TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

That's too bad to hear about the downtime, but it is a new coaster and it's somewhat expected. I just hope they get it all worked out quickly! At least they have Cinnamon bread for sale. That is definitely a comparable alternative.

New rides are always a bit finicky the first few months they're open--just ask BGW about Verbolten. They always need some time to work out the bugs, but I'm sure SDC will have Outlaw Run sorted out soon.

I was at the park last week Wednesday. The big midwest storm had passed about 30 miles north of the park so it was 81 degrees and sunny ALL DAY! Nobody was at the park either... like literally... nobody. There were times we would walk into the Outlaw Run station, completely empty, walk right into any row (front, back, didn't matter) and jump right on! Now's the time to go, if you can go during the week. Beautiful weather and no crowds.

Hillary in the station with NOBODY THERE!: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=358942450893433&l=0e0c7ffe72

That's too bad to hear about the downtime, but it is a new coaster and it's somewhat expected. I just hope they get it all worked out quickly! At least they have Cinnamon bread for sale. That is definitely a comparable alternative.

New rides are always a bit finicky the first few months they're open--just ask BGW about Verbolten. They always need some time to work out the bugs, but I'm sure SDC will have Outlaw Run sorted out soon.

Just ask any park with an Intamin...

Hi folks,

I will be spending a few days for work in Dallas starting Sunday May 12th. This may be my only opportunity to make it to SDC anytime in the forseeable future. I see that SDC is open that Monday 5/13. The idea is to drive up to SDC on Sunday, spend the day at the park on Monday, drive back Monday evening.

My questions are - how crowded is the park likely to be on that Monday? They're closed Tue and Wed. Also, the Outlaw Run downtime has me a bit worried. Does it generally last just 90mins here and there are have there been days that its closed the entire day? I'm nervous to drive 7 hours from Dallas to SDC only to have the main reason for making that drive be closed.

Thanks,

Justin

P.S. Any recommendations on a nice place to stay in Branson?

The park shouldn't be too busy on May13th, school is still in session for the most part. Hotels, there is a best western next to the park if you want close, the village at indian point is nice. If you do downtown you get expensive. Hotwire usually has some good deals but in general you will find pretty standard rooms throughout the city, most are good, but nothing comes to mind that screams stay away from.

^^^

Justin,

The park has been great during the weekday operations. The staff at SDC is wonderfully friendly and sociable. While Outlaw Run is the newest, and the most thrilling, ride in the park, you absolutely cannot miss the park's other rollercoasters and attractions. My advice is to get to the park early and head straight to PowderKeg (the line for PK is the slowest moving, and the longest on slower days). After that, head over to Wildfire. YOU DO NOT want to miss It, as it is, quite possibly, the smoothest B&M you'll find. Thunderation is an unbelievable mine train coaster too, and has great terrain theming. The Outlaw Run downtime is not unbearable, if you're a coaster nerd like me. If you're lucky enough to find yourself in the station when the ride goes down, the testing they do is interesting to watch. The ride staff is quite good at keeping you informed about the status of the ride as well. Once you ride Outlaw Run, you will be spoiled for most other wooden coasters. Try to sit in the front or middle, unless you enjoy insane ejector air, in which case, take the back!

You will find, in Branson, that the Hotels are cheaper the further away from HWY 76 and, unless you intend to see a live show, you will find a lot less heartache by staying away from the strip. Also, check and double check that your map does not take you through NW Oklahoma; that route takes so much longer than coming through Arkansas.

Enjoy your visit to Branson!

Hi folks,

I will be spending a few days for work in Dallas starting Sunday May 12th. This may be my only opportunity to make it to SDC anytime in the forseeable future. I see that SDC is open that Monday 5/13. The idea is to drive up to SDC on Sunday, spend the day at the park on Monday, drive back Monday evening.

My questions are - how crowded is the park likely to be on that Monday? They're closed Tue and Wed. Also, the Outlaw Run downtime has me a bit worried. Does it generally last just 90mins here and there are have there been days that its closed the entire day? I'm nervous to drive 7 hours from Dallas to SDC only to have the main reason for making that drive be closed.

Thanks,

Justin

P.S. Any recommendations on a nice place to stay in Branson?

Outlaw Run breaks down almost every day, but usually it's only for a half hour or so. I've waited through the downtime, it's not terrible. Monday the 13th most schools are still in session here, so there won't be anybody in the park. In general, the crowds start coming around the time SDC goes to daily operations. Before and after that, on weekdays everything's a walk on, or at worst, a 5 minute wait.

As for motels, I would suggest Branson West. It's only about 5 miles from the park, and you'll find several decent $50-ish places. If all you need is a place to crash for the night, you'll do better in Branson West than in Branson itself. If you really want a nice hotel, the Hilton downtown is great, but in my opinion, why stay at a four-star hotel in a two-star town? Seems kind of a waste.

Thanks guys very much for the info!

Jfruge,

About the route - google maps takes me up US75 from Dallas North into Oklahoma to I-40, east into Arkansas to I-540. North on I-540 to around Bentonville area then east on US-62 through Pine Knob Conservation area to finally coming up to Silver Dollar City from the south on 13. This way looks more direct but looks like the scenery would be pretty nice.

Google Maps has an alternate route to take I-44 through Northern Oklahoma to Springfield then down to Branson. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned takes forever?

Thanks again!

