TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome TR! I have really enjoyed following the construction of this park. One thing I'm not a fan of are those ridiculous-looking green dinosaurs in JP. It looks like someone stole them from a Sinclair gas station!

Those were some really great pictures, and some good in-depth review. That's really useful, thanks!

Lap bar = boring, tame and lame

I think you should take a ride on a hyper coaster.

Not to start a flame war or anything, just a little disagreement.

Nice trip report!

2. There is no security gates or measures to check if visitors are carrying dangerous weapons of any kinds into the park. Not even a bag check to see what is inside your bag. Sure, this speeds up entry process, but even as I was mingling around inside the park, I don't see lots of security personnel standing guard around.

I can't believe your complaining about this! This just proved that they aren't as paranoid as some of the american parks, which is a good thing in my opinion!

And the flights are cheaper if you fly AirAsia or Tiger (or if you work at the airline and get discounted as you )

Those were some really great pictures, and some good in-depth review. That's really useful, thanks!

Lap bar = boring, tame and lame

I think you should take a ride on a hyper coaster.

Not to start a flame war or anything, just a little disagreement.

I probably should. The problem is, I couldn't find time to get to a park with those rides, or in my mind, find the park overall, not worth enough to plan a trip to. Mind you, I'm not located in the US.

Nice trip report!

2. There is no security gates or measures to check if visitors are carrying dangerous weapons of any kinds into the park. Not even a bag check to see what is inside your bag. Sure, this speeds up entry process, but even as I was mingling around inside the park, I don't see lots of security personnel standing guard around.

I can't believe your complaining about this! This just proved that they aren't as paranoid as some of the american parks, which is a good thing in my opinion!

And the flights are cheaper if you fly AirAsia or Tiger (or if you work at the airline and get discounted as you )

The need for security measure will come into question once something bad happens inside the park. It is usually when things turn south is when they will realize that is necessary. The park caters for families with childrens, what happens when, God forbids, bad things happens to these children running around? I'm not worried much about the adults, but more towards the children.

As for my flight fare, it's the Z-fare. 90% discounted. Or if I chose too, use on of my allocation for free ticket for the Singapore flight. Or take the shuttle bus from Kuala Lumpur for less than USD25. The close proximity allows such abundant options.

I can't think of any parks outside the US that do bag checks, some of the biggest parks on Earth DON'T do them.

Let's be honest, they are completely pointless. They only give dumb people the 'illusion' of security. Personally I'd rather visit a park without metal detectors and bag checks as it gives me a better feeling.

Edited by SharkTums

I can't think of any parks outside the US that do bag checks, some of the biggest parks on Earth DON'T do them.

Let's be honest, they are completely pointless. They only give dumb people the 'illusion' of security. Personally I'd rather visit a park without metal detectors and bag checks as it gives me a better feeling, not like I'm going to some ghetto place!

If you say so, ma'am. Just that when things go wrong, it'll be too late to do anything about it. And when that does, Singaporeans being Singaporeans, will be going head over heels with security measures that it'll be more uncomfortable than your average TSA officers. Singapore = public caning, no spitting and chewing gums. Don't wanna see overtly aggresive measures implied if the so-called "illusion" of safety doesn't deter or at least make people think twice of doing anything criminal. *shrugs*

I wonder if SFMM is already considered "ghetto" now with its metal detectors and all. Last I been there, those things were there.

^I don't quite get your point.

If Singapore is so strict then why is this an issue? Seems like a country similar to Japan or China with a much lower crime rate then the US and other parts of the world, and like them, no terrible security procedures. (Illusions or real)

Edited by SharkTums

Photobucket only let me see 10 pictures But great trip report! This park sounds cool, and it's too bad to hear that rapids Jurrasic Park doesn't work that well. It does make sense when you think about it....spinning raft..people will miss parts of the theming and scare factor-Dinos!

^I don't quite get your point.

And yes, I believe SFMM to be 'ghetto'. It's not a family park at all, and the metal detectors and searches just setup the wrong vibe. (As does the Sheriff's station outside)

If Singapore is so strict then why is this an issue? Seems like a country similar to Japan or China with a much lower crime rate then the US and other parts of the world, and like them, no terrible security procedures. (Illusions or real)

Isn't it better to have some form of security measure, or at least visible ones, so as to deter any possible intention of committing crime, than to have one happen, and get them all go overboard on it? Historically that is the case in Singapore.

Why are we arguing about this? I'm happy they didn't impose such restriction, but I'm thinking of any future implications if such things does happen. And yes, my eyes were peeled, and there are minimal security presence.Unless they employ an "Eye in The Sky" kinda surveillance that I can't see , then IMO they're trusting too much on the good faith that patrons will behave.

Can we move on?

For me the bag checks aren't really for security anway, In most cases they seem more interested in stopping people bringing food in

Moniab is right anyway, whenever they do a security check they only take a quick peek inside...They never check the side pockets, or deeper inside underneath the top layer of stuff, so its pretty weak anyway.

I guess in Singapore the risk of an incident is considered low enough that it doesn't warrant them spending money on wages for security personnel on a daily basis.

Phew! Took me a while to correct the "fluffy fluffy bunny with medicine and goo" nonsense, why does your forum not accepting the word below?* Weird!

this word, why cant I post it? That word isn't obscene.

^ The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo censor is an inside joke over the large amount of people who complained about SF's fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policies a few months back in one of the SF discussion threads. The word is censored as a joke...

Was that going to get changed back eventually? The joke was funny back then, but now the word switch is a pain, and frequently having to explain the joke to newer members is as annoying as the SF policy complainers IMO.

...."I like small boys in tights" will never get old though