TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

It looks like media day was today, I wasn't even paying attention. Here are some photos: http://www.ky3.com/news/local/21048998_31733746

This place turned out even better than I thought. I really, really appreciate how they made it a natural extension of the city. Even though it's full of rides and attractions, it feels thematic and fun to be around even if you aren't doing any of the kid stuff. Such a huge improvement stylistically over Geyser Gulch, and so, so much better than the way the Grand Expo was handled.

The indoor area looks a lot better now that it has all the decorations in place too.

I'll see you guys there Saturday morning.

Howdy Partners, today Silver Dollar City hosted a media event for the opening of their all new 8 million dollar expansion, Fireman's Landing opening this Saturday!

Set to open March 14, Fireman’s Landing substantially increases the park’s attractions, adding 10 family adventures in all. The new area has six family rides and four interactive play zones for kids and families in a highly themed area, saluting the spirit and training activities of community volunteer firefighters. The area, with theming recognizing the contributions of community heroes who serve as firefighters, is an 1880s volunteer recruitment fair. The storyline creates the atmosphere of the rides serving as “training” adventures for recruits and community heroes – all seeking to become part of the Silver Dollar City Fire Brigade.

This theming has historical background to the internationally-awarded theme park (founded 1960), as the 1880s town Marmaros, once located on the site of Silver Dollar City, was burned to the ground by a blaze more than 100 years ago. “Now fast forward to the fictional story for Fireman’s Landing, where the citizens share a desire to band together to prevent such an event -- to be ready with volunteer recruits who have trained to test their preparedness,” said Brad Thomas, General Manager of Silver Dollar City. “The message carries that everyone can give back through volunteerism and community spirit.”

10 Family Adventures

Fireman’s Landing expands into a new previously undeveloped region of the park, adding 10 family adventures -- six family rides and four interactive play zones. The development brings the number of the park’s rides and attractions to over 40 and increases ride capacity to over 21,000 per hour.

Centered around the headquarters of “Fire Station #3,” rides include FireFall, an 8-story fire tower free-fall drop ride for the more daring recruits; Fire Spotter, with soaring balloons for spotting fire dangers; Fire Wagon Frenzy, a bouncing ride for bucket brigade volunteers; Lucky’s Dizzy Dogs, a bouncy ride on Dalmatians racing around a fire hydrant; Up The Ladder, a smaller tower drop ride for junior recruits; and Fireman’s Flyer, a low-flying swing ride for little firefighters.

Attractions include Firehouse Splash Yard, with squirting water jets and pump hoses for outdoor play. Inside Fire Station #3, enclosed and temperature controlled for season-long comfortable play, are Firefighter’s Fire Drill, with buckets, pumpers, foam ball cannons and targets for showering mock fires; Firefighter’s Fire Escape, an obstacle course of tubes, mazes, climbing structures and slides, and Firefighter’s Junior Fire Escape, a soft play area for toddlers.

Kids can meet the Fireman’s Landing official chief rescue dog Lucky, a costumed character that encourages new recruits to have fun and be ready in the firefighters’ tradition of neighbors helping neighbors.

332331035_SDCFiremansLanding.jpg.e1727a2fdc7369e347bc0d7fc1658c4d.jpg

Welcome to the all new Fireman's Landing!

15986105_SDCFLFireFall.jpg.f488fd5047088a40f23c6479473ea13e.jpg

Re-purposed from Celebration City, Firefall has been re-themed and looks amaazing!

654932375_SDCFLUpTheLadder.jpg.17504202d12050d080180ccd3c3398ec.jpg

Up The Ladder is a smaller tower drop ride for junior recruits at Fireman’s Landing

1830168789_SDCFiremansLandingkidspledge.jpg.e0a993a79977376aefe269a8fc4d3070.jpg

Branson Fire Chief Ted Martin and Lucky the Rescue Dog welcomed everyone!

2058893974_SDCFLLuckyampAbby.jpg.fab051e2e48f76bd7d5b7eb84b71144e.jpg

Hi Lucky!

1255895805_SDCFLFirewagonFrenzy.jpg.0b7d0d10b9b4b35fc8998d6b17a79b5e.jpg

Southern Stone County Fire Protection District Chief Dave Gyger rides Fire Wagon Frenzy

Fireman’s Landing opens with the park this Saturday, March 14!

