TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cypress Gardens Announcement on Nov. 9th

^I think you're a bit biased!

From all of your posts on the board it's quite clear that you would save ANY wooden coaster as long as it was old. Did you ever ride Starliner? It was pretty much the 'Southport Cyclone' of Florida! Boring, uninteresting, and it didn't help Miracle Strip stay open!

I'm trying to HELP Cypress Gardens here, and for 5 Million Dollars they could do a lot better than putting up Starliner!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, the Starliner was so crappy, I didn't even bother taking video of it!

That's gotta say something!!!

Although I get the feeling Vertical Zero would give his right and left testicle in order to save Southport Cyclone.....

So that's saying even less!!!!

--Robb "I crack myself up!" Alvey

Why "scrap" Starliner..? It is a wood and of a classic design.

These type of woodies are getting few and far between, give it some NAD trains for the old look style.

I hate the SLC being built at BPB and will never ride it.

I have been on the original at Walibi World and that was "headache" enough.

"Booster" bike's need to have a better design/layout, they need some diving loops and in-line twists before they are any good.

"Eurofighters" have a 2 compact layout, give it a long out n back / twister layout.

Good luck to Cypress Gardens and hope the "Starliner" runs for years to come.

About the EuroFighter it's supposed to be compact! I was made to deliver high-quality thrills in a low area of space. If park wants one like that they can order it like that.

As for the Booster Bike, its a family coaster, not a B&M sitdown. Plus all of those inversions would pull too many g's to be comfortable. RCT3 is starting to have a little too much influence here.

--VFB "Not trying to be rude, just realistic."

^ I just have to agree with you! A Booster Bike is a great addition to any park but they are family coasters. Eurofighters can go into any park. They have small spaces so that parks with very litle room (Adventure Island) can have a major coaster.

But as for the adult steel, people are saying that its a Vekoma. I agree with this. Either a Vekoma or that Pinfari from Southport's Pleasureland (jk)!

Speaking of SP, I think only good coasters should be saved. I am a classic ride fan and I love roller coasters but Starliner shoiuldn't have been saved and left to rot in that field! The Cyclone was not saved and even though I wanted the ride to be saved, it might have not been good enough to be saved.

Dude, the Starliner was so crappy, I didn't even bother taking video of it!

What's scary is that I think I actually have video of it! I'd have to search through a box of old tapes to make sure. I'll save that for a day when I'm really, really bored. Sort of the same sensation that I had while on the Starliner!

Seriously, people were hardly knocking down the gates of Miracle Strip to ride this coaster, I refuse to see how it's going to generate any buzz for CG. As much as I don't like them, a Booster Bike would be PERFECT for CG. Or a Eurofighter, which if it's anything like the one at Oakwood, I'd make a trip back to ride.

They have to do SOMETHING to get the non-locals to the park, as obviously the locals are not keeping the place afloat...

dt

The park just needs unique stuff to that area, like a Maurer Sohne spinning coaster instead of the crazy mouse also found at Disney. Or instead of grabbing a Roller Skater found at both Disney and Universal, why not go for a Zierer Tivoli?

Derek, I wondered the EXACT same thing. When I heard they were announcing a spinning coaster I was hoping (praying) it would be a Maurer Sohne. I dont know why he chose to go with Zamperla, maybe it was cheaper, but I dont think it was necessarily a good idea, considering we already have one in Florida. The other thing thats dissapointing is how he praised it to be so highly themed and then just added a "Galaxy Spin" sign to the top with slightly themed UFO cars...

I'm not sure if he even notices that stuff or not! I always wondered what his opinion on other parks are/were considering that alot of his attractions can be found in many other parks; like I mentioned above.

I mean alot of people would fight it and tell you that the reason he can't build anything big is because of the city, but you dont need HUGE coasters to make a good park... he could STILL do something unique like said. Even a smaller version of an Intamin rocket like Kanonen? Or what about an Intamin Half-Pipe? I know he has Disko but that would still be something like no other park has! Even an Invertigo would be a step up considering there are NO shuttle coasters in Florida and the whole "going upsidedown backwards" might spark at least some attention.

-Justin (Sorry for the OTHER long post)

Been to florida a couple of times, never managed to go.

I don't drive thats my issue, real pain. Is there anyway to get to it from I Drive, by public transport except a taxi?

It's a real shame if they don't because silly British tourists like me want to go but can't.

Although I have never been it reminds me of a poor oakwood mixed with Lightwater Valley.

They have to do SOMETHING to get the non-locals to the park, as obviously the locals are not keeping the place afloat...

dt

If concerts are the big draw, I think they need to bring in some of the bands that Dave listens to.

dt

If concerts are the big draw, I think they need to bring in some of the bands that Dave listens to.

Barry...one of the funniest things ive heard from you in awhile...

You get a cookie!

