TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Say, isn't the S&S tower at Shuttered City down the road about 85ft. tall? SDC is sending out surveys via email and shared at SDCfans

A rework of Geyser Gulch themed to a fireworks factory

Two more concepts to come.

one to feature the old balloon ride and firefighters(hmmmmm, a rework of FITH?)

The Fireworks Factory concept looks interesting. I also wouldn't mind seeing a revamp of Fire in the Hole. Updated animatronics and effects could do the ride wonders.

I've suggested that it would a perfect candidate for a drop track element.

Keep story line and soundtrack just re-record them in digital

update tech used in animatronics, sound and special effects

Put drop element at burning bridge

As you start to cross the bridge, a timber in flames drops across the track ahead stopping you on the bridge and then you drop i and launched into the dark finale and save the splash somehow and the oncoming train.

It sounds like they're evaluating various ways of throwing a few more Zamperla rides into the park. That's cool with me, but as I've rambled about on my forums I hope they do a better job than they did with GE. I know a lot of us here have experienced the special atmosphere that SDC has, and I feel like this is the first of a number of projects aimed at refurbishing areas of the park with modern amenities such as off-the-shelf rides. What they do here will possibly have a major impact on the feel on the rest of the park and how they approach additions in the future.

To understand my thoughts on the matter, you have to know that I have always viewed SDC as an experience in and of itself from the moment you step into the park, rather than a collection of experiences (ie: rides) like how most SF and CF parks are setup. The SDC "purists" always bitch and moan about developments like these because we worry the park will loose the charm that made it so successful from the beginning. Of course, the park and chain isn't run by idiots and they fully well know the power that the SDC brand and atmosphere has, and they've done a pretty good job at sustaining it into the many new areas of the park that have been built over the last decade.

It's always interesting year after year to watch the park negotiate around the minefield of expanding to meet modern tastes and demands while also staying true to what has always made them successful - that's why I've always followed the park so closely.

Anyway, all that to say that if they end up going forward with something like this I hope they continue to improve their thematics this time around if they're going to be renovating an area. The Geyser Gulch area has always been a bit off from the rest of the park already, but it at least had a lot of influence from the original storylines of the park. Rube Dugan was originally going to be re-introduced as a character in the area with a little stage show and everything. A firework factory would just be completely out of left field.

It sounds like they're evaluating various ways of throwing a few more Zamperla rides into the park. That's cool with me, but as I've rambled about on my forums I hope they do a better job than they did with GE. I know a lot of us here have experienced the special atmosphere that SDC has, and I feel like this is the first of a number of projects aimed at refurbishing areas of the park with modern amenities such as off-the-shelf rides. What they do here will possibly have a major impact on the feel on the rest of the park and how they approach additions in the future.

To understand my thoughts on the matter, you have to know that I have always viewed SDC as an experience in and of itself from the moment you step into the park, rather than a collection of experiences (ie: rides) like how most SF and CF parks are setup. The SDC "purists" always bitch and moan about developments like these because we worry the park will loose the charm that made it so successful from the beginning. Of course, the park and chain isn't run by idiots and they fully well know the power that the SDC brand and atmosphere has, and they've done a pretty good job at sustaining it into the many new areas of the park that have been built over the last decade.

It's always interesting year after year to watch the park negotiate around the minefield of expanding to meet modern tastes and demands while also staying true to what has always made them successful - that's why I've always followed the park so closely.

Anyway, all that to say that if they end up going forward with something like this I hope they continue to improve their thematics this time around if they're going to be renovating an area. The Geyser Gulch area has always been a bit off from the rest of the park already, but it at least had a lot of influence from the original storylines of the park. Rube Dugan was originally going to be re-introduced as a character in the area with a little stage show and everything. A firework factory would just be completely out of left field.

Before the very light rain started this past Sun. GE was the most crowded place(sans outlaw run) in the park with the line for the kiddie coaster past the check station at the entrance to the queue. They were only doing two trips around the track instead of three. All the cycle times seemed shorter. The GE area's trees and shurbs are really starting to fill out and taking away the feel of an asphalt travelling carnival. The Dog show was playing to full houses at the 2 and 4 pm shows at Red Gold. I think the Suits sees this popularity with families with young children and realize that Half Dollar was a bit too small of an addition as well . When they shut down Outlaw Run the giant swing's line went all the way across to the fruit stand. They only had one of the high low silo towers going and the line was slow for them.

The poster's father was able to ride if on Fri but not on Sat.

Is he still alive? Yes? GREAT! That means the ride will be open.

Sorry, but I just have no patience for people who bitch about when a park makes a change like this. You people think they are doing it to spite you and there isn't any reason behind it.

NEWS FLASH! They are doing this for a reason. I'd much rather see a ride with a different restraint than have a ride closed, trimmed, or modified due to an accident where someone points fingers at the train.

--Robb "This is another reason why I simply cannot stand 'park-centric' fan sites." Alvey

More info about how restrictive the new restraints for Outlaw Run got at Screamscape. Think it is more than tinkering with the prototype. Men being turned away in droves it says, waist sizes past 36 very iffy.

