TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

The news of Manby moving on to SEAS has huge implications for SDC. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it all.

HFEC has been growing enormously over the past decade. The attempt to turn SDC/CC into a Disney-light didn't work out so well, but the company has bought up a ton of smaller attractions and they are spending $300 million on Dollywood to turn it into a regional attraction. It's not the same company that it was before Manby, and the Herschends themselves are only getting older.

What freaks me out is that Manby was the only CEO who really connected with the Herschend brothers and took considerable time to understand how they wanted the company to be run. He fit the position like a glove. You really have to hope that the next CEO understands what makes the company so special and works to keep it that way.

I totally agree. I hope Manby helps them find a replacement that's just as good as he was. SeaWorld definitely needed a better CEO though, and I'm sure he'll really help the company improve. Hopefully he'll help them market their parks better.

I like that in the press release, Manby came out swinging by saying they have great animal care. He needs to keep the conversation there. I personally have loved the changes to SDC in recent years, and SeaWorld needs a similar revitalization. This has the potential to be good for both companies. The Herschends were very picky when hiring Manby, and they will be just as picky with his replacement.

Wildfire: Front Row x1: Another tough credit, but opened earlier than Powderkeg. I was hoping for this ride to be just as good as Kumba, but sadly it wasn't. That's not to say it wasn't a great ride, because it was. Very forceful, with great views. I just wish they could've fit an extra corkscrew in there because it feels a little too short.

You were supposed to ride in the back row! The ride does have some great moments, like the helix at the end, but the first drop is fantastic. It sucks that the weather was crappy when you visited though.

^ Glad you had a good time. Wildfire is best on the back row in the outside, actually has some great airtime there. Outlaw Run is amazing, and I'm glad you got so many rides on it. Bad weather days can have great surprises like that. Outlaw Run can run in colder weather than any other coaster except Thunderation, and it tends to be largely immune to rain and wind. Just bonuses to an already fantastic coaster. Come back again when the shows are running and the weather's better. It may be a while before you come back, as Cincinnati is a significant distance (enough that the last time I was there was 2004), but when we get another great coaster--and SDC will, it's only a matter of time--you'll need to make another trip out.

As for me, we'll be at the park tomorrow, our first for the year. Can't wait to revisit some old favourites, especially that shot tower that's been closed since 2008. I've been very excited for Fireman's Landing for quite some time now, and everyone should have a good time there. Thanks to everyone who's provided photos so far, and I'll try to get a few of my own tomorrow too.

^ I'm actually about 4 hours east of Cincy on the border of Indiana and Illinois, but I just happen to frequent Kings Island So a drive to Silver Dollar City is actually around 6 1/2 hours.

Yeah, I had never experienced riding on a coaster all alone until Outlaw Run and crawling through those barrel rolls on an empty train in the cold made for a unique experience. I definitely will come back in a couple of years after their next major coaster. SDC really is a fantastic park, I just visited in crappy weather conditions, ha!

Also, I forgot to mention that I drove past Celebration City and saw the very sad Ozark Wildcat sitting in its lonely place waiting to be fired up again

image.thumb.jpg.42d8cd59cbd39643d7df11f210b221a5.jpg

If they're able to, I think they should relocate Ozark Wildcat over to Silver Dollar City just so they're not letting a nice GCI sit dormant, or maybe they could give it to Wild Adventures (also owned by Herschend) since they don't have any real standout coasters.

If they're able to, I think they should relocate Ozark Wildcat over to Silver Dollar City just so they're not letting a nice GCI sit dormant, or maybe they could give it to Wild Adventures (also owned by Herschend) since they don't have any real standout coasters.

There is no flat land left at SDC that is big enough for Ozark Wildcat. It's going to sit and rot until they eventually tear it down for new construction.

Still pretty shocked to hear about Manby moving to Sea World. I just hope he changes to marketing to show that it's an amusement park with great rides and animals, instead of the current, "Trust Us, We're nice to animals," with barely any mention of the actual parks and rides. As for SDC, I really hope the new person continues the same quality and service. SDC is such an amazing park.

So, I forgot to ask but, is wildfire running any better this season so far. Last year I went in May and had a major rattle and felt a bit sluggish.

