TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

ACE

TatsuXtreme

^^When I was in ACE many years ago, it only costs $50 to renew. Even then, I didn't think it was worth renewing. I just didn't go to events because they were too far away. I don't recall any ACE events in Florida when I was a member. Sure, I got a magazine and a newsletter, but I usually got the information from the Internet long before the literature came out. I didn't use the discounts too often either. So I didn't see the point of paying $50 for a newsletter and a magazine.

I can respect this response and fully understand the reasons.

Kelly

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm against the idea of having TPR as a "club."

I think the club itself is the reason why ACErs are a little bit chauvinistic. They are kind of like "The Heathers" (not the GAP Heathers ), most of them are arrogant and kind of biased towards one general opinion such as "Cedar Point is the bestestest theme park EVAR!", etc.

Having TPR as a club would mean that the laid back forum we have right now could turn into a sort of elitist/snobby enthusiast board (like Coasterbuzz ).[/quote

Most acerers? there are about 8,ooo members and you say "most of them" in this post, so you must have met at least 6 or 7 thousand of them to make this claim.

so if someone thinks CP is a great park does that make you more arrogant and biased as if- say you thought the same thing about HW or Knoebels? Just a thought....being bias about whatever works boths ways you know

Kelly

• 1 year later...

Sorry for grave-digging an old post, but I usually try to make posts in already established threads, rather than start new ones.

I have a question that's somewhat related to the discussion here, but first let me explain the purpose of the question:

WCB '08 was the first coaster "event" that I'd ever attended. It required no coaster club membership, and that was at least part of the reason that I chose to attend. My family and I had a simply awesome time at the event and we can't thank the people of TPR, Rideworld, and SFMM enough for the great time we had. I've since considered attending more events like this in the future, but I've come to realize that some of these events will likely require membership in a coaster club. On the first page of this thread Robb provided a link to the ECC. I was curious as to why he would suggest a club located on another continent. It's not that I have anything against European coaster enthusiasts, but I just think I personally might rather join a club that's somewhat closer to my "base of operations".

I'd like to join a club that has a family option available so that I can include the entire family, and possibly a few friends from time to time, in these coaster events. So, with that said, and considering that I'd not likely be a particularly active member of any club, what club would you suggest I join so that I might have access to "club only" events?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I'm sure some that read this post will suggest, "Just take a TPR trip". That is something we will hopefully be able to work into future plans, but for now I wouldn't mind just attending a coaster event from time to time.

Mechanic: On the first page of this thread Robb provided a link to the ECC. I was curious as to why he would suggest a club located on another continent. It's not that I have anything against European coaster enthusiasts, but I just think I personally might rather join a club that's somewhat closer to my "base of operations".

I checked out the website myself. Although the ECC's main headquarters is in another continent, on the website it says that it also includes coaster information from the USA in addition to the UK and the rest of Europe. When you sign up for a membership, they actually have a branch here in the US (in Massachusetts). So in a way, they cover a large range. They also have a family member option, which I believe is an extra 3.00 per person (I don't know if that includes the base registration fee). I hope that helps!

P.S. Robb stated earlier that the ECC has a better magazine than ACE... and that they give you more bang for your buck (from what I interpreted).

I was a member of RCCGB for may years until it split into ECC and RCCGB as two seperate clubs, I moved across to the ECC as their magazine Airtime is a brilliant read, filled with useful and informative stuff, quite humourous too!

All i remember from the RCCGB (Mr Andy Hine) is the infamous "coaster handshake" which was seen on TV over here on numerous occasions which scarred my hobby of Coaster Riding for life....whenever I mention it with family present my father enjoys bringing up the garish coaster handshake!

At least the ECC is a normal bunch of people who just enjoy riding coasters and writing about them, completely normal, much like everything i have seen so far from this forum, I have not been a member of ECC for a few years now, I keep forgetting to sign up! But after being on this forum for a month or two now, I personally think I will stay here, even if it is based in the US, Rob and Elissa (and everyone else for that matter) do a superb job of updating and providing useful and fun Trip Reports, and i cannot wait for next year when I can make it over to the US to meet everyone on a trip or two!!!!!!!!

Andrew "What started off as a short response, turned into a book" Shakespeare

I was a member of RCCGB for may years until it split into ECC and RCCGB as two seperate clubs, I moved across to the ECC as their magazine Airtime is a brilliant read, filled with useful and informative stuff, quite humourous too!

Dude, ECC publishes First Drop not Airtime.

As for ACE, don't pigeon hole a whole group for the actions of a few individuals. I know a few people who have been on TPR trips that have offended a number of people and they are members here and not ACE. So should we make fun of TPR? Oh, wait. we already do!

The point is each group serves a purpose. For people starting out, ACE is not a bad group. The have both regional events and National events. I happen to like to travel so for me I prefer the ECC. They take one and two week trips all over the world. If it wasn't for TPR I would be traveling with them.

Oh, one more thing, A few of the mods here are members of ACE.

Dude, ECC publishes First Drop not Airtime.

