TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Would 8:30 be a good time to arrive at the park on Friday?

You'll catch opening ceremonies and have time to eat breakfast or some cinnimon rolls. but they'll have the chains up prohibiting you to the rest of the park.

It is supposed to be sunny and in the 70's on Friday. Sat in the 70's but a storm in the afternoon, and cooler but clearing Sun with a high in the 50's.

While nobody can predict exact crowds, how is the park on a weekday (Tues or Wed) in early to mid August? Also, is Missouri unbearably hot during that time of year? I'm looking into planning a short trip.

The park ceases daily operations on August 12 this year, but Tues 8/6 or Wed 8/7 would be good days to go. Be there early; in the afternoon we typically see temperatures around 100, and it's a humid, muggy heat.

First riders are meeting at 9am for the opening. I would imagine the GP will ride after 10am. Weather will be in the 70s and Spring Break for many towns in the area so I would bet the park will be somewhat congested.

So the gp can start riding around 10?

Is there an opening ceremony at 9 open to public though?

Also, I doubt the other rides other than the Giant Swing and Outlaw Run will be crowded since that area will be the main attraction on Friday. Although Powderkeg will probably be crowded too

So the gp can start riding around 10?

Is there an opening ceremony at 9 open to public though?

Also, I doubt the other rides other than the Giant Swing and Outlaw Run will be crowded since that area will be the main attraction on Friday. Although Powderkeg will probably be crowded too

I'm giddy that once the initial excitement is over. This will reduce waits on Powder Keg to next to nothing when things return to normal. There are rumors this is the first of three major capital project though. I doubt this is the most expensive one either.

I wonder if Rob or other Central Florida folks have noticed that Southwest is now offering a Sat direct flight from Orlando to Branson now.

^ I've looked into that flight a few times (I'm hoping to fly out there for a day or two in the coming month) but there just isn't much flexibility. For nearly the same price you can fly into Springfield (usually by way of Atlanta) and there are plenty of times to choose from.

^ I've looked into that flight a few times (I'm hoping to fly out there for a day or two in the coming month) but there just isn't much flexibility. For nearly the same price you can fly into Springfield (usually by way of Atlanta) and there are plenty of times to choose from.

I would suggest flying into Springfield. What isn't apparent unless you know the area well is that the Branson Airport isn't very close to Branson at all. In fact, it's down near the Arkansas border. Also, during the tourist season, 65 and 465 have very heavy traffic, while 76 through town is at a crawl. So fly into Springfield instead and the take the back way. From the airport (assuming you've rented a car rather than taking one of the tour buses), go east on Division St./Greene County EE to West By-Pass/US-160. Go south on 160 until you hit James River Freeway/US-60/US-160. Turn left (east) onto the highway and take it two exits to Campbell Ave./US-160/MO-13. Make a right (south). Stay on MO-13 until you reach Branson West (US-160 will split from MO-13 a few miles south of Springfield), then turn left onto MO-76. Go east on 76 until you reach Indian Point Rd., which is the entrance to SDC. Total time from the airport to SDC should be about an hour, and you shouldn't hit traffic, even during the busy season, until just before Indian Point.

The traffic will definately back up this weekend coming from the east whether it be 76 from Branson proper or from the dam. I plan on "sneaking in: like always from Berryville Ark to Kinberling City to Branson West.

The weather is playing out perfectly this and lots of folks here in NWA with passes are planning of going in the next week. Someone mentioned Spring Break. Yep, nearly all local schools will be out and last year at SDC was packed during this.

The traffic will definately back up this weekend coming from the east whether it be 76 from Branson proper or from the dam. I plan on "sneaking in: like always from Berryville Ark to Kinberling City to Branson West.

The weather is playing out perfectly this and lots of folks here in NWA with passes are planning of going in the next week. Someone mentioned Spring Break. Yep, nearly all local schools will be out and last year at SDC was packed during this.