TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^The loading platform you are referring to is left over from the Waterworks (formerly Wilderness) Waterboggin. It was almost exactly like DW's Waterboggin, but in 2003 someone got the bright idea to try to change it to make it wilder and wetter. Those changes apparently resulted in making it more dangerous, and sometime around 2008/2009 it was completely removed without warning or replacement.

The path by Geyser Gulch was where Splash Harbor used to be, which was an awesome little water play area. It was removed at the same time without warning or replacement. I guess they though the new Riverblast was a good way to consolidate all of that.

I forgot to respond to the gluten comments earlier, but unfortunately I don't have much good advice to give you. My father is also a celiac patient, and we now pretty much find it easier to just leave the park to eat. They used to have a few options available, but it seems like each year they forget how to deal with food allergies and the options get more limited. The Mine buffet off of the main square might have a few options (ask for directions).

Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that in 2015 the park will be getting another Bolliger & Mabillard coaster that will be the by far the most expensive project to date for the park.

Could it be the first 4th dimension coaster by B&M? Or just a normal wing coaster (which would still be a great coaster).

Also, what about an inverted coaster? Would the cost of one be more than what the park paid for Wildfire?

Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that in 2015 the park will be getting another Bolliger & Mabillard coaster that will be the by far the most expensive project to date for the park.

Could it be the first 4th dimension coaster by B&M? Or just a normal wing coaster (which would still be a great coaster).

Also, what about an inverted coaster? Would the cost of one be more than what the park paid for Wildfire?

The park is getting something big in 2015, that much we know for certain, and it is likely to be a roller coaster. I think whatever it is will be a big deal to the park, but I don't know if it will be another groundbreaking coaster. Remember in 1999 SDC built Buzzsaw Falls, a "first-in-the-world," then followed it up in 2001 with Wildfire, a B&M looper, and then in 2003 with Ozark Wildcat, a GCI woodie--both very standard rides in their construction, yet outstanding in their quality--before trying another coaster that pushed the envelope, Powder Keg, in 2004. So I think it'd be wise for the park after Outlaw Run to build something a bit less edgy. Personally, I'm hoping for a Eurofighter, possibly in the space between Geyser Gulch and the Grand Expo, where the Waterboggan used to be. It's a small space, and a Eurofighter would fit it well. Plus, since the park is definitely geared toward families with younger children, I think a Eurofighter would fit better in the park than a wingrider would.

The park is getting something big in 2015, that much we know for certain, and it is likely to be a roller coaster. I think whatever it is will be a big deal to the park, but I don't know if it will be another groundbreaking coaster. Remember in 1999 SDC built Buzzsaw Falls, a "first-in-the-world," then followed it up in 2001 with Wildfire, a B&M looper, and then in 2003 with Ozark Wildcat, a GCI woodie--both very standard rides in their construction, yet outstanding in their quality--before trying another coaster that pushed the envelope, Powder Keg, in 2004. So I think it'd be wise for the park after Outlaw Run to build something a bit less edgy. Personally, I'm hoping for a Eurofighter, possibly in the space between Geyser Gulch and the Grand Expo, where the Waterboggan used to be. It's a small space, and a Eurofighter would fit it well. Plus, since the park is definitely geared toward families with younger children, I think a Eurofighter would fit better in the park than a wingrider would.

So, you are considering Celebration City an, at the time, up charge extension of SDC for OZ Cat.

Whitewater needs lots of help.

One of those concept GCI wooden shuttle coasters would fit in well where the Waterboggan was and would keep HFE trend of going for firsts or one of the firsts ride offerings. But they supposedly have this deal already done.

So, you are considering Celebration City an, at the time, up charge extension of SDC for OZ Cat.

One of those concept GCI wooden shuttle coasters would fit in well where the Waterboggan was and would keep HFE trend of going for firsts or one of the firsts ride offerings. But they supposedly have this deal already done.

Yes, Celebration City was marketed as an add-on park. All the advertising at the time showed SDC during the day and CC at night. So it very much was intended to be the place you go after you've done everything at SDC.

