TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

This is quickly turning into one of my favorite coaster projects to follow! At first, I was annoyed that they hadn't made any sort of announcement or acknowledgement, but now it appears to be a brilliant move by the park!

Here's hoping this woodie is more successful with an inversion than Son of Beast was.

Based on NTAG alone (Their only complete circuit build currently running) i'm going to say it will be:

Different trains, smaller ride, better construction, etc.

Time will tell, but i'll put that bet out there based on the VAST differences in construction style.

This is turning out to be a very intriguing project. Silver Dollar City is one of the best parks in the country, and this new coaster is shaping up to be an excellent, and appropriately quirky, addition.

Wait so now we're in agreement that this is a wooden coaster? What happened to all the debating when NTAG happened?

It doesn't matter. It's neither. It's both. It's like picking republican or democrat - you don't have to choose either. It's a new form of hybrid coaster.

All joking aside, I can't wait to see what happens with this ride. The fact that no one truly knows the whole layout is awesome! I hope there are plenty more surprises where this roll came from.

Me too! This thing looks like it's gonna be a monster.

Well, that was one of the biggest curve balls I've seen in a while. I mean, it's perfectly possible from an engineering standpoint, especially if it's a zero G roll (zero G's or close to it would mean that the supports in that area wouldn't have to take that much stress.) The support structure for that section would have to be pretty complex for the element if it ends up being an all wood support structure (I doubt it though, they used steel supports in a few spots on NTAG) but it's pretty feasible, especially with the far more precise building techniques that RMC has over RCCA.

A roll is a pretty interesting choice, however I think it is a much smarter decision that a loop would have been. If it fails or causes problems it would be very easy to convert the structure in to a hill instead. Not saying that it will happen, but it's a solid backup.

I don't understand why you have to put an inversion on wooden coaster...it just bothers me. Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The ride looks incredible otherwise but I hate how they're doing this. I hate that we've advanced to the point where there's actual debate on whether a coaster is wood or steel. Everything is getting worse with time.

I don't understand why you have to put an inversion on wooden coaster...it just bothers me. Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The ride looks incredible otherwise but I hate how they're doing this. I hate that we've advanced to the point where there's actual debate on whether a coaster is wood or steel. Everything is getting worse with time.

You could, umm, not ride it.

Why can't things just stay traditional and stay the way they've always been?

Like the Orioles being completely out of contention each year?

I guess it's also bad that Camden Yards "changed the game" on modern baseball stadium design, right? Yeah, things are definitely getting worse with time.

If this thing gives a great ride, I don't care what it's made of.

Edited by BeemerBoy

^That photo sums up exactly what I was thinking reading that post.

Couldn't put it any better myself.

I am really intrigued with this project. Not sure when I'd ever make it out to Silver Dollar City but with how this is shaping up, I may have to find a way.

It's a coaster. That's all that matters.

Having said that, the ride will look much better - and more authentic - with walkways and handrails.

Edited by BDG

Eh, progress is progress. I'm surprised that they're making the roll using the topper track and not the "Iron Horse" track. Was Son of Beast's loop made from steel track or just a steel structure?