TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Mwe really don't need something like fire chaser. We have powder keg. We need a good set of high thrill flat rides. Not another bunch of kiddie things that they keep getting.

I don't think any real high thrill flat rides would fit with SDC's theme. The Barn Swing is an exception, but most thrilling flat rides are noisy, tall, and modern looking. Coasters can be designed to hide in the terrain, flat rides can't. Plus, SDC is a family park, so a few fun family flats wouldn't hurt.

Well. A Zamperla giant discovery with a similar theme, maybe more would work really well if there was a clockwork themed area. Here like this.

image.jpg.6059c090a9b1aa68a44e377d5cdd497b.jpg

Just like we a bunch if gears and maybe some clocks on the sides

Yes I know, but I'm sure that silver dollar city could put in something like that and make it fit in. Barn swing is a very good example of this. Same with wildfire. The colors they used blended it in with the hillsides and forest

So when we were at SDC earlier this week, we noticed that Half Dollar Holler was missing its Lil' Swings. It looks to have been completely removed, as the queue and operator's booth are gone as well. Perhaps it is moving to Geyser Gulch? Anyone know anything about this?

0603141417.thumb.jpg.36b4715e633851aa9de5c2a1aec45665.jpg

The former Lil' Swings site in Half Dollar Holler.

I really did love the Wilderness Waterboggan, but I definitely remember long lines (or SDC) of at least 45 minute waits on almost every visit. One other thing I remember was that your group had to be weighed on a scale prior to boarding, so you were often paired up with other riders or your group could be split up depending on its weight/size. I know I rode it before and after 2003, but I never noticed any changes to the ride. I do remember trying to get as much air as possible on every turn by leaning into the turns, but consequently I got soaked.

As for the tower that still stands there, I am very surprised that the structure has not been removed seeing how SDC is such a beautiful park. I actually would bank on it being used for a future attraction, though I'm just not sure how.

Wildfire had about a 10 minute wait, which is the longest I have ever seen that line!!

The last two times I visited the park Wildfire was a walk on with a 1-2 train wait for the front row. I really like that they tend to run two trains even when the park is relatively empty, but it's also a little surprising because Wildfire is a pretty short ride. However, one thing I remember about waiting in long lines for Wildfire was the fairly elaborate story that goes along with the ride and it really does add to the experience of the ride.

I'll hopefully be visiting the park later this month! I can not wait to ride Outlaw Run again!

Edited by The Yeti

^^Yup, I mentioned that a few pages back. I have since heard that it was closed down and removed as recently as early May. I still think its and odd move, even if it is going to pop up again in Geyser Gulch. They went through all the trouble of hollowing out that area and making a toddler area, why suddenly decide to chop part of it off and move it to the next "new" area after just a year of operation? I was wondering if there was something problematic with that particular ride. I know parents weren't able to ride with their kids, which can be a liability in some cases.

^ Thanks. Do you know for sure that it's coming back in Geyser Gulch? You seem to be in the know on these things, and I wouldn't want it to have been sold off. I know, sounds weird, at least on a place like this where everyone seems to be most interested in the big new thrill rides, but my 2-year-old and 4-year-old really look forward to the Lil' Swings as a highlight of the day. One point of correction though: Half Dollar Holler's actually been there since 2011, so it's had 3 full seasons now--but yeah, very strange to be closing it down now so early in the season.They must have some plan for that area, but I'm not sure what. There's not much space there around the swinging bridge--and they just have to keep that bridge, it's too cool to remove.

^It's mostly speculation on my end at this point. Looks like there will almost definitely be something new for them in GG soon though. I actually heard over the weekend that the Swinging Bridge was closed, apparently so they could work on something in the old Lil' Swings space. I'd guess there's a new activity on the way there, hopefully it's not a pay-to-play game - they're trying to add a lot more of those lately.

Has it been three years already? Man, the last few years have been crazy for me and I haven't been keeping track of things as closely until now. Doesn't help that they've been skipping years between additions occasionally.

FYI: For anyone looking to buy Trailblazer passes at SDC be aware that the Trailblazer Super Pass says online "Good for UNLIMITED rides on eligible rides* -- Available for use on: Outlaw Run, PowderKeg, WildFire, The GIANT Barn Swing, Thunderation, Fire-In-The-Hole, American Plunge, Lost River of the Ozarks and RiverBlast." So it says online that you will get unlimited rides on pretty much everything. Including Outlaw Run. When you actually buy the tickets and print them out in fine print on the ticket it says "PLEASE NOTE: Trailblazer pass, and Trailblazer Super Pass are only good for one ride on Outlaw run." So it is rather disappointing to spend the near $70 for unlimited rides on the one ride that you really want it on, to be told online that you get unlimited rides on that ride, then to buy it and find out that you pretty much wasted your money, because nothing else in the park really has that long of a line to warrant needing a Trailblazer pass. Just thought I would give you all a heads up in case anyone was planning on buying the passes.

