TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^Guessing the crowds at SDC is extremely tough, especially this year. I would say that there is a high likelyhood that it will be fairly crowded this weekend, especially with the midnight madness promotion, but you really never know. Crowds can be as low as 8,000 on days where it sprinkles in the morning, but then if the forecasters are saying it will be cool and clear then it will be backed out at 24,000. People here are so anxious about the weather.

Either way though you could certainly go and have a lot of fun. OR and PK might have fairly big lines, but everything else is usually easy enough to get on. Big lines at SDC are like 45mins-1hr, as opposed to the multi-hour waits you might see at other parks.

If you are picking between the two days, Tuesday is certainly a safer bet, though you won't have as much time.

^Thanks for the info. I got a little concerned when I tried to buy Trailblazer passes online, but they were sold out. But, then after looking at several other days, it looks like they only offer 10 Trailblazer passes online for each day. Weird.

-Jason

Not really fussed if the changes were planned or in response to recent events I just hope all the ppl on the current TPR tour get to ride (fingers crossed for you Thad!) as it would be a real downer for anyone to get zero of the big 3 credits on the trip.

If you get on a plane right now you could be there tomorrow to help me get on, Steve! We're 0 for 2 on RMC rides so far this trip. I'd hate to miss all 3.

Silver Dollar City Locals and Other Experts,

Anyone have a guesstimate about what kind of crowds we might expect to encounter on Saturday, August 3rd? I am trying to decide whether to go on that day or on Tuesday, August 6th. I like the idea that the park would be open until midnight on Saturday, but I am a bit anxious about how big the crowds might be.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

SDC closes at 6 or 7 every day, with the exception of these two weeks and the Christmas season, so the 10PM closures are especially popular, as the locals come out to get that rare nighttime ride. Notably, PowderKeg's pyro effect during the launch is really something at night. And of course, this is the first opportunity for nighttime rides on Outlaw Run. Add to this the unseasonably cool weather, with highs in the 70s and 80s at a time of year when we're usually in the high 90s, and everyone will be there. Personally, we're going to try to get down there this weekend, but if I weren't local, and were taking off work to do it, I'd definitely go on Tuesday. Yes, you'll lose a few hours in the evening, but you'll more than gain that back with the ride queues of 15 min. or less all day, versus 1 hour or more on Saturday.

The rest of the survey is up at SDCfans. It's very apparent that it looks like the drop tower at CC is on the way. Maybe it's a new one. And it's also apparent that Geyser Gulch is getting a makeover but much of the old footprint of the Waterboggan is untouched.

possible rides

don't mean to nit-pick but Celebration City didn't have a drop tower. It had an S&S Sky Shot but Imagine this is the move they are looking at. I bet SDC is getting tired of installing large scale air compressors for these rides..

Silver Dollar City Locals and Other Experts,

Anyone have a guesstimate about what kind of crowds we might expect to encounter on Saturday, August 3rd? I am trying to decide whether to go on that day or on Tuesday, August 6th. I like the idea that the park would be open until midnight on Saturday, but I am a bit anxious about how big the crowds might be.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

I think Saturday will be hit and miss, here is why:

Saturday has a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Heat index values as high as 100.

Saturday Night has a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71.

If the morning starts out with heavy rain, especially in Springfield you won't see a lot of locals aka Season Pass Holders. If they days start out nice then it will probably be quite busy. If it rains after lunch for any period of time, you typically see a lot of people leave. Where it all becomes unpredictable is at night. I would guess that if it's raining in the late afternoon people will probably stay home.

Even though there are several indoor options SDC on a hot muggy rainy day kinda sucks.

If you want to go to avoid the crowds, during the week is almost always better.

I believe they have Accelerator(I think that was the name?) still standing at 85 feet at Celebration City which could be used for that fire station idea. That was quite a good and intense drop tower for its height! I don't really care what they add next since Outlaw Run was so great...

I went to the park in June just after noon on a Tuesday, and the park was not very crowded at all. We walked on to Wildfire twice and waited a third time for the front seat, and I have to say that it seemed to be a bit smoother than last year which was a nice surprise. I rode Powder Keg 4 times, waiting about 10 minutes each time and twice being in the front seat. I have to say that I tend to forget how great the ride is...but really only the first half is great. It is also one of the very few coasters where I prefer to have the front seat over the back. The airtime/first half is way better in the front! Thunderation was also a walk on, and I didn't have to wait long for many of the other rides.

Outlaw Run was soooooo good...mind-blowing, almost as expected. When I rode in the front, I almost lost my shirt. Everything about the ride is just crazy, but the craziest parts were not where expected. There's the "corkscrew turn" in the double down which gives a bit of airtime, but just throws you in to the left side of the train - but somehow not jerky like a normal wooden coaster or even Thunderation. The "twist & turn" curve that goes under the lift hill might be the second most intense part of the ride, and it has great airtime. The barrel rolls are just about as good as any zero-g roll, and leaves every rider laughing and talking about it during the break run. An easy 5 stars for SDC! I will say that I was not a fan of the ankle/shin restrains...what is this, a flying coaster? The only other RMC coaster I've ridden was NTAG, and I don't remember them being there but I understand why they're there. I will also say that I still liked Maverick more than Outlaw Run, but I'll give Outlaw Run number 2 on my list.

