TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

When people say the roll, do you lot mean a zero-g roll? From what I have seen from the structure leading up to it, it looks like one to me.

Yes. Zero-G Roll.

I kind of doubt it will be a true Zero-G roll, which is why I just call it a roll. With the crazy entrance and the angle that you're going through, there's got to be some forces going on in this thing. I wish there was a way to get a shot from the other side of this thing. It looks like it's going to be pretty wild right after the drop just getting up to this thing.

I don't understand why you have to put an inversion on wooden coaster...it just bothers me. Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The ride looks incredible otherwise but I hate how they're doing this. I hate that we've advanced to the point where there's actual debate on whether a coaster is wood or steel. Everything is getting worse with time.

Last night, I was thinking to myself, "Wow, nobody has complained about this ride yet," because THERE ISN'T ANYTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. IT'S A F@%#ING BARREL ROLL ON A WOODEN COASTER. GOOD GOD.

If this doesn't excite you, then perhaps you should turn in your enthusiast card. This is what we call GOOD progress in coaster engineering. You should want to see stuff like this popping up, especially if it turns out great. If things stayed "the way they've always been," then we would still be sliding down ice slides in Russia. Good grief.

This is what we call GOOD progress in coaster engineering. You should want to see stuff like this popping up, especially if it turns out great. If things stayed "the way they've always been," then we would still be sliding down ice slides in Russia. Good grief.

This right here. I'm actually having a mini-fit because this is the coolest thing to happen to wooden roller coasters in...forever. Parks will still have the option to buy an out-and-back Gravity Group, or a twisted (or even out-and-back nowadays) GCI, but now they have the option to buy a completely modernized version of what we thought we knew of the wooden roller coaster. The normal wooden coasters aren't disappearing, but we're going to see more of a variety than ever before. How can that not be exciting??

Honestly is these a new "hybrid" coasters are successful and similar in cost to a traditional full wooden coaster why would a park ever build a traditional wooden coaster again? These will have minimal maintenance, a smooth consistent ride experience, and probably a longer life span than a traditional woodie. Why build wood again?

If I were a park owner that currently had a major wooden coaster (Beast, Mean Streak, Ghost Rider, Rattler etc) in need of some re-tracking work done there would be no question in my mind to replace it with iron horse or topper track. Don't be surprised if this starts happening all over the place. And they should probably add a barrel roll while they are at it, the Beast could really use a wicked cork screw on that long boring stretch between the two lifts .

Honestly if these a new "hybrid" coasters are successful and similar in cost to a traditional full wooden coaster why would a park ever build a traditional wooden coaster again? These will have minimal maintenance, a smooth consistent ride experience, and probably a longer life span than a traditional woodie. Why build wood again?

Stop making sense. You're gonna confuse people.

Clearance, there isn't any!

I have a very strong feeling that the actual clearance is deceiving. The angle of the pictures probably makes it look smaller than it is, but to me it looks like there's at least 5-6 feet of clearance between the track and the crossbeam. That means that you'd need 5 foot arms to hit your hands, which would make you 10 feet tall. I don't think clearance would be an issue and if it is, take the crossbeam out. Regardless, it is still the headchopper of all headchoppers.

Yes, I understand that its likely this could be a Zero-G roll but nothing provide so far absolutely confirms that. The ride hasn't rolled yet.

The track goes off to the right from the angle of those photos. It's not going to just be a bank because of the direction it's going. Plus, look at that track: It's already inverted. Don't tell me that's just an overbank, lol

Clearance, there isn't any!

I have a very strong feeling that the actual clearance is deceiving. The angle of the pictures probably makes it look smaller than it is, but to me it looks like there's at least 5-6 feet of clearance between the track and the crossbeam. That means that you'd need 5 foot arms to hit your hands, which would make you 10 feet tall. I don't think clearance would be an issue and if it is, take the crossbeam out. Regardless, it is still the headchopper of all headchoppers.

I think you're forgetting that you will be sitting in a train on top of those tracks.