We were in the park this past Saturday, with mostly sunny skies, and temps in the 60's. While riding Wildfire, there were no rattles to be heard, and it moved like greased lightnin'.

Just getting around to posting the trip report from last Sunday. we arrived at opening,and there was a light rain falling.we headed immediately to Fireman's Landing, where Firefall was still in testing. We rode Up the Ladder and the Dalmatians, then went back to check on Firefall. Seeing that there was an employee on the ride, I knew testing was nearly done and got in line. After the first group went though, they shut down the ride again and called in maintenance. Firefall was shut down until the afternoon, and when it finally did we open, the wait was over an hour. Since I have ridden it at Celebration City, I decided that the wait wasn't worth it. We rode everything else at Fireman's Landing, and everybody had a good time. This really is a major upgrade from Geyser Gulch. My son, who is 5, was much braver than he was last year. He went on Thunderation for the first time, and loved it! We went twice in a row.

We were busy enough all day that I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but I do have a few. Love the new look of the lakefront; it really is improved.

20150322_110551.thumb.jpg.80943127a745250a95b6ec51f6e41657.jpg

Little-known fact: Gravity is rreversed on this ride, and you actually fall upwards. That's why there's a trampoline on the ceiling.

20150322_114748.thumb.jpg.1cc705e1b07e336238bb67a1d597184c.jpg

We're here for training!

20150322_110529.thumb.jpg.14e487f16c86e744143db59a96700e30.jpg

No fear of heights here!

20150322_124538.thumb.jpg.846053dab1dc642c34629b1712f8537c.jpg

Looks great, and you can see it from all over the park.

20150322_131104.thumb.jpg.4f9d671725c8c93807b4204c971a2dcf.jpg

I love how forested this park is, even with the new areas. This is from the queue for the wave swinger.

20150322_163037.thumb.jpg.c3e740313fe89ac6e0f8366a3018dd7a.jpg

Someone was photobombing my nice shot of the forest. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

So, have any of you guys seen larger people ride outlaw run, that carry most of the weight in the mid section ride. I think I'm slightly to big to ride, but if I fit in NTAG will I fit in this. I just have gained weight since my last time at the park.

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing the awesome photos of Fireman's Landing, I'm definitely adding this park to my 2015 list! I'm thinking about making a trip in September. More likely I'll be visiting on the 13th, which is a Sunday. That's also the weekend for Country Music Weekend. Is Sunday a great day to visit? If it's going to busy I'm willing to purchase a Trailblazer Pass Unlimited. Plus, it'll be my first visit to the park.

After seeing the awesome photos of Fireman's Landing, I'm definitely adding this park to my 2015 list! I'm thinking about making a trip in September. More likely I'll be visiting on the 13th, which is a Sunday. That's also the weekend for Country Music Weekend. Is Sunday a great day to visit? If it's going to busy I'm willing to purchase a Trailblazer Pass Unlimited. Plus, it'll be my first visit to the park.

I don't know if you have a Dollywood Season Pass but one neat perk that never really gets mentioned is that it gets you 50% off admission to Silver Dollar City. If you don't have Dollywood on your travel list this year you might want to add it.

I don't know if you have a Dollywood Season Pass but one neat perk that never really gets mentioned is that it gets you 50% off admission to Silver Dollar City. If you don't have Dollywood on your travel list this year you might want to add it.

Thanks, but I've already been to Dollywood. It was back in 2007 (long time ago), but I usually visit a park once because I try using my time and money at new parks I haven't visited yet. I know it sounds crazy, but it's my weird system of traveling all over North America to hit every park I can possibly go to. So far my theme park count is 25! I always wanted to visit Silver Dollar City, and I think I waited long enough. This year is the year I make the drive to this awesome park and add it to my count. Plus I can credit whore on the coasters as well.

Trailblazer Pass won't be necessary. Remember that SDC only has four major coasters, so the pass isn't as big of a deal as it is at other parks. Plus, the crowds that the Country Music Festival attracts typically aren't going to be interested in coasters.SDC is weird in that it can be packed yet have no wait for rides.

