TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The ride looks incredible otherwise but I hate how they're doing this. I hate that we've advanced to the point where there's actual debate on whether a coaster is wood or steel. Everything is getting worse with time.

Umm.. Have you ever ridden El Toro? Because, you know, it's wood. I mean it's steel.

It's the 21st century - if they're able to build a 'wooden' coaster that is balls-out insane, while also reliable, safe, and easy to maintain, who's to stop them?

Clearance, there isn't any!

I have a very strong feeling that the actual clearance is deceiving. The angle of the pictures probably makes it look smaller than it is, but to me it looks like there's at least 5-6 feet of clearance between the track and the crossbeam. That means that you'd need 5 foot arms to hit your hands, which would make you 10 feet tall. I don't think clearance would be an issue and if it is, take the crossbeam out. Regardless, it is still the headchopper of all headchoppers.

I think you're forgetting that you will be sitting in a train on top of those tracks.

We haven't seen the trains yet... you could be sitting in them luge style.

Clearance, there isn't any!

I have a very strong feeling that the actual clearance is deceiving. The angle of the pictures probably makes it look smaller than it is, but to me it looks like there's at least 5-6 feet of clearance between the track and the crossbeam. That means that you'd need 5 foot arms to hit your hands, which would make you 10 feet tall. I don't think clearance would be an issue and if it is, take the crossbeam out. Regardless, it is still the headchopper of all headchoppers.

I think you're forgetting that you will be sitting in a train on top of those tracks.

We haven't seen the trains yet... you could be sitting in them luge style.

nah, i think it should be skeleton style, Chinchoppers FTW

I've always thought a launched wooden coaster would be intriguing. Not anything too crazy, but a nice 50-60mph LSM launch, perhaps. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to do, you just need some train modifications and possibly steel crossbeams in the launch zone.

^I wouldn't be surprised at all if RMC manages that within the next few years. These guys have managed to burst onto the scene and innovate their designs in two years more than most companies have in the last decade or two. I don't think anything's going to hold them back from pushing even farther.

I've always thought a launched wooden coaster would be intriguing. Not anything too crazy, but a nice 50-60mph LSM launch, perhaps. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to do, you just need some train modifications and possibly steel crossbeams in the launch zone.

With the way Rocky Mountain has been innovating roller coaster technology, I wouldn't be surprised if they try a launched wooden coaster in the next couple years.

Edit: ^Looks like you beat me to that statement lol

Maybe we will finally get that launched, inverted wooden coaster!!

But in all seriousness, they are really pushing the bar high for all other wooden coaster companies. I would think in 2014, we are likely to see an abundance of new projects from Rocky Mountain. Who knows what we will get out of them, but first they need to make this coaster work efficiently.

I don't understand why you have to put an inversion on wooden coaster...it just bothers me. Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The ride looks incredible otherwise but I hate how they're doing this. I hate that we've advanced to the point where there's actual debate on whether a coaster is wood or steel. Everything is getting worse with time.

You could, umm, not ride it.

Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been?

Like the Orioles being completely out of contention each year?

I guess it's also bad that Camden Yards "changed the game" on modern baseball stadium design, right? Yeah, things are definitely getting worse with time.

If this thing gives a great ride, I don't care what it's made of.

I think a better analogy would be if Major League Baseball decided to add random obstacles in the outfield or some other similar gimmick.

This is my thing...for example, when Steel Force opened in '97, it was a huge deal around here because of how big the ride was. I want that back again. I miss those days. Now if a park adds a hyper, it's looked at as a normal park addition and not anything mind-blowing. Traditional rides remind me of better times and all this "innovation" is making me realize how crappy life gets as you get older. Nothing is ever the same. Some of the best times I ever had at amusement parks were at Hersheypark when I was a kid, before SkyRush, before Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, etc. I just want those good times back.

I kinda get what your saying, and your entitled to your opinion but.....

Now if a park adds a hyper, it's looked at as a normal park addition and not anything mind-blowing

How is adding an barrel roll to not mind blowing? It's a freaking Barrel Roll on a Wooden Coaster, that's more exciting and innovative to me than just cresting the 200ft mark. Innovation these days isn't bigger and taller it's more technological and better, and this project at SDC could potentially be one of the best coasters ever built, that's pretty mind blowing to me.

Some of the best times I ever had at amusement parks were at Hersheypark when I was a kid, before SkyRush, before Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, etc. I just want those good times back.

Not trying to be rude here, and I miss the "good ole days" at some of my favorite parks where I have child hood memories, but if you want the good times back go to Knoebles.