TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

The Sentosa Theme Park blog has received an official letter from Universal Studios Singapore about Battlestar Galactica's closure.

http://sentosathemepark.blogspot.com/2010/03/statement-about-shut-down-of-battlestar.html

Dear fans,

During our daily pre-opening testing yesterday morning prior to opening to the public, we found a technical problem on one of the ride vehicles and we are investigating at the Battlestar Galactica attraction. In keeping with our commitment to employee and guest safety, the ride was immediately closed by Universal Studios Singapore and will not be operating until we determine the cause and solution. Experts from the ride's design, engineering and manufacturing company are assisting our own experienced ride and show team in the inspection and any necessary action to resolve the situation. No one was injured and all proper authorities were notified, which is a standard Universal Studios Singapore operating policy.

Employee and guest safety is our number one priority at Universal Studios Singapore. Every ride or attraction meets or exceeds industry guidelines and undergoes construction inspections and approvals of Singapore regulatory agencies for theme park rides. Additionally, all rides goes through a daily series of detailed inspections and testing before the park opens to ensure that all of the ride’s safety systems are functioning properly. No ride will be operated at any time unless it has passed all daily inspections and tests.

At this time, the ride may be closed for several days or longer to perform a complete analysis. We understand some guests may be disappointed; however, the safety of our employees and guests remains our top priority.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, take this for what it is worth, my buddy is in the Waterworld show over there (they hire foreign actors) and he said that yes, indeed, a seat FELL OFF the Cylon side somewhere during a test run.

Again, grain of salt alert, while my buddy is a little bit more than the Dippin Dots guy, I can not attest for the accuracy of his information.

This could be very bad for Vekoma. Lets hope it is not true...

^^ For now thats all we have to go with, especially as it fits what was said before. Holy crap though, a seat falling off. I doubt we'll see more of these after this, that is a pretty much guaranteed fatality if it were not testing, and thank god it was just during testing. A seat falling off... I can literally not think of a worse thing happening besides a high speed collision.

That is really bad.I leave Singapore on the 27th of april, and I'm just hoping it will reopen before then. Hopefully they will get it sorted out quickly, but I would guess this have left a permanent scratch in Vekoma's safety record. Maybe USS should have gone with the Hulk clone as in the first concept art!

I'd be curious to know if it was more than just the seat padding. The foam padding on most coasters is usually just glued down or velcroed. I remember working at SFMM when Goliath had a few seat pads fly off too (they were just velcroed on at the time), and that only kept the ride down for 10 minutes to pull off the train (they ended up replacing all the velcro w/ glue after that).

So hopefully we're all just assuming the worst and there's not really a major problem!

^That could also just be due to playing it safe and making SURE things are good.

Does anyone know if the ride has at least done test cycles? That's probably more telling.

Vekoma's website is down. Coincidence? I just tried going there to see if I could find any decent pictures of the seats on their new 4 abreast coaster trains.

It's working fine for me.

I really hope a seat didn't fall off, and if it did... I will never feel the same riding any Inverted coaster.

tnp.sg/news

First Cylons, now Mummies

Another ride at Universal Studios Singapore shut down

By Vinna Yip and Lim Wei Li

March 27, 2010

Just one day after Universal Studios Singapore (USS) shut its main attraction, another ride was closed for "technical adjustments".

For 45 minutes yesterday morning, the Revenge Of The Mummies ride, a high-speed indoor roller-coaster ride, was closed to the public.

USS had shut down the Battlestar Galactica roller-coaster ride on Thursday indefinitely after a technical glitch was found during a pre-opening inspection.

Shin Min Daily News reported that several visitors to the theme park had wanted to take the Battlestar Galactica ride yesterday morning, but were re-directed by park stewards to the Revenge Of The Mummies ride.

But when they got there, the ride was also closed. It turned out that it had been closed at 10.40am.

The visitors were told that the ride was temporarily out of service due to safety concerns.

The park's main attraction remained closed yesterday.

Some visitors voiced their concerns over the safety of the rides.

A Singaporean marketing executive who gave her name only as Mrs Kang, 30, said: "I'd be quite scared to go on the roller-coaster rides. More checks should be done to make sure the whole place is safe."

^^Kind of annoying that a ride being closed for 45 minutes made the news!

The media just doesn't understand. Every day a park has a ride closed for 45 minutes, not a big deal at all.

BSG on the other hand...well, that seems to be a big deal.