TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

^ Quickquestion I've been wondering about the elevators:

Do you notice the elevator moving and how fast is it?

In my first ride-through, no. I was focused on the projections - the elevators are hard to notice. As for its speed, I would say that it's like a normal lift? It doesn't go very fast, and other than transporting the ride vehicle, it also carries those expensive HD projectors, which moves up/down with the ride vehicle.

IIRC, the projectors have their own independent lift system.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ride looks really amazing. I can't wait for it to open in the states. The season pass preview is a great way to be one of the first. When Mummy opened in CA, I bought a season pass just so I could ride it when it was in pass holder previews. I really hope to get out to Singapore in the next year or two.

Hahaha looks like I should get an annual pass just to have the privilege of being invited for sneak previews of new attractions! Man I sure as hell bet the lines are gonna be crazy when it finally opens to the public?

I could almost imagine the staff trying to hold back the endless tide of people who insisted on barging in despite not having annual passes? And I agree with your point that more staff may be required for crowd control?

Sounds to me like this ride could have just been on a stationary base and offered 90% of the experience. The awesomeness of Spider-man is the practical effects that are on top of the screens. The bridge scene is fricken amazing. Sounds like transformers has more in common with Speed of Magic,as far as set design and integration go. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm surprised there aren't any onride pics yet.

-R

While there aren't much "physically moving" effects ala Spider-man, they used more lighting effects instead (e.g: when Megatron fires his missile, a moving blue "glow" is projected onto the ceiling and walls in front of the 3D screen, as if the "missile" is actually casting that glow, producing that illusion that it is flying towards riders).

The first scene, actually has a lot of little LEDs scattered over the walls, which are supposed to "flash" as bullets ricochet off them - unfortunately they don't work yet. They also had lights on the catwalk (which the Ravage jumps onto) that flashes in sync to produce the illusion of the robot running on it. I was expecting it to "drop" a little, maybe it was supposed to, or maybe not.

I need to go on the ride more often to discover more.

Another quick update just sent in from our friends at USS!

Transformers: The Ride at Universal Studios Singapore Resorts World Sentosa opens 3 December 2011!!

DSCF1901.thumb.jpg.31a1129d838eebd4c34d82f9dfc6ba09.jpg

The final hoarding walls were removed from Sci-Fi City this morning...

DSCF1902.thumb.jpg.da9634341bd42f8ad93c2ad5dc7c0254.jpg

And the EVAC photo op is now open for guests!

DSCF1903.thumb.jpg.062dacf1d974809efd966e19aa7ac9fa.jpg

Yep - they have TWO full-size Transformers (so far) in Singapore!!

377013_10150389941911074_662906073_8252204_458087655_n.jpg

I was at the Transformers: The Ride Press Conference just now (which was a closed event at Sci-Fi City, in the park!). Michael Bay, Thierry Coup and John Hallenbeck were at the session. While there were the usual "Which is your favourite scene in the ride? What would you do differently? Do you like thrilling rides, Mr Bay? Is there Transformers 4?" sort of questions, Coup has confirmed that both rides in USH and USS are identical once the ride experience begins in the ride building - the only difference would be the exterior (which we all know what's going on at USH) and of course, things like the chinese instructions/subtitles for pre-show videos in Singapore. Coup has also confirmed that there are no plans to build a Wizarding World of Harry Potter zone at USS, despite recent rumours.

Edited by robbalvey

^ I didn't know that there was a rumor about the Harry Potter zone for USS...Anyway, there ain't any spaces for the zone to be build. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to have two different castles in a theme park.

It started off from the story on WSJ about WWoHP being built in USH. Here's a similar story: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Lifestyle/Story/STIStory_740436.html

• 5 weeks later...
^Have you been able to see the Transformers characters? The picture RW Sentosa posted on their Facebook looked incredible!

Yep, here are some photos of them:

The Transformers characters appear for short moments (it's a heavy and complicated costume) and the line for photos are VERY long. Also, they usually don't appear together.

The Camaro used for the grand opening is displayed at Sci-Fi City. Sorry for this angle, I had a nice front shot of it but my friends were in the photo.

Anyway, Transformers had a really high wait-time last week (on a Tuesday): 180 minutes in the afternoon. The queue flowed out and the park set up a temporary switchback queue zone at New York (moving towards the New York Library, then towards Sci-Fi again into the ride's entrance). The photo above showed that even this extra queue area wasn't enough.

It's not that the other rides are packed either. Wait times were short (10-30 mins) for other attractions except Treasure Hunters and Canopy Flyer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ride restraints altered for Battlestar Galactica: HUMAN

Do you see something new here? No, this is not the test seat for BSG: CYLON. This is the revised seat for BSG: HUMAN. The original design does not have the shoulder restraint pads (the black U shaped item with the Vekoma logo, that looks like a portion of a vest).

More about it here

http://dejiki.com/2012/03/uss-update-mar12/

^We posted about this in our Where in the World update. The second train was already done with the new OTSR's back in early February sitting in the transfer area.

Sad, but apparently necessary.

Shucks, missed that! The ride crew told me that they only started using it from the 13th of March.

Did you ride it with the new restraint? I imagine it doesn't make too much of a difference on that ride.

Yep, I rode it yesterday. I miss the original design because it felt very exposed and when I bring first-timers onto the ride they'd scream and swear after sitting down when they realized there was nothing to hold on to apart from the lapbar

There's also that really nice air-time during the first drop, especially when the lap-bar was pulled to the minimum acceptable threshold - for a few seconds, riders will feel their body (waist-up) float UP and OUT of the seats [as if going down the drop standing!], especially for the LAST row. It's gone now. Maybe the standing effect was never supposed to be there and might be a potential safety issue.

Are you still able to put your hands up? I would think that they would want the shoulder harnesses so that people wouldn't be able to put their hands up during the near-miss sections.

Are you still able to put your hands up? I would think that they would want the shoulder harnesses so that people wouldn't be able to put their hands up during the near-miss sections.

Yes I still can. But some riders with narrow shoulders may no longer be able to do that.