Rock). So he would have saved a total of 1.5 hrs.

If you dont understand, that highway Branson is off of continues down to Little Rock. So effectively, he could go from i44 @ Springfield to Little Rock, passing through Branson on the way down.

If you dont understand, that highway Branson is off of continues down to Little Rock. So effectively, he could go from i44 @ Springfield to Little Rock, passing through Branson on the way down.

Yeah. Lived here 30 years. I actually remember when 65 was 2 lanes.

Also, I started my analysis at Springfield, because the route will be identical up to that point.

Also, also, you wouldn't take 55 and 40 to Little Rock, as it's 50 miles longer. Even with the faster speed limit on the Interstate, the much more direct Route 67 is faster overall.

Im sorry, I forgot about 67.

Yeah, Ive taken both interstates to St. Louis and Little Rock many many (mostly i55) times. Together they are long routes.

I was born in St. Louis and lived there for 11 years. We moved to Memphis and so we take i55 a lot to go back up to our hone town. We also have been to Little Rock too, so I am familiar that those routes sum a greater time than the direct on through Springfield.

I keep seeing people saying they can't feel Outlaw Run's airtime at all anymore. Has anyone that's visited recently know anything about this. I mean when I went in 2014 compared to my 2013 visit I agree but I was a lot bigger in 2014 so that's what's confusing me.

I don't understand that - the ride mercilessly throws you up and down. There's no way to avoid feeling the airtime. Who's actually saying this?

I can usually understand differences in what people experience on rides due to size/body characteristics, but it doesn't matter too much on OR because it throws you around (in a good way) no matter what.

I didn't notice anything different earlier this year.