TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Saddam to Hang for war crimes

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as I pulled this thread up, my iTunes cued up this choice cut from Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison album. Select exerpts...

Well, they're building a gallows outside my cell

And I've got twenty-five minutes to go.

And the whole town's waitin just to hear me yell

I got twenty-four minutes to go

Well, they're testing the trap and it chills my spine

Eleven more minutes to go

And the trap and the rope, awww they work just fine!

Ten more minutes to go,

With my feet on the trap and my head in the noose

Five more minutes to go

Won't SOMEBODY COME AND CUT ME LOOSE?!?!?

Four more minutes to go.

I can see the buzzards, I can see the crows

One more minute to go

And now I'm swingin' and here I go go go....

Ok he's a bad person, a really bad person.

But, people that sentence someone to death are just as murderers as the one sentenced.

And I think, that just killing someone is a really cheap and easy way to punish. A quick end to a life is not a punishment. A life without the possibility to see or to be outside, living on a tiny cell with only the bare necesary food after beeing used to luxury, extravagance lifestyle and all migthyness THAT really would be a punishment for that man.

And Ill be praying for God to save his soul.

"But, people that sentence someone to death are just as murderers as the one sentenced."

You couldn't be more wrong. A murderer is someone who kills an innocent person. Saddam is the murderer here. His sentence of death is a just one for what he's done.

Eric

But, people that sentence someone to death are just as murderers as the one sentenced.

As a general rule, I agree with that statement. But in Saddam's case... Even when he's long-dead, the saga will continue. But it will TO AN EXTENT becom easier once he's dead. The situation is so complex and the guy still has so much power in certain areas... He needs to die. It's the only way that country can even begin to build itself back up and find some peace.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill

To kill means to extinguish the life and hence cause the death of a living organism.

The concept of killing is the most general of the four, with no implication of the manner, justification, or purpose of killing, or nature of what is killed, whether human being, animal, plant, or other object considered to posess the quality of life.

A death sentence is a sentece to extinguish a persons life.

To extinguish life is to kill.

To execute is to kill a person marked for death by the state, in a manner sanctioned by that state, whether by law or decree.

To assassinate is to kill a person marked for death, with the intent of furthering ideological or political goals.

So, any goverment or group of people or just one person that decide to extinguish someones life ( to kill somone) becomes an assasin. And you cant tell me that killing Saddam is not for furthering ideological or political goals.

In a country like the USA, the death penalty is a meaningless deterrent against crime. (Due to the extensive appeal process) Personally, I think that life in prison would be a worse form of punishment.

But in Iraq, Saddam is more than just a Sadistic Psychopathic Killer, he is a Iconic Symbol. His execution is a necessary step for the People of Iraq. Because until he is dead, these people will not be able to truely move forward with their lives.

The only thing this is going to do is cause more violence over there. He's going to become a Martyr. It's too bad, if anyone deserves to hang, it's him...I'm just worried it's only going to lead to more Anti-US sentiment.

I am so happy with it.

He did more than it and any other verdict could have become a joke.

I live in Israel and during the first Gulf war he shoot missles to here and they fell really near my house. I was 18 and it is still traumatic to me. I remember those nights inside the shelter withour sleeping trying to understand what that crazy Sadam had against us. For more than 30 days and nights we sat inside shelters with the gas masks which are horrible things and were so afraid that tyhe next missle would be a chemical one.

I just want to know this man is dead !!!

I think everyone who's posted in here has a legitimate point for one reason or another. There's simply no easy answer for this one.

In a country like the USA, the death penalty is a meaningless deterrent against crime. (Due to the extensive appeal process) Personally, I think that life in prison would be a worse form of punishment.

I agree with the first statement. I'm not so sure about the second. Even life on death row ain't so bad anymore. Trust me on that one.

The only thing this is going to do is cause more violence over there. He's going to become a Martyr.
Exactly. Although, if he's killed, then maybe Toby Keith could write another song about how America kicks a$$.

^ I respect the way you think.

But I also think that if you think that are people that were not created to be with God, then u dont understand fully the message and life of Christ.

Well, I can tell you this much. I've had personal firsthand experience in forgiving a murderer of a close family member. All talk about the death penalty is just that.....talk, until you're faced with the issue on a personal level. Even as a devout Christian, I can't even begin to explain to you the mix of emotions you feel as you sit facing the murderer of a loved one. In the end, and in my heart, I was able to forgive as Christ would. However, the road to that decision is not B&M smooth.

I sympathize with every innocent family in Iraq (and surrounding areas) who were forced to endure this man's wrath for years. Compared to many death row inmates in the US, I don't think you can possibly make a case for any sort of reform with Saddam. He is evil, period. If there is forgiveness to be handed down on his soul, that is between him and God. A God for which I'd be willing to bet he hasn't even considered acknowledging.