TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

they had me at foam ball cannons

Same here, foam ball cannons are a necessity for any park, my home park has a maximum 54" hieght requirement so I have to steal a child. I hope that SDC doesn't pt a max height on their foam ball park.

they had me at foam ball cannons

Same here, foam ball cannons are a necessity for any park, my home park has a maximum 54" hieght requirement so I have to steal a child. I hope that SDC doesn't pt a max height on their foam ball park.

Geyser Gulch didn't have a height requirement but that was a much larger fort. The foam ball area seems to be a lot smaller now, so I'm wondering if they'll make it for little kids only in order to deal with crowd control.

I really love the look of the area and think it will blend in much better than Geyser Gulch ever did.

A high-capacity S&S tower. Nice

Let's hope they run the same program as they did at Celebration City. It was actually pretty intense for it's size, and it really was a huge surprise. With the added theming, this is a great thrill ride for SDC.

What the **** is the Fire Wagon Frenzy? It looks and sounds like an elevated flat ride giving a motion simulator style ride experience without any screens. Could it perhaps be another relocated and re-themed ride from Celebration City? I think it was called Flying Carpet and sat right next to Thunderbolt.

The rest of the new area just looks incredible. The detail looks incredible, and that is one elaborate building for a children's play area. I am assuming the balloon ride is SDC's old balloon ride where Tom Sawyer's Landing is currently? Seems like an all around great investment...though I still can't help looking ahead for what comes after this...

^I'm told Fire Wagon is a rethemed and refurbished Zamperla Crazy Bus originally from Wild Adventures. The Balloons are indeed the same (refurbished) ride that was removed from SDC in 2008.

The concept artwork goes back and forth on how many seats the shot tower has. The overall area image shows the typical 12 seat configuration, but the closeup image shows additional seats added at the corners to make an octogon shape. I'm inclined to believe the closeup was done to embellish the look of the ride and it will just have the old configuration. Luckily it's a short ride cycle, but I'm anticipating this thing will have some lines.

Edit: nope, looks like the concept artwork is just warped so that you see three sides at once. It looks like it will use the original configuration. It also sounds like it will be running a drop tower program instead of the double shot?

^I'm told Fire Wagon is a rethemed and refurbished Zamperla Crazy Bus originally from Wild Adventures. The Balloons are indeed the same (refurbished) ride that was removed from SDC in 2008.

The original plan was to use the Crazy Bus from Wild Adventures. But I believe it has been sold to someone on the fair circuit in Massachusetts. A new crazy bus will be purchased to replace it.

Anyways, I think this new area will be a huge hit for SDC. When I first moved to Branson to work at the park, I thought it was an area that was really showing its age and didn't quite fit with the overall theme that SDC was going for. This new area is certainly much better.

It certainly seems like a nice addition overall, but am I the only person who is pretty disappointed that there is almost nothing about this "huge announcement" that appeals to an adult like me? I mean, other than an 8-story drop tower ?

Just being honest, and its not all bad, since it will be another new reason to bring my 7 year-old son down to SDC next year. But I was greedy and hoping for something that will bring ME back down there next year.

Even without it being a new coaster, when I read that it was a whole new area, I was hoping that there would at least be some kind of dark ride or other heavily-themed attraction contained therein. But, alas, its just another Grand Exposition-type of area (an area that greatly pales in comparison to the rest of the park...and an area that visited for about 5 minutes total of my 2-day trip this past July).

It makes sense from a marketing standpoint, but its hardly exciting to a regular park visitor like me...

am I the only person who is pretty disappointed that there is almost nothing about this "huge announcement" that appeals to an adult like me? I mean, other than an 8-story drop tower ?
I too was disappointed by this announcement. However, it seems to be a great area to draw in more families, which means more money for the park, which is a good thing! Hopefully 2016 will bring us a really nice attraction for adults!

I've been on this site for almost 10 years watching all kinds of theme park developments across the world. I'll tell you this much, you've got to appreciate good, thoughtful effort by a park, even if the attraction isn't aimed at your demographic. I've seen a lot of crappy developments where parks just throw in singular rides with no imagination, and in a few years they're just kind of forgotten about - just blended into the fabric of a bland park that has to keep adding gimmicks just to stay relevant.

