TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^ what they said. I think this may be the most anticipated coasters for next season. I love NTAG, so it'll be interesting to see what Rocky Mountain does with their first original design from the ground up - and any coaster with an underground tunnel get's points in my book. Other than The Voyage, I can't recall off the top of my head the last woodie with an underground tunnel... And Horray, I only live 3 hours away.

Hades?

I'm also so excited to see what the cars look like on this.

^Hades was first....

I don't know which coaster was the first with an underground tunnel, but I do know that The Beast predates Hades by a few decades.

As for wood/steel and topper track... the track rests on stacked lumber, just like a woodie. The top layer of the stack isn't wood. That to me isn't THAT different than a stack of lumber with a steel rail on top, like a regular woodie. Just my $0.02

I finally got to see everything today for the first time. Hot damn that drop looks good. It's definitely every bit the 160ft and 81 degrees that was rumored. There's only one rail going down the drop at the moment. They've started work on the portion after the drop, which looks like it will be a fairly low and extremely overbanked turnaround that flies past the old Hobo Junction. It's hard to tell where it goes after that right now - but we know it does go under it's own lift hill and then disappears into another valley before coming back on the other side of the station.

The station is coming along more now too. Looks like the front will be a facade, the loading area looks pretty simple, and the maintenance bay is in the back rather than being a separate building. I wonder if that means there will only be 2 trains? Looked like there was only one bay. They are using the old time clapboard on the back though, which is a little detail I appreciate. Photos coming later.

^Hades was first....

I don't know which coaster was the first with an underground tunnel, but I do know that The Beast predates Hades by a few decades.

As for wood/steel and topper track... the track rests on stacked lumber, just like a woodie. The top layer of the stack isn't wood. That to me isn't THAT different than a stack of lumber with a steel rail on top, like a regular woodie. Just my $0.02

I meant of the most recent woodies with a underground tunnel, Hades was before the Voyage.

Too late, I've got a few photos to share. I'm too tired to post very many right now, but there are more here: http://sdcfans.com/photos/feat/23/

Got a PTR to share tomorrow too. Pretty awesome weekend at the city.

By the way, they aren't trying to ignore or hide the construction at all. If you ride the train they talk about the ride a lot actually, but they don't state the name or any details and just say that it is for next year and that an announcement will come in the fall.

So basically the lift hill is completely tracked at this point, it just needs the handrails added to the sides. The drop is only tracked on one side so far. After the drop there is a bit where it lifts out of the valley and goes into what looks like an extreme overbanked turnaround/bowl thing that goes 270 degrees back around and over the base of the drop again. It disappears into the woods after that, but apparently the track will come back towards the train tracks again because it crosses under it's own lift hill and then dives back into another valley. It goes so far down there you can't see anything until the other side where it comes back up and into the station.

IMG_2000.jpg.ffb265e781efcea12dfc7b845678588b.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg.4707c27cf42b61ec49288984e4cd2611.jpg

Bents that will go up probably next week for the crazy post-drop turnaround.

IMG_2016.thumb.jpg.6423aa5bd561ec86c0cce9b269ee2acf.jpg

Here's the best view I have of the big drop. You really have to ride PK to get the only good unobstructed view. My photos "through the trees" didn't turn out so well. But believe me, it's crazy steep and plenty tall.

IMG_2078.jpg.b85c97039ea0df7c1b67d805a6f56646.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg.3ae3a01c22fba60a05a67118dff27b4d.jpg

I'm happy that the park is acknowledging construction of the ride.

I thought that the drop would be straight off of the lift, but the little drop before the big one will send the trains down that insanely steep drop that much faster.

Wow! Just wow! On a side note, it looks like there are a bunch of holes in that topper track just out of the station. It looks like that is gonna make a for a bumpy ride.

There will be another thin piece of steel laid on top so there won't be any holes to worry about.