As for ACE, don't pigeon hole a whole group for the actions of a few individuals. I know a few people who have been on TPR trips that have offended a number of people and they are members here and not ACE. So should we make fun of TPR? Oh, wait. we already do!

The point is each group serves a purpose. For people starting out, ACE is not a bad group. The have both regional events and National events. I happen to like to travel so for me I prefer the ECC. They take one and two week trips all over the world. If it wasn't for TPR I would be traveling with them.

Oh, one more thing, A few of the mods here are members of ACE.

D'oh, thats what i meant in my semi-awakeness when i wrote that!

Andrew "loosing the plot" Shakespeare

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but I just received the newest ACE news letter and wanted to point something out.

Despite all of the ACE bashing that goes on here, on the last page of the ACE news letter there is a link that sounded all too familiar to me.

www.rollercoastersintheraw.com which lead me to the TPR store.

I've got to say, after all of the ACE bashing that I have read on this site, I was very surprised to see this.

Robb, Elissa... did you guys set this up, or did ACE publish this all on their own?

P.S. For the record, I'm an ACE member and I LOVE TPR! (Don't bash me! )

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but I just received the newest ACE news letter and wanted to point something out.

Despite all of the ACE bashing that goes on here, on the last page of the ACE news letter there is a link that sounded all too familiar to me.

www.rollercoastersintheraw.com which lead me to the TPR store.

I've got to say, after all of the ACE bashing that I have read on this site, I was very surprised to see this.

Robb, Elissa... did you guys set this up, or did ACE publish this all on their own?

P.S. For the record, I'm an ACE member and I LOVE TPR! (Don't bash me! )

ACE probably put that in there themselves.

I'm not going to speak for Robb and Elissa, but they're not against ACE, they just don't see eye to eye with them on a lot of stuff. Thus the ACE "bashing" which is really just in jest now.

If ACE is your thing, by all means, go for it!

Robb and Elissa bash a lot of people including each other, their family, and friends. It is all in fun and part of their personalities. They are never malicious in their comments or actions.

They don't see eye to eye with everybody. Who does!

Just to clear things up.

I'm not upset or anything, and I guess the word "bashing" wasn't the word that I should have used.

Sometimes it's hard to tell how people mean for things to come across on the internet, and I definitely didn't mean it to come across in a negative way, or in a way that seemed like I was complaining.

I guess the winking smiley didn't quite work.

I have no problems with anything that goes on here. In fact, I find it all pretty funny.

I know that I only have 140 posts on here, and I have only been signed up since February of 2006, but I have been reading this website pretty much since it was started.

I know a lot about a lot of people on here just from reading about them for years, which is why I know how Robb and Elissa feel about ACE, and I just thought that it was pretty ironic when I saw the link in the new letter.

Please don't think that I'm a stick in the mud, haha.

• 4 weeks later...
Therefore leading to even more negativity and gravy eating!

Obese Enjoy Food Less and Less

Overeating -- Like Addiction -- Linked to Brain's Reward Circuit

By Daniel J. DeNoon

WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Oct. 16, 2008 -- Obese people expect to enjoy food more than lean people do, but when they eat, they enjoy it less, a brain study shows.

And that's a problem. To make up for the missing enjoyment, obese people eat more high-calorie food. Overeating further dulls food enjoyment and locks people in a vicious circle.

The finding comes from real-time brain-imaging studies in obese and lean women by Eric Stice, PhD, of the Oregon Research Institute, and colleagues.

"We originally thought obese people would experience more reward from food. But we see obese people only anticipate more reward; they get less reward. It is an ironic process," Stice tells WebMD.

Stice's team showed women a picture of a chocolate milkshake and a picture of a glass of water. The heavier the woman, the more active the pleasure center in her brain.

Then the women actually tasted a chocolate milkshake or a neutral solution. Heavier women had less activity in their brains' pleasure centers.

"Probably this is related to downregulation of the brain's reward circuit. The more you do things that are rewarding, the less reward you see," Stice says. "The more you eat an unhealthy diet, the more you see this blunted pleasure response to high-energy foods."

Tufts University neuroscientist Emmanuel Pothos, PhD, has seen the same thing in mouse studies. He was not involved in the Stice study.

"Obesity is not only a function of brain systems that regulate body weight, but a function of brain systems that regulate eating for pleasure," Pothos says. "In mice, the central dopamine system -- the system that underlies pleasure from eating -- is defective. The animals have a very low response to stimuli that release dopamine. And food is one of those stimuli."

New Genetic Risk for Obesity

Some people carry a variant gene that dulls dopamine responses. These people, Stice found, are more likely to be obese. And even if they are not obese, they get less pleasure from eating -- putting them at risk of overcompensating by overeating.

"People with the most blunted reward circuits are at the most risk of overeating, and the more they engage in eating, the more you see downregulation of their reward circuitry," Stice says. "They eat more to get the same reward."

"Of course it is a vicious circle," says Pothos. "A person says, 'I do not get pleasure from high-energy food, so I am eating even more but getting less pleasure, I don't know what to do. So obesity and weight gain may result from what we may call addiction to high-energy food."