And agreed on Whitewater. I'm not sure exactly how much land HFE owns around that area, but I've always thought that if they're going to keep it in the current location, they ought to move the parking lot across Pat Nash and expand the park right up to the outlet mall and Gretna Rd. That'd give them plenty of space for another pool and a couple of slide complexes, which would really help give a sense of value for the money. Whitewater's just too expensive for what you get.

Yes, Celebration City was marketed as an add-on park. All the advertising at the time showed SDC during the day and CC at night. So it very much was intended to be the place you go after you've done everything at SDC.

And agreed on Whitewater. I'm not sure exactly how much land HFE owns around that area, but I've always thought that if they're going to keep it in the current location, they ought to move the parking lot across Pat Nash and expand the park right up to the outlet mall and Gretna Rd. That'd give them plenty of space for another pool and a couple of slide complexes, which would really help give a sense of value for the money. Whitewater's just too expensive for what you get.

2 things

1. Celebration may have been marketed as the place to go after SDC, but when you consider SDC would close between 6pm and 7pm and celebration city would close at 9 to 10 pm. Explain to me ANY value in paying $35+ for 3 hours of entertainment. It was NEVER in my opinion a viable add on maybe if they were open 'til midnight like the rest of the town is.

2. White water needs ALOT of help. I have always been told that the property it's on is owned by the city of Branson and under a long term lease with them. With that being said expansion is so easy for them, lease the property up to the edge of the outlet mall, make it parking and move the entrance. Besides they have a whole hill side on that end of the park that isn't being used either.

I've been thinking about this since my last visit to SDC, and I agree that it will be put where the toboggans were. They could put a huge invertigo coaster there like aftershock. Or maybe like possessed. Just put something kinda small. I hope it would be another coaster. They have enough flat rides.

I imagine a B&M invert would fit in the place (go back and watch the episode of undercover boss). But I can't see them putting a noisy coaster there. If you look at the way they have operated, SDC has been very methodical and deliberate about coaster placement. That space is near too many things that might not benefit from the increased noise. Outdoor Theater, Culinary School, the walk through shopping area, etc. Not to mention, overall it's WAY to close to the train.

I've been thinking about this since my last visit to SDC, and I agree that it will be put where the toboggans were. They could put a huge invertigo coaster there like aftershock. Or maybe like possessed. Just put something kinda small. I hope it would be another coaster. They have enough flat rides.

LOL, SDC has 2 major flat rides and only a handful of smaller ones for the kids.

Looks like there's no stopping the tide of SDC becoming a typical thrill park now. It's been so long since I've heard people talk about SDC and not mention a coaster (excluding on SDCFans of course). I just want them to stay unique.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'd rather have something like Adventure mountain. I wish that had worked out for DW, because it seemed like an attempt to do something to set themselves apart from all the other parks out there. All the rumors now suggest that they're just going to fill the place with rides and compete directly with SF. This probably isn't the best place to get on my soapbox about this again, but the things I enjoy the most about SDC are the things they do differently than every other park.

Not that I'd mind another new coaster, I just hope it's more immerse this time. I'd love to see them model after a Disney attraction again.

I imagine a B&M invert would fit in the place (go back and watch the episode of undercover boss). But I can't see them putting a noisy coaster there. If you look at the way they have operated, SDC has been very methodical and deliberate about coaster placement. That space is near too many things that might not benefit from the increased noise. Outdoor Theater, Culinary School, the walk through shopping area, etc. Not to mention, overall it's WAY to close to the train.

The train can be re-routed if they take out the employee parking lot that's back there, which they probably will end up doing regardless. Or the coaster can go over the tracks; Outlaw Run goes over the tracks twice without any interruption to either ride. Not to mention the giant structure that's there right now that's built right over the tracks and served as a queue for decades. I don't think the train's going to be an issue. Noise, yes, and for that reason I just don't see them getting another B&M. Wildfire was one of their most successful additions to the park, so they certainly don't have any bones to pick with B&M; I just don't see them going that direction. I would be totally satisfied with a Mystery Mine type coaster; it would fit well in the space and would hit that family thrill market that is their core audience.

