TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mission:Escape

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so te cars are all stacked up at the top of the tower. But how are they released? If it's a press-a-button system then where will the buttom be? The only logical explanatian would have to be in the car.

Strange, very strange

Cool...

But strange!

Okay so te cars are all stacked up at the top of the tower. But how are they released? If it's a press-a-button system then where will the buttom be? The only logical explanatian would have to be in the car.

Strange, very strange

Cool...

But strange!

Well there will be one person who sacrafices himself and presses the button. he wil lthen either grab onto the back of the last car and ride it togo style or jump off.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, none of us will probably ever get to ride it, but NASA has proposed building a 350 foot tall rollercoaster as the launch tower escape system for Ares, the replacement for the space shuttle. It has a vertical 350 foot drop and a max speed of 100mph before it hits the breaks, and a total ride time of 88 seconds. Too bad it looks like they're using Vekoma/Arrow style track -- Intamin box track would look much cooler.

Kinda redefines "rocket coaster", eh?

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/e78830b92f5e0110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Pad2.JPG.1cc2f89dd8ee8e9f5752b848388f3e16.JPG

rocketcoaster_b_enlrg.jpg.8fd65324e6870ed2adc5b3ab3677b1e1.jpg

rocketcoaster_385.jpg.35df1e5a19e5f0753cf38b92dc16f7fd.jpg

Whats with the pod over the car? Also, wouldnt it take longer to get in, and pull down the restraints than to clip youself to a wire and skim down? I mean what if one of the astronauts decides to pull it so that he gets some floater down the drop and flys out?

• 7 months later...

I believe Elissa has returned to Florida and entered the Astronaut program, she's not going to let a credit go without a fight. Myself, I'm going disguise myself as one of those plastic dummies they use when they test these things.

I'm surprised they don't have a bit of a launch to get it going down even faster. I guess we will see it in action because they will have to test it now and then, especially before launches.

• 3 years later...