Could this be for 2014? There seems to be lots of talk on a 2015 ride that will be the most expensive ride for the park, but that rumor could be wrong.

It wouldn't cost much to relocate the launch/drop tower and add some more kiddie rides. If it took over the Geyser Gulch area, (but kept the foam ball fort) it would be a nice area, sort of like an expansion of the Grand Exposition.

Speaking of Grand Exposition, while an area with family rides was needed, I think the themeing fell flat, at least in my opinion. A fair with carnival rides is so out of place in a small western town set in the late 1800's. But hey, little kids love it and it gives them a lot to do, and I only have to see it if I want to ride Electro Spin.

Back to topic, if this new area would refurbish the Geyser Gulch area and still leave a budget for a big attraction in 2015, I think it would be great.

If they bring in the firework factory theme, this could even potentially bring a fireworks show over the riverfront in the near future. At least, that idea came to me when I saw that picture.

So I don't know what those guys over at SDCFans are talking about. I fit just fine and I haven't seen anyone get kicked off yet! I'm a big guy and it wasn't even tight on me! All of our "fattys" were able to fit just fine tonight!

[vine]

[/vine]

image.thumb.jpg.af2cf1d82f550f1ee5254c0221b58f47.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.093205976c4c68a00603f1d647016a13.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.211b07cba904d8cb5665e5a1620f0d5c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5e9bf9494e4293a2e1167dce1012917f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2893d9abdb943aa43c6b13c8ad6213c5.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3d04522767bcfc7cd5e1d42af2575527.jpg

Even our biggest rider only needed a slight push and was able to ride multiple times tonight!

Edited by robbalvey

So I don't know what those guys over at SDCFans are talking about. I fit just fine and I haven't seen anyone get kicked off yet! I'm a big guy and it wasn't even tight on me!

Good news Robb! Wish I was there!

Edited by robbalvey

So I don't know what those guys over at SDCFans are talking about. I fit just fine and I haven't seen anyone get kicked off yet! I'm a big guy and it wasn't even tight on me!

Did Thad make it Ok? Have been worried about him with all the talk of extreme restraints

Edited by TPDave

Every year when a ground breaking ride opens, something always happens and they make some kind of an adjustment. Then when that happens there is always those people that freak out and blow it up. I remember when they put the trims I305 and people when crazy.

It's not just a fat issue, it's a length issue for some. You'd come up to my chin. Longer legs make the lap bar sit higher because it raises your thighs up. But... by all means generalize away. As for the fitness remark, come duck hunting with me in flooded timber and walk in water thigh to waist deep in neoprene waders all morning long and see how long you last. Just a friendly challenge. One poster with zero reason to lie said the restraints changed from fri to sat to sun last week. Wonder if they tinkered with them some more during the week. You got bigger man boobs than me. Hope the wood doesn't swell, the forecast isn't promising.

I'm the guy in the last picture, and I'm 6'6" and also pretty big. I've lost a lot of weight, but yes, I'm still a fattie. I was able to ride tonight.

OH The Drama! I was never really worried when people started talking about adjustments. SDC is just doing what they have to do! Safety is number one priority! IT SHOULD BE! But like Robb said adjustments take time! The parks aren't out to punish tall people or fatties like me! Fact is, if there was a safe restraint system that would allow ALL people to ride every park would have it! They just do the best they can and it looks to me like they are doing just fine! WAY TO GO SDC YOU ROCK!

I'm the guy in the last picture, and I'm 6'6" and also pretty big. I've lost a lot of weight, but yes, I'm still a fattie. I was able to ride tonight.

Propa to you for your MethodOne shirt.

Edited by robbalvey

Silver Dollar City is a fantastic park, I am going out there in October and it will be my first visit since the 80s. Although I am most looking forward to Outlaw Run and Wildfire, it will be great to see how much the park has progressed. I have been hearing a rumor in several places of another major new B&M coaster for 2015, so they must be doing well.

Well, since big guys (apparently both in belly and height) have been riding without issue my 5'9" 36 waist should be fine

I think it's about time to just forget all that and get back to the park and ride.

I still will have a good but of vaca/sick time after WCB and it must be used by years end or I lose it.

Hmm....SDC IS open in October still, and I have wanted to see St Louis for a while. Think I may just man up and go out here, looks like a fun park and I need to get on Outlaw Run

Silver Dollar City is a fantastic park, I am going out there in October and it will be my first visit since the 80s. Although I am most looking forward to Outlaw Run and Wildfire, it will be great to see how much the park has progressed. I have been hearing a rumor in several places of another major new B&M coaster for 2015, so they must be doing well.

Perhaps a Wingrider, following suit with Dollywood?

^That's the rumor I have heard in several places...they already have a sit down, and I don't see them getting an inverted/flyer/hyper. Given the success of Wild Eagle and the fact that it offers thrills while still being family friendly (especially with the 50" height requirement) I could definitely see them going that route.