TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

Dejiki and screamscape are both being cryptic about whatever happened making it sound like something bad could have happened, does anyone know more? they are stating the ride will be down for a long rehab again.

http://dejiki.com/2013/07/uss-update-jul13/

Hey there. As I've explained on my site, the Human/Red train stalled at the final banked turn. I wasn't there at the time of incident but apparently no guests were injured. I've checked with some staff at the park yesterday and unlike the 2010 incident, this time they seem to have no idea what the recovery timeline is like. They have confirmed that the ride will not be reopen in time for Halloween Horror Nights this October.

What disturbs me more is that: it's almost a month but the park has yet to make an announcement about the incident. For now they keep saying that the ride is "unavailable", "under technical review" or "routine maintenance".

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dejiki and screamscape are both being cryptic about whatever happened making it sound like something bad could have happened, does anyone know more? they are stating the ride will be down for a long rehab again.

http://dejiki.com/2013/07/uss-update-jul13/

Hey there. As I've explained on my site, the Human/Red train stalled at the final banked turn. I wasn't there at the time of incident but apparently no guests were injured. I've checked with some staff at the park yesterday and unlike the 2010 incident, this time they seem to have no idea what the recovery timeline is like. They have confirmed that the ride will not be reopen in time for Halloween Horror Nights this October.

What disturbs me more is that: it's almost a month but the park has yet to make an announcement about the incident. For now they keep saying that the ride is "unavailable", "under technical review" or "routine maintenance".

What caused it to stall? Screamscape is again giving mysterious hints that something serious happened, did it pull a steel dragon and throw a wheel?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting rumors on dejiki today: http://dejiki.com/2013/10/uss-update-oct13/ Since its a rumor right now I'd take it with a grain of salt but thought it was worth sharing.

I'd be very shocked if they removed the ride that really stands out from outside the park and one of their most unique attractions but then again it seemed to be largely ignored by most people in the park when we went, even though transformers right next door had an hour line all day, even with single rider and 1 train operation the trains sat idling in the stations for a lot of the time waiting for people to fill them up which is not something you'd expect from a star attraction.

^Hmm--it isn't that strange for parks to remove a ride from marketing materials if that ride is going to be down for a long time, and maybe Panasonic's sponsorship commitment simply ran out without a renewal. But we'll see. This ride does seem to have a fair number of "issues."

I recently came up with a somewhat ridiculous idea behind the closing of Battlestar. What if it were moved to another Universal park? It is possible that, if the coaster is removed at all, that Universal could pull a Six Flags and send it to a different park in which it could make more of its value. If it were sent to USH, it could be easily rebranded as a Dragon Challenge coaster, to go with the later stages of Wizarding World. Although it was not stated that USH would receive a Dragon Challenge coaster, perhaps this could be a new idea for the later stages of USH development.

However, both USH and USJ have issues with space, while USO would not need a relocated coaster. This is just some speculation of what could happen if Battlestar were removed.

Where was our 'biggest roller coaster fail' thread again??

So sad, as the two coasters were actually quite decent! Seems that there was some major engineering fails going on though. Hopefully they replace BSG with something even better! (ie Not Harry Potter!)

^I doubt they'd relocate the ride this early in the park's lifespan. If the coasters' troubles are really structural and engineering based, then relocating it won't solve the problem.

If it had to be dismantled to fix any structural problems but could be salvageable, I wonder if they would send it to Universal Studios Korea to become their headline attraction on opening and give the ride a new life as something different away from singapore (with a different theme perhaps), I could see it doing quite well over here.

^Yes, it's probably the park's destiny. Universal is going to keep milking this cash cow until it runs dry.

There were tons of sinaporeans flooding a harry potter exhibition when I went to Singapore, If this did eventually go to Singapore, wouldn't this be only the second ride to have been built in all universals? I was trying to think what i've seen in all the parks but all that cam eto mind was Shrek 4D.

Interesting rumors on dejiki today: http://dejiki.com/2013/10/uss-update-oct13/ Since its a rumor right now I'd take it with a grain of salt but thought it was worth sharing.

I'd be very shocked if they removed the ride that really stands out from outside the park and one of their most unique attractions but then again it seemed to be largely ignored by most people in the park when we went, even though transformers right next door had an hour line all day, even with single rider and 1 train operation the trains sat idling in the stations for a lot of the time waiting for people to fill them up which is not something you'd expect from a star attraction.

I'm hoping that it's really a rumour because I do love this ride and would rather wait another 6-12 months to go on it again, than to see it go. I had reservations on posting that rumour on my site, but since some people were asking for any kind of update...

BSG did become less popular after Transformers opened - there were few moments that the ride had long wait times then (HHN last year was memorable - the outdoor switchbacks on the first level were all filled up!) But interesting you said that the trains sat idling. The last time I went on this ride was probably in April/May, but since 2011 I've never experienced that (despite the obvious inefficiency of not waiting for more people)- the trains went out even with as few as 2-4 people on it; or even if one side is emptier than the other, they will still launch both trains.

Now, I am really starting to take these rumors more seriously, after I decided to check the website. Turns out, Battlestar is not on the attractions listing. At all. I could turn out to be wrong, but I skimed through all of the areas, including Sci Fi city, and Battlestar is not listed on them. Generally, a park will have a disclaimer next to a ride saying that it is closed currently, but, on their website, there is simply no acknowledgement of the coaster even existing. Could this be a further clue hinting the end of Battlestar Galactica?

Whatever it gets replaced with (if it is removed), I actually do hope it is a major coaster, just so this Universal park can still have a major thrilling attraction outside of a Mummy clone.

• 1 month later...
If it actually gets removed two things will happen:

1. Everyone who did ride it will all of a sudden say it was the BEST COASTER(S) EVER!!!!

2. It will get added to our biggest roller coaster/amusement park fail thread!

That's a surprise to me to hear it might be removed. From pictures it looks very impressive and will leave a major attraction whole in the park. But I guess Universal have ideas up their sleeves on what to do with it and what to replace it with.