Jfruge,

About the route - google maps takes me up US75 from Dallas North into Oklahoma to I-40, east into Arkansas to I-540. North on I-540 to around Bentonville area then east on US-62 through Pine Knob Conservation area to finally coming up to Silver Dollar City from the south on 13. This way looks more direct but looks like the scenery would be pretty nice.

Google Maps has an alternate route to take I-44 through Northern Oklahoma to Springfield then down to Branson. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned takes forever?

Thanks again!

I would take US 412 at Springdale and go east on 412 to US 65 just north of Harrison, once across the Ark/Mo state line use the alternate route 265 over Table Rock Damn to 76 then a left on 76 and you are basically there. Kimberling City route is best used on days you know the traffic backs up coming from the east on 76 but it's all two lane or city four lane from 540.

I'm just a local that's gone every way possible and I'd avoid Springdale and get to 412 by cutting through North Fayetteville.

If you go 412, and I would, and you like fried anything, stop at Kings River Store at Marble just past Huntsville.

Again, if you like art and you are passing through this area, Crystal Bridges in Bentonville is a must and it's free thanks to the Waltons.

Jfruge,

Thanks again!

I would take I-44 to Springfield. I talked to some Dallas people at the park last summer that went through Arkansas and they said it took forever.

OMG! I finally got a chance to ride Outlaw Run today and yeah Rob was not lying that ride kiss all sorts off ass! Seriously go ride it! Also I was talking to a few higher ups ((cough)) Pete Herschend during the ACE event and was told to keep our eyes open for 2015 and that well be pretty happy! Although I don't know if I could be happier than I am with Outlaw Run!

Jfruge,

Thanks again!

I would take I-44 to Springfield. I talked to some Dallas people at the park last summer that went through Arkansas and they said it took forever.

This. I made that same trip for the media event...took almost 8 hours. Lots of two lane roads.

Jfruge,

Thanks again!

This. I made that same trip for the media event...took almost 8 hours. Lots of two lane roads.

OK, if he is coming 540 from 40. Again take 412. Weather you avoid Springdale, by going through Fayetteville to get the the east side of Springdale, it is 4 lane to nearly Huntsville now, there it's two lane to Alpena. that's about a 35 mile stretch but there's some passing areas that's been installed in the past couple of years. Once to Alpena, it's four lane divided the rest of the trip to Branson, From Alpena to 65 at Harrison is about fifteen miles, and from 65 to Branson it's 25 to 30ish. Using Atl traffic 265 will bypass the strip from the south and as an added bonus he crosses Table Rock Dam. Going to Joplin to Springfield and back down saves no time, I've done it. It's just the unfamiliarity of the 2 lane that makes it seem long. Under no circumstance would I take meandering 62 from 540 to Berryville to Kimberling City to SDC. I'd rather pull my teeth. That is all two lane and usually with a good bit of traffic. If the poster wanted to go through Kimberling City, Still go 412 and there's two ways to get to Arkansas 21/Mo13 but it's two lanes either way but better than 62 unless the man wants to experience Eureka Springs

It's never more than 2 hrs from my home in Fayetteville to SDC even with a grandma or a rv getting in the way from time to time. I've made this trip around a hundred times.

Sad to hear about the continued break-downs on OR, but I'm glad they've been doing so well in working through the difficulties and getting it open every day. They are still dedicated to doing their best. I hope they can get these issues fixed before the really busy late summer hits.

Sounds like Pete is basically saying to expect another coaster in 2015 from what Grapeslie reports. He doesn't kid around when he drops these hints. I just wonder if they'll go after the thrill-crowd again so soon, or if we're going to get an iteration of what DW is getting next year...

Sad to hear about the continued break-downs on OR, but I'm glad they've been doing so well in working through the difficulties and getting it open every day. They are still dedicated to doing their best. I hope they can get these issues fixed before the really busy late summer hits.

Sounds like Pete is basically saying to expect another coaster in 2015 from what Grapeslie reports. He doesn't kid around when he drops these hints. I just wonder if they'll go after the thrill-crowd again so soon, or if we're going to get an iteration of what DW is getting next year...

You know someone else has mentioned or let's say hinted that is bigger than Outlaw Run and # 2 on the three major projects list with Outlaw Run being the first.

Thanks again Chittlins and everyone else for the guidance on the best way to SDC from Dallas. I think I'll the 412 option on the way there and stop by Kings River Store from something fried! My way back I'll be beat from a day of adrenaline so perhaps I'll take the I-44 option where i can mostly stick to interstates and not have to concentrate as much. I'll give my .02 on which route I prefer.

Thanks again Chittlins and everyone else for the guidance on the best way to SDC from Dallas. I think I'll the 412 option on the way there and stop by Kings River Store from something fried! My way back I'll be beat from a day of adrenaline so perhaps I'll take the I-44 option where i can mostly stick to interstates and not have to concentrate as much. I'll give my .02 on which route I prefer.
'

Then there's the Bass Pro mothership in Springfield.

PM me and I'll try to explain the best way to get to 412 from 540 without going through Springdale, which is very stop and go with traffic.

Okay, so I have no way of knowing if this is true but a few whispers I keep hearing are that SDC is going back back to B&M to give us B&M's first fourth dimension coaster. Again I don't have any way of proving this it's just a couple whispers I've heard. We shall know soon enough I suppose.