This is a good development because it creates a unique, immersive environment that is based around creating unique experiences rather than just waiting in line for rides. There's great theming, nice atmosphere, and a nice fabric of additions that will make it a place where the entire family can stay for awhile as a group. It also revitalizes an area of the park that had some issues. If you are disappointed because they didn't WOW you with an extra $10 million thrill ride on top of all of this, then you're going to be unhappy following this industry. I mean, there's a difference between "looks nice, but not for me", and "boo hoo they didn't add a coaster I'm so disappointed". Coaster enthusiasts used to be really bad about saying the latter.

If you followed the rumors, which were pretty reliable and pretty much spot-on (I mean, they were based off of the park's own attraction surveys), then you would know not to expect anything more than what was announced.

I'm just curious... What do they have for the firewomen? Teehee

Looks like a great addition. Personally, I'd rather see things like this built over big hulking generic gimmicky coasters.

Those can always be added later and will be much better with the infrastructure already established

This is an awesome expansion and I'm sure this will be a crowd pleaser. I wonder if they will relocate the Ozark Wildcat twister in the near future. That's a great GCI IMO.

I don't expect that to be seen at SDC. It was built on flat land and there is pretty much no flat land in SDC. I also wouldn't expect them to get two wooden coasters one after the other

am I the only person who is pretty disappointed that there is almost nothing about this "huge announcement" that appeals to an adult like me? I mean, other than an 8-story drop tower ?
I too was disappointed by this announcement. However, it seems to be a great area to draw in more families, which means more money for the park, which is a good thing! Hopefully 2016 will bring us a really nice attraction for adults!

I can't say much as I've never been to the park and, therefore, don't really know what it was needing. However, I wouldn't say I was disappointed that there wasn't really much for adults except for the drop tower but I do wonder why they couldn't make it just a little taller. I mean, if they're going to add a drop tower, why not make it reasonably tall. Not really complaining, though. This looks like a nice addition.

. I wonder if they will relocate the Ozark Wildcat twister in the near future. That's a great GCI IMO.

Here's another thing that pisses me off about this announcement...and almost every announcement other than Outlaw Run the last 6 or 7 years.

Look, I'm not asking the park to put in a new Outlaw Run every year. Far from it.

But every year I drive 4 hours to SDC, and then into Branson, passing old CC, and the terribly wasteful opportunity that is Ozark Wildcat just sitting there doing nothing.

I was lucky enough to ride it many times the first year it was open, as well as most of the other rides in the Celebration City collection. But to just let OzCat rot and do nothing with it, and to watch SDC add pedestrian stuff like the Barn Swing and everything in the Grand Exposition while the OzCat sits and rots kind of upsets me.

I love SDC. Its my home away from my home park. I've been there more times in the last 10 years than Six Flags St Louis, which is about 30 minutes away from where I live (as opposed to 4 hours away). I still absolutely adore SDC. But after leaving OzCat to rot for 5 years, I have to question WTF is happening with the company. And when the big announcement is kiddie rides and an 8-story drop tower, I have to call BS.

This announcement is a big bag of sucky kiddie suckness. No one could possibly convince me otherwise...

. I wonder if they will relocate the Ozark Wildcat twister in the near future. That's a great GCI IMO.

Here's another thing that pisses me off about this announcement...and almost every announcement other than Outlaw Run the last 6 or 7 years.

Look, I'm not asking the park to put in a new Outlaw Run every year. Far from it.

But every year I drive 4 hours to SDC, and then into Branson, passing old CC, and the terribly wasteful opportunity that is Ozark Wildcat just sitting there doing nothing.

I was lucky enough to ride it many times the first year it was open, as well as most of the other rides in the Celebration City collection. But to just let OzCat rot and do nothing with it, and to watch SDC add pedestrian stuff like the Barn Swing and everything in the Grand Exposition while the OzCat sits and rots kind of upsets me.

I love SDC. Its my home away from my home park. I've been there more times in the last 10 years than Six Flags St Louis, which is about 30 minutes away from where I live (as opposed to 4 hours away). I still absolutely adore SDC. But after leaving OzCat to rot for 5 years, I have to question WTF is happening with the company. And when the big announcement is kiddie rides and an 8-story drop tower, I have to call BS.

This announcement is a big bag of sucky kiddie suckness. No one could possibly convince me otherwise...

