TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Just saw some pictures on Twitter. They're now working on the double up (which isn't really a traditional double up, as the second half is an overbanked curve), which makes me think everything from the double down to the turn down by the drop is probably tracked at this point. Both the down and up look like they will give some good air, and the ride will surely be hauling through that portion. They're probably close to halfway done with the track!

Thanks for posting the link, however I had already seen them...

I've read over on SDCFANS that this project is about in the 10 million range which is reasonably cheap (I would think).... And that we should still be excited for the announcement because there is more to it than what has been leaked. Do you guys think they are doing extensive theming with this or that they may be adding another attraction as well. Normally I wouldn't think so, but it's the first of August this coaster has flown up, construction will be complete in a few months they have plenty of time to start another project and finish it before next season. Thoughts?

so can someone please identify for me the location of this new roller coaster? i know it is near the train somewhere but if someone could point out on a satellite photo i would appreciate it!

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=36.669830~-93.340200&style=h&lvl=17&sp=aN.36.669830_-93.340200_Silver+Dollar+City&encType=1

Certainly. http://binged.it/QDj2KA

this ride must have a height of 160' right?

Not sure what the ride height will be. The drop height will be 162 ft., but the other two roller coasters in that area have drop heights greater than the ride height due to the bluff that goes down to the lake (that bluff is also the reason the train takes a turn northwest in that area).

Powder Keg: 98' ride, 110' drop

Wildfire: 120' ride, 155' drop

So, knowing the topography, I'd say we're looking at 130-140 ft. ride height.

Thanks for posting the link, however I had already seen them...

I've read over on SDCFANS that this project is about in the 10 million range which is reasonably cheap (I would think).... And that we should still be excited for the announcement because there is more to it than what has been leaked. Do you guys think they are doing extensive theming with this or that they may be adding another attraction as well. Normally I wouldn't think so, but it's the first of August this coaster has flown up, construction will be complete in a few months they have plenty of time to start another project and finish it before next season. Thoughts?

Having read the same discussion that you are referring to, I think they were talking more along the lines of the fact that we're probably going to be getting some concept art for the ride vehicles and the area in general as well as possibly a POV ride through via CGI. It also sounds like we're getting a LOT of photographs from areas that the GP can't photograph easily, as well as better angles of stuff that we've already seen (the drop, GICT, etc.)

That said, I suppose it would be possible for there to be some other goodies in this announcement (maybe a flat ride or two out by the coaster to help round out the area) or other offerings at the park next year, but I'm more inclined to think the "surprises" are more along the line of the stuff in the last paragraph.

EDIT:

Looking at the photograph of where the coaster/area is supposed to be, is there any confirmation or speculation to be had about how exactly park visitors will be getting out to that area? Other than a path in the really narrow looking area between FITH, the Opera House, and Powder Keg, it's hard to see how you'd get out there. It'd be questionable design/layout, but possibility of it only being accessible via a new station for the train?

^There will be lots of new and interesting aspects of the coaster to show off on August 9, plus the area around the coaster that will apparently include a couple of vendors of some sort. The coaster will have it's own "stub" section of the park themed to a wagon station. There won't be any other attractions in the area unless we're in for a big surprise. You'll enter the area through Wilson's Barnyard where the Giant Swing is.

^There will be lots of new and interesting aspects of the coaster to show off on August 9, plus the area around the coaster that will apparently include a couple of vendors of some sort. The coaster will have it's own "stub" section of the park themed to a wagon station. There won't be any other attractions in the area unless we're in for a big surprise. You'll enter the area through Wilson's Barnyard where the Giant Swing is.

I forgot about the Giant Swing area. Looking at the picture again, that makes a lot of sense.

Oh, ok. Adding vendors to the area is a must seeing as outlaw run will probably have its own gift shop or at least a pretty big stand for the pictures and merchandise.

I do have one question though with it being back behind the giant swing and powder keg do you think it will get passed up a lot? I mean to me it looks like it will be one of those easy to miss rides, if you aren't looking for it that is.

Oh, ok. Adding vendors to the area is a must seeing as outlaw run will probably have its own gift shop or at least a pretty big stand for the pictures and merchandise.

I do have one question though with it being back behind the giant swing and powder keg do you think it will get passed up a lot? I mean to me it looks like it will be one of those easy to miss rides, if you aren't looking for it that is.

The ride is already visible if you're riding: The Train, Powder Keg, Wildfire, and the Giant Swing (can I get confirmation on this last one?). People will see it and go to it if they are so inclined. I don't know if it's plainly visible from elsewhere in the park like a lot of roller coasters are in other parks, but that's true for most (all?) of Silver Dollar City's coasters until you start getting closer to them.

The ride is already visible if you're riding: The Train, Powder Keg, Wildfire, and the Giant Swing (can I get confirmation on this last one?). People will see it and go to it if they are so inclined. I don't know if it's plainly visible from elsewhere in the park like a lot of roller coasters are in other parks, but that's true for most (all?) of Silver Dollar City's coasters until you start getting closer to them.

Well, I know Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood was quite easy to ignore before Timber Canyon and Wilderness Pass were added, unless like I said you were looking for it. I remember when Thunderhead was new there was never a line for TT, I just assumed it was because of it's seclusion from the rest of the park.

Also Cheetah at Wild Adventures is quite easy to miss, if you aren't looking for it.

I can see theme doing something similar to what they did for Wild Eagle with its entrance plaza.

That's exactly what I was thinking, except I was more so thinking of the forced walk through gift shop dedicated to Wild Eagle.

$10 million for a new wooden coaster is pretty much spot on, especially since it's more or less a prototype, hasn't required much land prep, and is using pre-cast footings. If it were a 10 million dollar B&M I'd be concerned. The morale to the story is, don't let the price tag fool you.

Ok, stupid question: I had thought (for no apparent reason) that this was going to be a Iron Horse track. Is it actually a topper track build?

If so, the "OMG Holy Spaceballs this goes inverted!!!" factor goes WAY up for me.

It is 100% indeed topper track!

Mind=blown

I've officially gone from "I really wanna ride that!" to "I MUST ride that!!!!!"

Confirmation. Outlaw Run pretty much dominates Wilson's Farm now, which includes two flat rides: the Giant Barn Swing and the Hi-Lo Silos (a rope climbing ride). Actually, due to its slow rotation, the Hi-Lo Silos offers (I think) the best view of Outlaw Run. You're about 30 feet up at the top, and right next to the ride. Doesn't hurt that my daughter loves the silos, too.

^I'm not sure how similar it is to Dollywood, but was assuming fairly similar. I know in Dollywood, a named/themed area usually has more to it than just one ride/attraction so I was curious if it would eventually spawn off some more attractions with the same theme.

Once again, just look at Wild Eagle at Dollywood. It has its own "stub out" from Wilderness Path, with its own theme. They created a plaza area that houses the giant eagle sculpture, a drink station (former ZipLine office) and of course the exit gift shop.

Edited by ernierocker