FYI: For anyone looking to buy Trailblazer passes at SDC be aware that the Trailblazer Super Pass says online "Good for UNLIMITED rides on eligible rides* -- Available for use on: Outlaw Run, PowderKeg, WildFire, The GIANT Barn Swing, Thunderation, Fire-In-The-Hole, American Plunge, Lost River of the Ozarks and RiverBlast." So it says online that you will get unlimited rides on pretty much everything. Including Outlaw Run. When you actually buy the tickets and print them out in fine print on the ticket it says "PLEASE NOTE: Trailblazer pass, and Trailblazer Super Pass are only good for one ride on Outlaw run." So it is rather disappointing to spend the near $70 for unlimited rides on the one ride that you really want it on, to be told online that you get unlimited rides on that ride, then to buy it and find out that you pretty much wasted your money, because nothing else in the park really has that long of a line to warrant needing a Trailblazer pass. Just thought I would give you all a heads up in case anyone was planning on buying the passes.

Well, when we went it was unlimited for outlaw run too, that was two or three weeks ago. So yes it's unlimited on all rides.

Any more info on geyser gulch

Well, when we went it was unlimited for outlaw run too, that was two or three weeks ago. So yes it's unlimited on all rides.

Any more info on geyser gulch

Just got off the phone with the park. They said that even the Super Trailblazer will not get you unlimited rides on Outlaw Run due to the popularity of the attraction. They suggested getting to the park early to ride Outlaw Run before it gets a long line, then using the pass later on in the day when the line gets long.

It sounds like ride foundations may be being poured in the clearing. Once again they sure aren't wasting any time, they only have 9 months until opening day 2015.

Hopefully that means this area will be themed and landscaped to the teeth. I know there will still be a lot to do within the current GG area as well, so maybe they are trying to get all the new area stuff done beforehand.

I was looking in trademarkia, and I found this: [attachment=0]orto.jpg[/attachment] Was Outlaw Run supposed to be named 'The Outlaw'? Was this for a different ride? I know it's expired now.

It could have been a copyright for Adventureland up in Iowa who has a wood coaster by that name. Not sure though.

I was looking in trademarkia, and I found this: [attachment=0]orto.jpg[/attachment] Was Outlaw Run supposed to be named 'The Outlaw'? Was this for a different ride? I know it's expired now.

It could have been a copyright for Adventureland up in Iowa who has a wood coaster by that name. Not sure though.

Outlaw Run's better anyway.

Yes outlaw run is WAY better. Alright so apparently brad Thomas, I think that's his name, was at cedar point the other day. Could they be considering adding something similar to the things at cedar point(another intamin blitz). I hope it's something good and not a pipescream clone. Well the have lector spin so I doubt that's what it'll be.

^The GM's name is indeed Brad Thomas.

I've been hearing a number of things about coaster projects at SDC over the last few years. As you can imagine, they work with quite a few ideas that may not ever get off the ground. It would not surprise me at all if they are checking out Gatekeeper and thinking about adding a wing coaster to SDC sometime within the next 5 years. Wild Eagle is still a hit, HFEC likes to repeat hits at other properties, and the concept is still novel to the SDC crowd. I had heard long ago that they checked out the Mystery Mine concept pretty extensively, but appear to have abandoned those pursuits.

I dunno though, I kind of think they'll go a different direction ultimately depending on how Branson tourism fares over the next year or two. Their plans are always in flux, and HFEC favors development in Pigeon Forge right now since it is doing so much better than Branson. I haven't heard of any of this year's numbers yet, but Branson has had a stagnation problem since the recession. I think they'll focus on moving the property towards being more of a resort at some point in the next five years rather than focusing on a coaster addition, but that's just my thought. I would be looking for ways to distance myself from the ups and downs of Branson if I were them.

^The GM's name is indeed Brad Thomas.

I've been hearing a number of things about coaster projects at SDC over the last few years. As you can imagine, they work with quite a few ideas that may not ever get off the ground. It would not surprise me at all if they are checking out Gatekeeper and thinking about adding a wing coaster to SDC sometime within the next 5 years. Wild Eagle is still a hit, HFEC likes to repeat hits at other properties, and the concept is still novel to the SDC crowd. I had heard long ago that they checked out the Mystery Mine concept pretty extensively, but appear to have abandoned those pursuits.

I dunno though, I kind of think they'll go a different direction ultimately depending on how Branson tourism fares over the next year or two. Their plans are always in flux, and HFEC favors development in Pigeon Forge right now since it is doing so much better than Branson. I haven't heard of any of this year's numbers yet, but Branson has had a stagnation problem since the recession. I think they'll focus on moving the property towards being more of a resort at some point in the next five years rather than focusing on a coaster addition, but that's just my thought. I would be looking for ways to distance myself from the ups and downs of Branson if I were them.

Very well put. Makes a lot of sense.