When you come, do not skip the cave. It's the whole reason for the park's existence and plays a huge role in the back story of nearly every ride. Do the lantern tour if you get the chance. It's SDC's one and only up charge attraction, and I believe it's about $8. They only do the lanterns on the last tour, so get your tickets early as it does sell out. If you can't make it, the regular tours are free and are held every 20 minutes throughout the day.

Trailblazer Pass won't be necessary. Remember that SDC only has four major coasters, so the pass isn't as big of a deal as it is at other parks. Plus, the crowds that the Country Music Festival attracts typically aren't going to be interested in coasters.SDC is weird in that it can be packed yet have no wait for rides.

When you come, do not skip the cave. It's the whole reason for the park's existence and plays a huge role in the back story of nearly every ride. Do the lantern tour if you get the chance. It's SDC's one and only up charge attraction, and I believe it's about $8. They only do the lanterns on the last tour, so get your tickets early as it does sell out. If you can't make it, the regular tours are free and are held every 20 minutes throughout the day.

Thanks! I heard the cave is definitely a must do. You're probably right, I might skip the Trailblazer Pass, and see how the crowds are. Hopefully, it shouldn't be too bad. I heard great things about this park and I'm sure it's going to live up to it!

Silver Dollar City has sent us information about this years' Bluegrass and BBQ Festival!

(Branson, Mo. 5/2015) One of the nation’s top bluegrass events, Silver Dollar City’s Bluegrass & BBQ brings the heat, from the hottest bands in bluegrass to the slow-smoked barbecue, May 7 – 25 at the Branson, Missouri theme park. The festival “presents more bluegrass bands on multiple stages to more new audiences than any other event in the nation,” said Nancy Cardwell, International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) Executive Director 2012-14.

Awarded Bluegrass Event of the Year by the IBMA, the world’s largest organization of bluegrass music professionals, Bluegrass & BBQ this year presents more than 40 bands on multiple stages throughout the park, with international award-winning musicians, Grammy nominees, fan favorites and chart-climbing new bands coming for the festival.

Award-winning Grammy-nominated performers include Rhonda Vincent, described as the “Queen of Bluegrass Music” by the Wall Street Journal and 7-time IBMA Female Vocalist of the Year, performing with The Rage, the most awarded band in bluegrass; Balsam Range, winners of the 2014 IBMA Entertainer of the Year and Male Vocalist of the Year; Blue Highway, with 15-time IBMA Dobro Player of the Year and 2014 Songwriter of the Year; and the Grascals, two-time IBMA Entertainer of the Year.

Newer artists include Flatt Lonesome, Driven, The Lindsey Family, The Baker Family and The Willis Clan, featured on America’s Got Talent and starring in their own show on the TLC network. Unique artists include The Kruger Brothers, bluegrass musicians from Switzerland, whose repertoire ranges from traditional bluegrass to Bach to R&B songs.

Spotlighting the next generation of bluegrass talent, the park presents an annual Youth in Bluegrass band contest, set for May 23, with 21 bands from around the country competing for honors.

Another top feature is the barbecue, and The House of BBQ serves up a flavor feast from St. Louis-style ribs and smoked chicken to Texas brisket and pulled pork -- direct from large outdoor charcoal grills and the park’s custom-made 20-foot long smoker. An all-you-can-eat BBQ rib feast is featured on the Square each afternoon with fall-off-the-bone smoked ribs in four flavors, plus SDC’s famous 18-hour smoked brisket, along with smoked pork, chicken and sausage.

Silver Dollar City is open daily during Bluegrass & BBQ, May 7 – 25, except for Tuesdays, May 11 & 18. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (9:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sunday, May 24). For information and performers’ schedules: 800-831-4FUN(386), or http://www.silverdollarcity.com.

SDCBBQ.jpg.9c6bb4a623b522c61991f73f4cb6e5dd.jpg

Soooo, there is a possible St. Louis trip this summer to visit family on the cards this summer. I see this park is rather close (maybe a 3 and a half hours) and I would want to know if it is worth it, or should I stick with Six Flags over St. Louis? I have been to Dollywood, SDC's sister park, and had my best day at a park ever there. Although, keep in mind that this would truly have to be a special park if I were to convince them. Thanks!