TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Reminds me of when CP was building Maverick, and a few weeks before the announcement, someone (can't remember who) did an interview about what was being constructed in the back of the park. You could clearly see coaster track all over the place (both built and sitting in the grass field next to Breakers Express), but he literally said, "can't say if it's a coaster, or even that it's a ride." Really? Do you think we're all idiots?

I don't think the park is exactly trying to keep it a secret, they just don't want people to get overly excited just yet. I could see a lot of the GP thinking that this ride is supposed to open this summer if the park starts mentioning it now, causing a lot of trouble and frustration later this season. I've seen guests get upset over stupider things.

Is that the same type of topper track they've been using on other coasters? It looks different, and I thought Topper track sat on top of tradition laminated wood layers which take more time to setup. This looks like a different type of prefab steel track. I also don't understand why they're putting track on now when the lift structure isn't even finished... this ride is going to be full of surprises.

Looks like it's sitting on top of laminate from the bottom angle, like beam laminate and not in the traditional sense seen on traditional woodies.

The employees are the ones putting up with the headache as I'm told from the several I talked to they get asked constantly about what it's going to be and they are left telling them, "I don't know" A big sign that says opening in 2013 should cure a few issues.

1360750755_SilverDollarCity4_27.12084.JPG.63e93e4c6db3b2fd22d9c563dba0d59a.JPG

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, has webbed feet, feathers and quacks, it's a duck."

Most parks are intelligent to put up a 'Coming in 2013' sign or related for new attractions that are visible to the public, especially when it stands out like a sore thumb such as this new Movie Theater with Popcorn stand that they're building. They may not need to put up the "Now Showing" billboards, but something like "Coming Attractions" for 2013 might be nice...

(Seriously, I feel for the employees- that's not something ANY theme park company should ever make their staff put up with.)

^Overbanked turns is about it.

Not doubting, just wondering, have you seen a layout by chance? I'm really interested in seeing what type of layout this badboy will have. I'm hoping it'll be packed full of airtime like NTaG, but I'm curious to see how RMC will make their own custom layout.

Silver Dollar City is one of those parks that just taunts me - it has the exact kind of theming that I love in amusement parks, and it's only a day's drive away. This new not-a-roller-coaster project for 2013 just seems to sweeten the deal for me.

Saying that I live four hours away, I'll be able to take many visits for this next year! I can't imagine the lines though. If Powder Keg can get up to 1 hour waits on an ordinary summer day, this oughta be a nightmare.

Btw, I'll be most likely at the park on May 24th to check up on construction and things.

What do you think the chances are that this ride will have a really steep drop like NTAG or even T-Express? They're definitely trying to model themselves after Intamin's work, and they've been talking about how they want their rides to push past the limits of what a traditional wooden coaster can do. That makes me think this ride is going to have some ridiculous drops and twists - it's not going to be anything like what we've gotten used to with the GCII projects.

I'm so glad we don't know the layout yet. I'm love being able to look forward to the weekend for the next update and seeing all this progress. When they start adding the drop we'll really know what we're in for, and they'll probably start doing that here in the next couple of weeks. My expectations are just through the roof with this ride.

Somehow, considering the park in question, I'm not looking for an all-out white knuckle envelope-pushing ride.... but I hope I'm wrong.

As for lines, Powder Keg <> wood coaster. PK's launch system slows down the throughput quite a bit, what with the transfer track and all. Lines stack up because there are more people entering the line each hour than the ride can handle.

I think that as long as the ride ops are on their toes, it should move the line as well as Thunderhead, at least.

I can't imagine the lines though. If Powder Keg can get up to 1 hour waits on an ordinary summer day, this oughta be a nightmare.

Opening a new coaster really could help keep the lines down on the other rides...or it could just draw massive amounts of people who haven't been there in years. I usually visit in late June and Powder Keg's capacity is never much better than The Giant Swing running one side. Wildfire is never too bad with lines, though.

I'm excited to see what they'll build, but I don't want to get my hopes up with Silver Dollar City. It is RMC's first wooden coaster project, and while they seem to know what they're doing, I'd be a little skeptical as to how big SDC would go. With the land(scape) they have available, SDC could get crazy, but doubtful...either way I think it's guaranteed that you'll get quality at SDC!

SDC is such a great park! Really looking forward to seeing what this ends up becoming. A wood coaster is such a perfect fit, “if that’s what it’ll end up being” and really seemed like the only thing missing when comparing to Dollywood.

Powder Keg I think is reason enough alone to go back, so this will be great. Ok, maybe another reason is a night cap at a jamboree or at the Yakov Smirnoff theatre?

SDC is such a great park! Really looking forward to seeing what this ends up becoming. A wood coaster is such a perfect fit, “if that’s what it’ll end up being” and really seemed like the only thing missing when comparing to Dollywood.

Powder Keg I think is reason enough alone to go back, so this will be great. Ok, maybe another reason is a night cap at a jamboree or at the Yakov Smirnoff theatre?

This will be Yakovs' last year doing his show in Branson, he says he is going to retire at the end of the year.