The term "addiction" isn't a metaphor. Stice and Pothos note that the same vicious circle, involving the same brain circuits and the same underlying genetic susceptibility, occurs in people addicted to drugs.

New Genetic Risk for Obesity continued...

However, both researchers are quick to point out that a dysfunctional pleasure system is only half the answer to the puzzle of obesity. Metabolic functions that control body weight also play a major role.

"We don't want to say obesity is an addictive disorder and not a metabolic disorder. We just want to say, 'Pay attention to both,'" Pothos says.

Stice is now looking at whether obese people who switch to a healthy diet can reset their pleasure circuitry. He finds that when obese people stop eating energy-dense foods, their craving for such foods goes down, not up.

"If we can get obese people to improve the quality of their diets and stay the course for long time, eventually they do much better in craving and their pleasure circuits should go back to their old balance," he says.

Pothos and colleagues are looking at whether parents' unhealthy eating behavior has an effect on children -- even before they are born.

"How did the obesity epidemic happen? Something is passed from parents to their offspring," he suggests.

Stice and colleagues report their findings in the Oct. 17 issue of the journal Science. Stice's colleagues included researchers from Yale University and the University of Texas at Austin.

How to be an ACEr.

1. Gain at least 95 pounds.

2. Pay a ridiculous amount of money.

3. Don't talk to ANYONE.

4. Browse the interwebs looking for POVs of Crystal Beach Cyclone.

And don't forget, eat all park food, or food that can be found and tastes like the food at the park.

- Basil

• 2 months later...

Wow.

It is really surprising to see so many people join the bandwagon to bash an organization for no reason. To be so immature as to stereotype everyone as being overweight and creepy? Seriously?

I just wish some of you would not jump to agree with whatever Rob/Elissa decide to have an opinion about just because it makes you seem "cool". That alone is actually more sad then any acer I have come across.

Some of you really need to grow up.

^ With all due respect, as a 20-year ACE member myself, I, too am ashamed of the antics of a few members of the club. As with any organization, it only takes a few "bad apples" to ruin it for everyone. Some facts:

ACEers do indeed chow down at ACE events. I've been there. I know.

In recent times, there have been incidents at meals/events where there was a noteworthy speaker who was all but ignored because those in attendance just couldn't put their forks down/shut up/pay attention long enough to listen to what was being said.

So, you may wonder, why do I stay a member? The same reason I belong to a few other organizations. Among the bad, I can usually find the good. And there are some good people in ACE. And I enjoy riding coasters.

I also do some SFMM-bashing despite the fact that I really like the place and wouldn't have known what to do had it closed a couple of years ago. It's sort of like poking fun at yourself.

Eric

I'm an Acer, but I definately don't see eye to eye with them on the importance of preserving ALL the old rides they can.

If its a fun ride and it's old and they want to fight it getting torn down, thats one thing.

But to whine and complain about a crappy old woody that is not enjoyable to say the least getting bulldozed in spite of it's so called "Historical Value" is just pointless to me.

I'd rather have a fun NEW ride instead of a painful rickety one with historical value any day.

I don't really give a rat's fart about which coaster is the oldest or the first with this type of lap bar or any of that crap. All that matters to me is that it's fun.

But I think Acers can be a wonderful bunch, some people just spoil the organization's name for the rest of us.

How the hell does anybody in ace ruin it "for everybody else"?

Other then that holiday world accident which delayed future events, what other situations have effected you personally?

I have been in ace for quite a few years and have met many wonderful, VERY normal people. I agree, there are weird people in ace, but to act like that is is all they are consisted of is ignorant.

Oh do you really need to drop the "they eat too much" card? Why do YOU personally care so much about what people eat? If it bothers you THAT much, you really need help.

^First off, you obviously don't post a lot or know us personally so I don't even know why I'm bothering responding...

That being said...did you ever think that maybe people aren't just sucking up to us and maybe, just maybe, feel the same way!

ACE is a terrible organization, and if you knew what they did with your money and how they act behind the scenes you'd feel the same way! Spend your money with a better organization (such as ECC) or even better, put it towards a TPR Trip and you'll see why people support us...because we know what we're doing and work to make our participants happy!

How the hell does anybody in ace ruin it "for everybody else"?

Other then that holiday world accident which delayed future events, what other situations have effected you personally?

I have been in ace for quite a few years and have met many wonderful, VERY normal people. I agree, there are weird people in ace, but to act like that is is all they are consisted of is ignorant.

Oh do you really need to drop the "they eat too much" card? Why do YOU personally care so much about what people eat? If it bothers you THAT much, you really need help.

Total posts: 23

First off, ACE is not a good value, I agree (which is why it expires next month and will not be renewed. I just enjoyed the magazines), and I have no problem with your opinion about the organization itself, but your stereotype and rudeness to the members that belong to it. That is what bothers me.

It's wrong to generalize like that about any type of organization or group. I could give examples, but it is better I do not.