TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Why am I picturing that their 'house cheese blend' includes cheddar?

Great coverage! Can't wait to get there this summer and take a bunch of crazy people with me!

Remember everyone, we have a few spots open for the Texas Midwest Trip where you'll ride this, iRat, Hades 360, Gatekeeper, and a ton of other awesome stuff!!!

Awesome report. I love the theming of the station now that its all done. They did a great job on it. Those trains just look so fantastic. The ride looks like it was everything it was supposed to be and more. RMC did it again. I can't wait to ride this during the TPR trip. Side note: I liked RMC on facebook a few months ago. They always post great photos of the coasters they are working on.

It was a pretty nice report you put together. Some of the pictures were very nice. I remember some people calling Outlaw Run a steel coaster, but by what you said about the steel wheels and that only the top layer of lamination for the track was all steel I'm still not sure why people classify it as a steel coaster, I wouldn't even call it a hybrid like the New Texas Giant is.

Just fantastic. Branson is such a quirky place, it only makes sense that they'd have a wooden roller coaster that goes upside down.

I'm sad that it's Yakov's last year there! I kind of feel bad that we passed by the theatre in 2010 but that show could make a trip to Branson in 2013 worth it even more so. Ah, who am I kidding, it'll be all about Outlaw Run...and perhaps pulling out some old Night Court Episodes with Yakov

For me, this was THE coaster to watch out for, and I am completely impressed!!!!! Just WOW! It's almost like in the early 70's when theme parks made a resurgence with wood coasters, and then the 80's when Arrow started making megacoasters. It started all sorts of theme park wars that even a smaller park like Kennywood got involved in. I would like to think Silver Dollar City and Rocky Mountain Coasters just started Theme Park War III.

It was a pretty nice report you put together. Some of the pictures were very nice. I remember some people calling Outlaw Run a steel coaster, but by what you said about the steel wheels and that only the top layer of lamination for the track was all steel I'm still not sure why people classify it as a steel coaster, I wouldn't even call it a hybrid like the New Texas Giant is.

I think the red track on NTag just gives it a more hybrid look unlike how Outlaw run is all brown and looks very natural, blends in.

This is seriously an extremely awesome looking hybrid coaster. I so wish I could ride it right now, but sadly that is not likely too happen any time soon. Also the last set of photos by ScottyDoesKnow are great! Spectacular shots!

P.S. Notice my use of the word hybrid. This is NOT a wooden coaster, people!

^ Oh but it is. At least according to SDC, RCDB, RMC, Robb, pretty much anyone who knows the industry.

You are entitled to your opinion however, but you probably are not going to change any minds on the matter.

I think the red track on NTag just gives it a more hybrid look unlike how Outlaw run is all brown and looks very natural, blends in.

Remember, Outlaw Run is topper track, while Texas Giant is IBox track.

There are plenty of traditional wooden coasters out there that have put topper track on some of their problem spots, and I don't see anybody trying to claim that they aren't wooden coasters anymore.

IMO, Outlaw Run= Wooden Coaster

NTAG= Steel Coaster.

Really at the end of the day, I don't care what you call it as long as it kicks ass.

This is seriously an extremely awesome looking hybrid coaster. I so wish I could ride it right now, but sadly that is not likely too happen any time soon. Also the last set of photos by ScottyDoesKnow are great! Spectacular shots!

P.S. Notice my use of the word hybrid. This is NOT a wooden coaster, people!

Why wouldn't this be a wooden coaster? It has a wood structure and wood track (this includes the steel plate that goes over the wood layers just like on any other wooden coaster, the only difference is that it is a lot thicker than usual so that it doesn't require so much maintenance and wears off less). It may have a few steel parts but there are no wooden coasters without a single metal part in it.

In order to be a hybrid, it would have to have either a steel track and wood supports (like the new Texas giant and iron rattler) or steel supports and a wood track which is not the case. That's why it is, by definition, a wooden coaster.

This is NOT a wooden coaster, people!

It's a wood coaster. Period. I simply refuse to allow such a stupid debate to take place on these forums. Let me make something clear to all of you because I've heard this argument before. El Toro is a wood coaster, not steel. Outlaw Run is a wood coaster, not a hybrid. Anyone who wants to argue that fact can argue it on a different forum. Got it? Good.

Carry on...

image.thumb.jpg.e9ba349abbec0c5417fa934db0229359.jpg

WOOD!!!!

Edited by robbalvey

I need an explanation please, what's the difference between Topper Track and regular Wooden Coaster track?

I believe Topper track is designed for less maintenance and a smoother ride. All it does is replace the top layer of laminated wood from a tradition wood coaster design. Iron horse is when there is no wood(meaning like a traditional laminated woody) and its a steel box the wheels run on. Hence the term I-box

You can clearly see from Robb's photo the top layer of laminated wood is replaced by the RMC topper track.

^Close! The top 2 layers of wood are replaced with 'topper track' which is then flooded with a special 'grout' mixture. With a 5 year track warranty, this baby is meant to ride like day 1 year after year.

More to come tomorrow from Silver Dollar City! You won't want to miss it!