TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Okay, so I have no way of knowing if this is true but a few whispers I keep hearing are that SDC is going back back to B&M to give us B&M's first fourth dimension coaster. Again I don't have any way of proving this it's just a couple whispers I've heard. We shall know soon enough I suppose.

I've never been there before, but from what I've seen of the park, a huge 4D coaster seems like an odd choice.

Actually it sort of fits what SDC has been doing lately. Their rides are getting more and more intense. People get this idea of SDC being a family park with low thrills but trust me recently their rides have been getting more intense. I wouldn't say Powder Keg is a family ride and Outlaw Run is anything but. SDC is starting to push the thrills in their park so their next coaster will most likely be bigger and more thrilling than the last! Although it's gonna be damned hard to beat Outlaw Run that ride is sick!

Thanks guys very much for the info!

Jfruge,

About the route - google maps takes me up US75 from Dallas North into Oklahoma to I-40, east into Arkansas to I-540. North on I-540 to around Bentonville area then east on US-62 through Pine Knob Conservation area to finally coming up to Silver Dollar City from the south on 13. This way looks more direct but looks like the scenery would be pretty nice.

Google Maps has an alternate route to take I-44 through Northern Oklahoma to Springfield then down to Branson. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned takes forever?

Thanks again!

I live south of OKC and I take 35 to 44 and then south on 65 into Branson . 5 hours tops. North Dallas is 2.5 hours straight south on 35 from me. I can't imagine a better route. OK turnpikes are 75mph so is i35 north of Denton to OK border.

Thanks guys very much for the info!

Jfruge,

About the route - google maps takes me up US75 from Dallas North into Oklahoma to I-40, east into Arkansas to I-540. North on I-540 to around Bentonville area then east on US-62 through Pine Knob Conservation area to finally coming up to Silver Dollar City from the south on 13. This way looks more direct but looks like the scenery would be pretty nice.

Google Maps has an alternate route to take I-44 through Northern Oklahoma to Springfield then down to Branson. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned takes forever?

Thanks again!

I live south of OKC and I take 35 to 44 and then south on 65 into Branson . 5 hours tops. North Dallas is 2.5 hours straight south on 35 from me. I can't imagine a better route. OK turnpikes are 75mph so is i35 north of Denton to OK border.

Most folks here in Fayetteville get to Dallas in under 6 hrs. We have a very larger student pop at the U of A from the Metroplex and it's growing as we offer in state tuition to qualified students from there. But your route is all interstate for the most part so that is a plus.

Looks like I will be going to SDC this Saturday. I am DJ'in a wedding in Dallas on Friday so I thought it may be a good weekend to check out Outlaw run. Also on the way back I can drop by Frontier City for my first time on Sunday.

Looks like I am going to try the 75 to 69 to I44 route. It's going to be a whole lot of driving this weekend since I will be starting the journey from Rosharon, TX just south of Houston on Friday.

I'm at SDC right now...waiting in line for Outlaw Run. It appears that the sensors that operate the station brakes are the guilty party in the consistent breakdowns. In fact, just now they are having to evac a train from both the lift and the pre-station brake run. I'll keep everyone updated!

^^ Johnny,

Do NOT take the I44 route, take I40 to Ft. Smith then 540 to Fayettville, then 412 to hwy 65. You will save yourself a lot of time and heartache, plus this route is free (no tolls). Outlaw Run is tending to breakdown at mostly midday hours. Try to get here early and hit it first.

Looks like I will be going to SDC this Saturday. I am DJ'in a wedding in Dallas on Friday so I thought it may be a good weekend to check out Outlaw run. Also on the way back I can drop by Frontier City for my first time on Sunday.

Looks like I am going to try the 75 to 69 to I44 route. It's going to be a whole lot of driving this weekend since I will be starting the journey from Rosharon, TX just south of Houston on Friday.

On the way there id follow the guy above's advice. 75-40-540 etc... no 69 to 44.

On the way back take 65 to 44 all of the way to frontier city. Do not take any other route as it will not be even close to as fast.

The FC water park opens Saturday. Its pretty cool if you have someone small. I'll be there Sunday so we may bump into each other... in a non creepy way lol

I think I have free admission tickets this Sunday too.

Just download and print these

https://www.frontiercity.com/season-passes/coupons/

And message me what time and I'll get you in free if I can be there at that time.

