TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

In PR speak, the park kept mentioning about the cats' nine lives.

That's one way to look at it! Nice way to explain it from their angle...

Probably to push the "unique" aspect of the coaster.

...though it's not strictly a Universal thing...it's a Zamperla thing. Thunderbolt has the same 9-seater cars, and all of their Hawk flat rides use 3-across seating. Not complaining...just find it odd.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of the tower, except for the peculiar choice of keeping some of the supports white. It seems like an odd design choice that makes a slightly negative impact of the great tower they created. Overall, good choice for the park.

I don't quite understand the themeing (what are they trying to steal from the goose that will save the orphanage?. .is it a golden egg?).

but I LOVE this.

it's like the best parts of Peter Pan's Flight, combined with elements of a coaster.

I'd ride this sucker over and over, and I'll bet it's amazing at night with the lights hitting the disco ball in the dance scene!

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like puss in boots is a winner for the park if even the fast pass line is hitting 45 minutes: http://dejiki.com/2015/05/uss-update-2015may/

I never had to wait for any of the rides on my visit with fastpass but maybe that's because they didn't have the unlimited fast pass option back then so I guess all the guests only getting one ride each must have helped spread it out.

I don't quite understand the themeing (what are they trying to steal from the goose that will save the orphanage?. .is it a golden egg?).

It's roughly the same story as the movie.

From the ride's press release...

At the Far Far Away themed zone, the Giant’s Castle sits ruined, entwined within a giant beanstalk. The

quest, nine lives in the making, begins here as Puss In Boots and Kitty Softpaws go in search of the

precious golden eggs in a bid to save San Ricardo’s Orphanage, which has fallen on hard times. Guests

will join in the legendary exploits of Puss In Boots as they take off on an anti-gravity swashbuckling flight

Onboard one of Humpty Alexander Dumpty’s latest flying machines, guests set off from the Giant’s

kitchen in search of the legendary golden eggs. The mission runs into trouble when they are spotted by

a Tattletale gosling who alerts the Great Terror of their presence in the castle. Once exposed, riders are

rocketed through plenty of twists and turns as they are pursued by the Great Terror, who turns out to

be one big Mama Goose!

source: http://www.rwsentosa.com/Portals/0/RWS/pressroom/2015/RWS-PressRelease-Take_flight_onboard_Puss_In_Boots_Giant_Journey.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Interested to hear some reports on how the new trains feel compared to the old.

In short: It's a much smoother ride. I've got a detailed trip report on my site.

The old one felt like it was going to fall apart with all that jerkiness. The updated trains, while still a little shaky at some turns, is much much more stable. I don't get headaches from the HUMAN side anymore.

Also, both sides seem to go on a more consistent speed - though this observation might be subjective. HUMAN used to slow down dramatically at a certain turn (above the Sci-Fi 'lake') before descending to that drop (photo op area). It breezes through that turn with minimal speed loss now. Same goes for Cylon's vertical loop. There used to be a little slowdown as the train goes upside down at the top of the loop - now, barely noticeable.

The new trains halved the ride's capacity, and using two trains for each track have caused many delays for the past week. Probably will be ironed out in the near future. The other good thing about the new seats is the VIEW. It's far easier to appreciate the whole dueling action while on-ride, because there's only one seat blocking your view on your left/right.

• 1 month later...

I was at the park a week yesterday and it started off not duelling, duelled everytime for most of the day and resumed non duelling rides around 20 minutes before park closing.

Really enjoyed the rides overall. Human was pretty tame and Cylon is much more intense. I love the launching up the lifts (especially on the Cylon side)

• 4 months later...

Bad news Treasure Hunter fans, the express line has been removed (and Canopy Flyers line too) according to Dejiki: http://dejiki.com/2015/12/uss-update-2015dec/

I can see why, considering the capacity and how slow the regular lines could move sometimes especially after they introduced the unlimited express passes as well for people to use the lines more than once.

Edited by Garet

Bad news Treasure Hunter fans, the express line has been removed (and Canopy Flyers line too)

Oh the irony. Was there on 16th November, and we pretty much got the whole park done save for the small kiddie rides and the kiddie coaster. We did Transformers twice, BSG once each side (in the rain mind you - so cool), Mummy at least 4 or 5 times (prefer this version over USH). Puss in Boots, Madagascar, Waterworld, Shrek, Sesame Street, Special Effects show, Jurassic Park (rapids rafts better than the boats!) and to top it off Canopy Flyers and Treasure Hunters.

Why the irony. We waited in line for maybe 30-40 minutes, the longest we waited ALL day, for Treasure Hunters. Yes thats right. I had no idea it was that, well, short. It was obvious what type of ride it was and that was fine, but it was over before you even got comfortable. So weird.

BSG was awesome. Only 1 train operations on both sides, but we got duels on both rides. We went on Human side first and it had started to rain quite a bit during our 5 minute wait, so we were getting stung a bit, but it was awesome. Holding your hands up in just the right spot and distance away from your face proved to be a perfect windscreen! Great launch up the hill. and it was surprisingly good fun ride (the onboard POV's make it look kinda boring). Cylon was good too, butter smooth and no OSTR for headbanging. If anything, it may have been too smooth (is that even possible) and funnily enough I didn't find it as forceful.

I feel like it makes sense to remove the express line for Treasure Hunters. It is a low capacity attraction and express certainly has the potential to slow the standby line when in operation.

I'm still surprised Treasure Hunters made it into the park's final design. It is such an uncharacteristically simple attraction for Universal, which is something I can appreciate. It has some decent theming but no heavy storyline or affiliation with any IP.

• 2 years later...

I'm curious how people feel about USS. This thread hasn't seen a postfor 2 years and the park seems to be forgotten among enthusiasts. We enjoyed our visit very much years ago but we recently had the chance to go back and decided to skip USS for seeing other tourist sites which is rare for me. Posting here popped into my mind because of Battlestar and TPR's coaster poll because for a signature exclusive ride and a dueling one, I really don't know where I would rank it. It wasn't bad enough to be memorable like some rides are but it wasn't that exciting for me to remember that much. Personally, I sometimes find an- eh/ok-ish coaster is worse than a bad one because it becomes a forgettable one.

We loved Mummy and, though preferring Spiderman, also really liked Transformers, but those are at most of the parks. My general policy is to just go to a park and have fun, but I really didn't feel like going for 2 rides that are mostly elsewhere. We keep talking about visiting Disney Shanghai to try out Tron and Pirates because they get us excited seeing future versions or new things of what Disney can do, but we definitely didn't feel that from the Jurassic Rapids ride and were disappointed with what Madagascar had to offer.

I feel bad since I'm all for showing up and having fun at the parks we visit and this has come across quite negative, we really are glad we went the first time but I think this is the first time ever on a holiday we haven't done a re-visit to a big park nearby to go check out other tourist stuff and felt like it was a one and done for now and was curious about other peoples feelings.

^I honestly really enjoyed the park, and the entire Sentosa Island area. I think the problem is that it's just SOOO far away from the vast majority of 'coaster people' and especially coaster people on this website.

For us to get to Singapore it takes a 5 hour flight to LA, a 13 hour flight to Japan, and then a 7 hour flight to Singapore. That's pretty insane. I would have gone back many times if it was the same distance as Europe, and probably at least back once even if it was Dubai or Japan/China distance, but it's just SOOOOO far.