The train can be re-routed if they take out the employee parking lot that's back there, which they probably will end up doing regardless. Or the coaster can go over the tracks; Outlaw Run goes over the tracks twice without any interruption to either ride. Not to mention the giant structure that's there right now that's built right over the tracks and served as a queue for decades. I don't think the train's going to be an issue. Noise, yes, and for that reason I just don't see them getting another B&M. Wildfire was one of their most successful additions to the park, so they certainly don't have any bones to pick with B&M; I just don't see them going that direction. I would be totally satisfied with a Mystery Mine type coaster; it would fit well in the space and would hit that family thrill market that is their core audience.

Wildfire is very quite to me.

Wildfire is very quite to me.

You can hear it as soon as you enter the park, especially if you get there at opening. And I think it is a valid point that the Riverfront is pretty much a shopping district and a noisy coaster would detract from this lucrative area of the park.

This change has been in the works for a while in an attempt to increase rider comfort. Keep in mind that it is a prototype train, lessons are being learned and will be applied to not only this, but new builds alike. One of those lessons was that the shin guard was not very comfortable to park guests.

The park is responsible for setting the lab bar position sensors on the trains. As long as they meet minimum spec, they can be set anywhere the park desires.

This change has been in the works for a while in an attempt to increase rider comfort. Keep in mind that it is a prototype train, lessons are being learned and will be applied to not only this, but new builds alike. One of those lessons was that the shin guard was not very comfortable to park guests.

The park is responsible for setting the lab bar position sensors on the trains. As long as they meet minimum spec, they can be set anywhere the park desires.

So the goal is to increase rider comfort by decreasing the percentage of the GP able to ride it? There's a first hand account on SDCfans. I didn't get to ride it yesterday as it went down around 5 and wasn't open as of 8:15 as we checked before we left .

But lots of folks that enjoyed their rides previously were not happy. They had near 24,00o on Sat and many that had rode it before waited hours to be turned away.

So the goal is to increase rider comfort by decreasing the percentage of the GP able to ride it? There's a first hand account on SDCfans. I didn't get to ride it yesterday as it went down around 5 and wasn't open as of 8:15 as we checked before we left .

But lots of folks that enjoyed their rides previously were not happy. They had near 24,00o on Sat and many that had rode it before waited hours to be turned away.

Again, the position sensors are at the parks discretion. When the bars were changed out, the sensors would have been re-calibrated. The shin guards were redesigned for rider comfort in the shin area.

It's also plausible that those who were able to ride before gained a little weight after eating all those SDC Skillets.

The poster's father was able to ride if on Fri but not on Sat. Had nothing to do with skillet meals but length. Anyhoo, lots of locals that go are complaining about it's down time and now this isn't making a great opening for a teriffic ride if you can find it open and able to ride. The weather seems to be hurting the City' numbers this year as well.

The problem is making locals and the GP mad in general is never good boding for a park in any ways. Just keep in mind the guest you piss off could be the concierge at a hotel with large number of rooms that steers a guest to some other attraction. To be honest Outlaw Run is the ONLY and I mean ONLY reason I purchased season passes this year.

The problem is making locals and the GP mad in general is never good boding for a park in any ways. Just keep in mind the guest you piss off could be the concierge at a hotel with large number of rooms that steers a guest to some other attraction. To be honest Outlaw Run is the ONLY and I mean ONLY reason I purchased season passes this year.

You hit that right on the button. Locals, folks within 3 hours or less helped make Sat so crowded with the perfect weather. They hadn't had a day like that all summer. It's the folks that filled it last season during wonderful weather during spring break. Those locals are Arkansans, Okies, Missourians, and Kansans. They all like to eat. Lots of them are just big ol' boys. It can not be understated how much SDC is benefitting from growth in the region especially Northwest Arkansas. It's a whole lot easier to get there than just 5 years ago with slow but steady improvement to the area highways. SDC's sister water park is woefully behind it's regional competition and needs major love. For all the moaning over the Grand Exposition area from purist it was the busiest part of the park at 2:30. The longest wait in the area was for the kiddie coaster.