TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I just read that Hershend filed a trademark for Fireman's Landing for Silver Dollar city. I'm interested in what it could turn out to be.

Source from Screamscape.

Sounds like a good name for a drop tower.

I'm hoping for some creative implementation of 1880's firefighting technology and theming in this new area. There's a terrific 1880's fire wagon and fire house on the park's main square that is always really cool to check out. I think this also indicates that the water cannons will probably remain in the area - they have been a hit with kids for almost two decades now.

I will be visiting the park for my first time tomorrow. Taking advantage of the come after 3 get the next day free deal since we will be arriving in Branson in the afternoon. If any one has tips for making my rounds at the park, things I don't wanna miss, awesome deals, etc. please let me know.

Also how are crowds on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in July?

Tuesday and Wednesday shouldn't be any problem. Rarely does a line at SDC go over an hour, even in the summer. The longest lines in the summer are for the water rides, Lost River of the Ozarks (rapids ride) and American Plunge (log flume). The third water ride, Tom and Huck's River Blast (river battle), is much newer and much higher capacity, so it never really has a line. The roller coasters will have lines, but Outlaw Run and Powder Keg shouldn't be over 30 minutes. The other 3 coasters will likely be 15 minutes or less.

Can't miss items are the cave and the craftsmen. Really. Go see them. Any theme park will have great rides, but craftsmen are a rarity. It's pretty much a show, and they'll talk to you as well. The glass blowing is especially impressive. The cave is totally unique, and is the park's original attraction and the reason the theme park exists. Especially if you're doing two days as SDC, you can't miss the cave tour.

^^Thanks!!

I'm a regular visitor of Dollywood so I'm pretty familiar with the craftsmen and always check them out.

Good to hear about the short line times, was worried how soon it is after the 4th crowds may be lingering.

One of the things I always suggest is that at some point in the day you check out the south side of the main square where all the preserved old buildings are. There's an authentic school house, church, and a couple of log cabins that have been saved by the park and are kept up as little living history exhibits. Also check out Grandfather's mansion, one of the last of the old style park funhouses left on earth.

Just got back from the park after visiting for a few hours.

Lines were almost nonexistent!

Powder Keg -15 mins

Wildfire -Walk on

Outlaw Run - 20 mins

Didn't have a ton of time to explore, was just trying to get a feel for the layout of the park and grab a few rides to prepare for a whole day in the park tomorrow. Absolutely beautiful park, definitely has Dollywood beat, which really surprised me, I guess you can say I'm a Dollywood fanboy.

Outlaw Run, WOW!!! I have no words for just how much fun that coaster is, it's just relentless beginning to end. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. First ride I was in the 3rd row and it was amazing, second ride I nabbed the backseat, while waiting in line, it went down about 45 mins before park close. They ran a few cycles of empty trains and then within 10 mins it was back up and running. The back is unbelievable. Absolutely blown away by this coaster.

Really really love this park.

^El Toro is in my home park and my favorite wooden roller coaster. I have to admit your comment is somewhat accurate in my case. I felt like Outlaw Run met my ridiculously high expectations but didn't exceed them because I've already ridden El Toro. They're still by far my top 2 woodies but I just didn't feel as wowed as everybody else. Though I tend to prefer rides with extreme airtime like El Toro and Skyrush so that could be why.

Since I haven't had a chance to ride El Toro I can't compare, but I will say all the debate reassures me that it's a fantastic coaster as well.

I will return to Silver Dollar City soon, and definitely will refer my friends.

Thanks for the heads up about the cave tour it was really really interesting to learn how much influence it had on the park.

Since we are on the topic... Having been on El Toro and Outlaw Run both many times each... I still prefer Outlaw Run. YES... El Toro is good, its really good! And it has a longer ride time... But something about the relentlessness of Outlaw Run gets me every time! However, they are both super amazing coasters, and both very extreme, and re-rideable!

Simple question for those in the know: is Outlaw Run a painful ride for taller people? I'm 6'3" and have not heard great things about the restraints on the legs. I'm sure this is one of those YMMV conditions, but I'd still like some idea of what to expect. Thanks.

Simple question for those in the know: is Outlaw Run a painful ride for taller people? I'm 6'3" and have not heard great things about the restraints on the legs. I'm sure this is one of those YMMV conditions, but I'd still like some idea of what to expect. Thanks.

I'm 6'2" and haven't had any issues with the restraints on Outlaw Run or Goliath. The original restraints on OR were a bit harder on the shins. no issues with the new ones for me.