Edited by angrynerdjosh

I'm not sure of any discount tickets unless they're sold through the ticket brokers here locally. Today was a particularly busy day, Lots 1,2,3 and 5 were full plus Bus and Disabled parking, and they were moving lines quite smoothly. Outlaw Run was running both trains, but was down 3 times in the 3 hours I was at the park. I'm sure this ride is getting some last minute kinks worked out...even so, it is totally worth waiting to ride. I finally was able to take a ride in the very last seat...it is an absolute must for any coaster enthusiast. Wildfire and Thunderation were running one train a piece. Wildfire had a decent sized line, and was using all but the upstairs portion of its queue. Thunderation was all but walk-on. Today had several big named artists presenting concerts, so there were lines for the theaters that were substantially long, but again, the park ran as smooth as always, and friendly as ever. Again, if you have not ridden Outlaw Run, do yourself the favor of making the trek to Branson. I promise it's worth your while.

Just got to Outlaw Run. Thanks again all for the recommendations. Took 412 and it was almost exactly 7 hrs door to door.

Unfortunately the ride is down right now. Just went down. Good news is I got right up front for the back seat. I'm waiting it out!

Ended up getting 4 laps in before park close - 2 in back seat and 2 in front seat. Wow what a ride! The ejector air has my big thighs bruised already but in a good way. I can't say yet which seat I like better. I can say that the sensations are nothing like any wooden coaster I've ever ridden. Only knock I can give it is for how short the ride is. But holy cow is it short and sweet. Totally worth the 7 hr drive up...and I haven't even explored the rest of the park. That's for tomorrow.

--Justin

Just got to Outlaw Run. Thanks again all for the recommendations. Took 412 and it was almost exactly 7 hrs door to door.

Unfortunately the ride is down right now. Just went down. Good news is I got right up front for the back seat. I'm waiting it out!

540 is pretty scenic with a tunnel to boot. Just drove up it at sunset today from going to the Memphis Zoo, The Pandas were kicking back and relaxing. Can't wait for the start of the Zambezi themed Hippo exhibit gets going. Smaller zoo but pound for pound one of the best in the Nation.

Thank you all of the travel advice. Just got back from SDC. Outlaw Run was amazing. Definitely on my top 5. It was pretty crowded when I was there last Saturday, but the operations in this park are amazing. They moved the lines very efficiently. I only waited 45 minute for Outlaw Run with pretty much a full queue.

Quick recap of my visit:

Got to the park at 8:30 for some breakfast of coke and ridiculously good pecan roll thing from the bakery. The park was pretty empty even at 9:30 when they dropped the chains to allow guests back to the rides

Following someone's advice from earlier, I separated from the crowds heading to Outlaw Run and went straight to Powder Keg. The maintenance crew was still doing their morning checks so we didn't get to ride until close to 10am. I got 6 laps in before any crowds really showed up. What a great coaster! This ride wasn't even on my radar and it really surprised me! My best run was in the front seat on an almost empty train. The ejection over the first hill was amazing. The last little turn/drop thing before the brake run is also a nice surprise. I really enjoyed this ride.

I went next to Wildfire. The crowds were starting to show up now. Got 1 ride in and thought it was a pretty standard B&M floored coaster. Smooth as silk but nothing I'd travel to ride again.

Back to Outlaw Run to try it again after my 4 quick laps the night before. I found out very quickly that I was really pretty bruised from my 4 laps the night before. The ride was still amazingly intense and wild but I found myself cringing from the lapbar being smooshed into my thighs on the air time pops. I have big quads so my legs were pushed into the totally unpadded ornate side bars as well. The thing is...the ride is not at all uncomfortable the first day. You could ride 20x and not feel bruised or sore. Its the next day that gets you. For anyone planning a multiday trip to SDC, hit outlaw run as much as you can the first day because, if you're like me, you'll not want to ride it much the next day.

I rode some flats, the mine train, and ate some pretty sub-par bbq from the Bluegrass and BBQ festival area then headed back to Dallas and my 7 hour drive.

All in all, I enjoyed the park and really REALLY loved Outlaw Run (when i wasn't bruised). Powder Keg was a real surprise and treat! Definitely worth the 7 hr drive. For those of you who have been to Dollywood, SDC is similar but I have to give it to Dollywood for staff being overly nicer, food being better, and the park generally looking nicer. Still, SDC is well worth a visit for anyone considering!

^We need more launched coasters like Powder Keg.

Indeed. I always liked the ride, but it wasn't until I started reading the forum here that I really began to appreciate it. I haven't been on that many coasters, and all but one have been in the Midwest, so I just didn't realize it was unique. I second that this ride deserves the front seat. The airtime is always good, but is extra special in the front. Plus, because the station building is rather narrow, and you come in behind the eighth row, you kind of have to squeeze past the crowd to get to the front. Consequently, the front line queue tends to be just about the same length as all the others.