*facepalm* This post is a joke. Please stop posting here if you're going to post garbage like this. Thanks.

--Robb "Men being turned away in doves. Seriously? Just stop..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

More info about how restrictive the new restraints for Outlaw Run got at Screamscape. Think it is more than tinkering with the prototype. Men being turned away in droves it says, waist sizes past 36 very iffy.

*facepalm* This post is a joke. Please stop posting here if you're going to post garbage like this. Thanks.

Hey Robb, what happens if they turn you away Saturday??? Just askin....

I would Not throw an immature sh1t fit, be respectful of what the park had to do, and most importantly lose 25 pounds.

Edited by robbalvey

Not throw an immature sh1t fit, be respectful of what the park had to do, and most importantly lose 25 pounds.

I like your answer Robb. If I ever got denied on a ride (besides kiddy ones) due to my size, that would be a great inspiration for me to diet and exercise vigorously to lose weight. But as long as I don't gain weight, I am fine on any non-kiddy ride.

Edited by 805Andrew

The only, kinda, concern is if there's a legit need for this or just over reaction but Robb said it best, my friend shed 40 pounds after getting the boot from MForce and TTD, coasters aside that's just a good thing!

I just recently made a lot of good lifestyle changes after really having to shove the Maverick restraint down at Cedar Point last May in order to make the belt click in. I might have had an advantage here because I have a pretty physically demanding job moving heavy boxes around at a Walmart so I get a lot of exercise already, but I went on the <2,000 calorie diet for a while. Look at all this slack I got from our trip last week!

1004484_668494469846250_1781979360_n.jpg

So that was just 2.5 months and I managed to do that. I am no longer worried about flying all the way to Tampa to get turned away from Cheetah Hunt this coming October and while I will still need to lose a lot of weight if I ever go to Silver Dollar City, this goes to show just how easy it can be. If you're going to Silver Dollar City, just do what I did and you'll be fine! Don't get discouraged!

Enough about me being fat. I honestly think this is a temporary fix for this situation. If they turn enough people away and get enough complaints about this, they'll probably add belts or something in the off season. There's enough people with 36+ waists that this should have a decent effect on ridership.

The park will be open until midnight this Saturday for the first time ever. It's yet another extension of their Moonlight Madness event each summer. I think it's rather strange, but it essentially allows them to bring in two sets of crowds on a single day, giving them much higher attendance. It also encourages people who want to come out just to ride the rides for cheap or avoid the daytime heat.

Regarding the OR changes, I'm sure there are more adjustments that can and will be made. There is a right way to approach the issue, and while I certainly understand the frustrations, we just have to be patient that it will all be sorted out soon. I do kind of wish HFEC would stop buying prototypes for this reason though - they used to have a really good reputation for ride reliability before PK was added. I guess it helped that they had far fewer rides back then as well.

Not really fussed if the changes were planned or in response to recent events I just hope all the ppl on the current TPR tour get to ride (fingers crossed for you Thad!) as it would be a real downer for anyone to get zero of the big 3 credits on the trip.

I just got back from silver dollar city, and is it just me or is powder keg getting really shaky. It feels like that side to side x-car rough. On other note we rode outlaw run a lot! For me it wins my overall 1 one roller coaster. In my opinion it is better than millennium force and even el toro. The airtime on it is insane. It seems that like every element on it is airtime. First drop your off the seat, outer banked turn your off the seat. Double down your off the seat. Double up your off the seat. 90 degree twist through the lift your off your seat. Wave turn your off the seat. Low bunny hill your off the seat and the double barrel roll your off the seat twice. It has to be the best coaster ever built. :

The rest of the survey is up at SDCfans. It's very apparent that it looks like the drop tower at CC is on the way. Maybe it's a new one. And it's also apparent that Geyser Gulch is getting a makeover but much of the old footprint of the Waterboggan is untouched.

possible rides

I wanted to let anyone interested know that I'm 5'11 225 lbs with a 38-40 inch waist and rode Outlaw Run twice yesterday and today. They do have a test seat that lights green if ok at the entrance and an attendant telling people to try it before entering the line. Unfortunately many people didn't pay attention. I did see an average of 1 person per train that wouldn't fit and would have to get off. It did really slow the line as the operators tried to push the bar down far enough only for the light to stay red. Then the person would have to take the walk of shame. Many weren't that much bigger than me but just had more a spare tire. On a positive note the ride is incredible. There's not much more to add than what has already been said. Being that this is RMC first full coaster I can't wait to see what the future holds for them.

Silver Dollar City Locals and Other Experts,

Anyone have a guesstimate about what kind of crowds we might expect to encounter on Saturday, August 3rd? I am trying to decide whether to go on that day or on Tuesday, August 6th. I like the idea that the park would be open until midnight on Saturday, but I am a bit anxious about how big the crowds might be.

Thanks so much!

-Jason