901937484_SDCFLStation3.jpg.836ca0b0aaf2db0a7b1877a53163807d.jpg

Inside Fire Station #3 we find Firefighter’s Fire Drill, with foam ball cannons for showering mock fires.

Glad to see this finally open. It looks much better than I was expecting. It was a munch needed update for that area of the park. Glad to see SDC finally got a shot tower... Even if it is a small one, I rode it when it was at Celebration City and it was still a decent ride! Can't wait to get up there and try it out in its new home!

^I mean, I enjoyed the old area and so did a ton of people. It certainly looked worn-out, but a lot of that had to do with their choice of paint and the fact that the "rustic" details were overdone. It was supposed to look like an abandoned mansion of some sort that had been taken over by kids... or something. Of course they kept refering to it as a tree house anyway.

In any case, it never really captured the SDC feeling like this new area appears to do, so I think all will agree that this is an improvement. All of the new areas since 2007 have been really good at making rides blend into the SDC ambiance. You don't know how important that is until you see it.

To me, theme park season always began when Herschend opened their new attraction in March. I really should plan a trip to this park.

Take notes Cedar Fair and Six Flags, new attractions on opening day.

To me, theme park season always began when Herschend opened their new attraction in March. I really should plan a trip to this park.

Take notes Cedar Fair and Six Flags, new attractions on opening day.

Don't remember, did Outlaw Run open on time?

That tower ride looks like it has great airtime!

As long as they didn't change the programming from when it was at Celebration City ... then yes.. It has great airtime. Not only airtime. But it use to provide some nice "ejector" time on the second bounce.

Getting ready to head over to pick up the rental then head down! Can't wait.

Look for me tomorrow. I will be wearing my Kings Island 2014 Banshee crew shirt. It is purple(ish) and has "WALT" in big letters on the front, and an inverted coaster on the back (part of the Banshee logo)

See you guys tomorrow!

Unfortunately my season pass didn't arrive yet (procrastinated until early last week), so I have to wait until after the park opens and get a re-print, but I'll be heading to Fireman's Landing just after that. I'll be wearing an orange OSU shirt with an outline of Oklahoma on the front. Don't hesitate to say hello if you see me.

Branson is DEAD right now, which is a little surprising... I mean, it definitely is a family town and a lot of people won't start arriving for spring break until tomorrow, but still. Basically everything is closed at 9pm. I've always known it to be constantly crowded, but this is the first time I've come on opening weekend for SDC.

I saw that on SDC's app that PowderKeg has been "closed for weather." Has it been raining all day or is the ride actually closed for mechancial reasons? Outlaw Run also closed and is currently listed as "Temporarily Closed."

Edit: I'm seeing PowderKeg is now open but Outlaw Run is listed at a 0 minute wait time. I'm guessing the app is not completely reliable?

Unfortunately my season pass didn't arrive yet (procrastinated until early last week), so I have to wait until after the park opens and get a re-print, but I'll be heading to Fireman's Landing just after that. I'll be wearing an orange OSU shirt with an outline of Oklahoma on the front. Don't hesitate to say hello if you see me.

Branson is DEAD right now, which is a little surprising... I mean, it definitely is a family town and a lot of people won't start arriving for spring break until tomorrow, but still. Basically everything is closed at 9pm. I've always known it to be constantly crowded, but this is the first time I've come on opening weekend for SDC.

Branson is usually dead on opening weekend for SDC. Many of the shows don't come out of winter hiatus for another month further contributing. With SDC closed Monday and Tuesday I wouldn't expect the mass Spring Breakers to arrive until Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning.

I saw that on SDC's app that PowderKeg has been "closed for weather." Has it been raining all day or is the ride actually closed for mechancial reasons? Outlaw Run also closed and is currently listed as "Temporarily Closed."

Edit: I'm seeing PowderKeg is now open but Outlaw Run is listed at a 0 minute wait time. I'm guessing the app is not completely reliable?

It's been raining all day, and Powder Keg usually closes in even a drizzle due to the laser sights on the moving track.