They're replacing a run-down family area with a new, fresh family area. There isn't any reason to complain.

While I am pissed about OzCat rotting as well, that gives me no reason to hate on Fireman's Landing. But they'd have to redesign much of the ride if they were to relocate it to either SDC or Dollywood because both are built in the hills while Celebration City was on flat land. So where else could OzCat go?

Well it's not owned by the same people but frontier city could use a good woodie. Wildcat is rough as crap at frontier city so the oz one would do good there. Also they just got an insane woodie so I wouldn't expect a big ride right after t anyways

This line of thought makes literally no sense, and makes you come off as a spoiled, stuck-up brat. How immature do you have to be bitch about a nice new family area? Some of the so-called "enthusiasts" these days are just unbearable. A "big announcement" doesn't always mean coaster, and it never has. Why is that so hard to understand?

Sorry it doesn't fit into your roller coaster tycoon-inspired thought process, but here in the real world you don't get to just delete track and move it over somewhere else with a few clicks. Celebration City failed, all of the rides that could be removed are gone. If HFEC had a buyer for the property, they would have sold it by now. As it is they just use it for offices and lease out the rest. OzCat is dead - they left it standing and maintained it for awhile when they were considering alternate attractions on the site, but they have since abandoned those plans at least until the highway extension is built and Branson numbers pick up significantly so they don't cannibalize SDC's gate again. OzCat will probably be demolished when it makes sense for them to do so.

You can't truly "move" wooden coasters, most attempts to do so end up simply replicating the layout with 80% or more new material. Take a look at what happened to Zippin Pippin, Starliner (both at Cypress Gardens and the new Miracle Strip), and several others. OzCat was a stellar layout and is worth replicating, but they don't have a space to do it so it's all moot anyway.

For some reason the few complaints I've heard about this area really just drive me up the wall. It really shows that some people can never be pleased. Makes me understand why the park has a hard time listening to "fans".

This line of thought makes literally no sense, and makes you come off as a spoiled, stuck-up brat. How immature do you have to be bitch about a nice new family area? Some of the so-called "enthusiasts" these days are just unbearable. A "big announcement" doesn't always mean coaster, and it never has. Why is that so hard to understand?

Sorry it doesn't fit into your roller coaster tycoon-inspired thought process, but here in the real world you don't get to just delete track and move it over somewhere else with a few clicks. Celebration City failed, all of the rides that could be removed are gone. If HFEC had a buyer for the property, they would have sold it by now. As it is they just use it for offices and lease out the rest. OzCat is dead - they left it standing and maintained it for awhile when they were considering alternate attractions on the site, but they have since abandoned those plans at least until the highway extension is built and Branson numbers pick up significantly so they don't cannibalize SDC's gate again. OzCat will probably be demolished when it makes sense for them to do so.

You can't truly "move" wooden coasters, most attempts to do so end up simply replicating the layout with 80% or more new material. Take a look at what happened to Zippin Pippin, Starliner (both at Cypress Gardens and the new Miracle Strip), and several others. OzCat was a stellar layout and is worth replicating, but they don't have a space to do it so it's all moot anyway.

For some reason the few complaints I've heard about this area really just drive me up the wall. It really shows that some people can never be pleased. Makes me understand why the park has a hard time listening to "fans".

^Nicely said! Before the announcement, I thought it was going to be something similar to FireChaser Express at Dollywood and I wasn't too excited. I think FireChaser looks amazing and a fantastic family coaster...but another family coaster...with the same theme...I thought the announcement was going to be basically a clone of FireChaser and I am not a fan of going to parks with clones. I think every park should be unique in their own way and not just clone rides. This announcement surprised me and I took interest on how they used the FireChaser theme and put it to their park. I think this will bring many families to the park and looks to be like an awesome addition to Silver Dollar City.

I can't say much as I've never been to the park and, therefore, don't really know what it was needing. However, I wouldn't say I was disappointed that there wasn't really much for adults except for the drop tower but I do wonder why they couldn't make it just a little taller. I mean, if they're going to add a drop tower, why not make it reasonably tall. Not really complaining, though. This looks like a nice addition.

I believe the drop tower they are adding is relocated from Celebration City, so adding height to it wouldn't make any sense unless they just buy a whole new drop tower.