-Ryan "This is my 700th Post!" King

As I live in a country that has only 3 maybe 4 decent "woodies", I just want say how lucky everyone is who lives in the USA.

You have El Toro, The Voyage, Shivering Timbers, Tremors, Wildcat etc

You are def spoilt with Wood coasters.

These types of wood coasters would never be created in the UK.

The Best woodie in the UK is "Megafobia", this is what our Parks need more of, for some reason the parks here do not want to built wood coasters.

I hope Alton Towers can get permission to build a Woodie in 2008, they need one.

I just love the layout / Fan Turns / Camelbacks hills / NAD trains and Bunnyhops of "Classic" Out n Back (Starliner) Pre 70's woodies.

I have been on Cedar Point's "Blue Streak" and Kings Island "Racer" and they were outstanding and so much fun, there is nothing like these in the UK.

I have never been on "Starliner", loved to though. Why is it so bad? Is it the speed, rough, slow?

I can see your point as a bad coaster "Robb", but it could need some TLC to get it back on top form. Maybe the move to a different park might give the woodie a boost and it starts to perform well.

All the best with the park for saving "Starliner" a John.C. Allen's "Classic" Out n Back.

^Starliner had no real redeeming qualities to it. The tunnel was kinda cool, but it offered no real sensations at all, no airtime, no laterals, no sense of speed, just like Southport's Cyclone.

Some wooden classics are a lot of fun, like Phoenix, the trio at Kennywood, the Blue Streaks, Coney Island Cyclone etc. Heck, even Dragon at Rye Playland is a pretty fun ride, while not having a load of thrills, its good for the family.

But just because something is old doesn't mean it needs to be salvaged, especially if its ridership wasn't much even when it was opened and was the only roller coaster at the park it existed at previously. I can think of a whole lot more classic woodies that I'd like to see moved and saved from the wrecking ball before Starliner; like Screechin Eagle, Idora Wildcat, the original Twister, and the Lincoln Park Comet.

^ and even still...you look at the videos that are out there of well known "classics" like the Idora Wildcat and they don't even hold up today to some of the best designs of CCI, GCI, Gravity Group or Intamin woodies.

I know it's just a difference of opinion, but I'd rather see new woodies being built today that push the envelope rather than flashing back to technology and designs from 50+ years ago.

I don't think you'd see 90 degree turns, 70+ degree drops, etc being used 50 years ago so why go backwards when the present and the future can offer so much more?

Just look at the top 20 of Mitch Hawker's Poll from last year:

1 Balder Liseberg SE 65 173 0 0 1.0000

2 Thunderhead Dollywood TN 130 171 2 0 0.9884

3 Boulder Dash Lake Compounce CT 144 171 3 0 0.9828 27

4 Tremors Silverwood ID 65 168 3 0 0.9825 15

5 Aska Nara Dreamland JP 39 169 4 0 0.9769 10

6 Phoenix Knoebel's PA 202 170 4 0 0.9770 9

7 Hades Mount Olympus WI 108 169 5 0 0.9713

8 Rampage Visionland AL 61 165 9 0 0.9483 17

9 Avalanche Timber Falls WI 99 165 9 0 0.9483 11

10 Shivering Timbers Michigan's Adventure MI 137 164 9 1 0.9454 55

11 Raven Holiday World IN 184 164 9 1 0.9454 53

12 Colossos Heide Park DE 93 164 10 0 0.9425

13 Ozark Wildcat Celebration City MO 62 157 12 3 0.9215

14 Megafobia Oakwood UK 75 160 14 0 0.9195

15 Cornball Express Indiana Beach IN 141 159 14 1 0.9167

16 Timber Terror Silverwood ID 68 156 14 4 0.9080 29

17 The Legend Holiday World IN 177 158 16 0 0.9080 20

18 Coaster Playland BC 63 155 18 1 0.8937

19 Grand National Blackpool UK 104 153 19 2 0.8851 24

20 GhostRider Knott's Berry Farm CA 201 153 19 2 0.8851 18

Only 3 "classics" in the top 20.

I'm not saying I'd be a "hater" of a classic being brought back to life, because there are plenty of classics that I do like a lot (Pheonix and Grand National come to mind) I'm just saying I don't quite understand the attitude that bringing back the classics is the best way to "move forward".

--Robb

^I prefer new woodies too and I dont why they should preserve this, well, if they waited they could of got zippin pippin

But there are very good classics that have been preserved like all the woodies at Knoebles (even if some are remakes, they still resemble the main ride and improved it) and there all fantastic!

Well its still good there preserving starliner!

Well its still good there preserving starliner!

Ok, I just don't understand this attitude.

Once again....almost everyone who has been on the Starliner has told you "the ride is not very good."

So in your response, replacing the word "starliner" with a description of the ride, you are basically saying:

"Well it's still good they're preserving a ride that's not very good."

WHY IS THIS A GOOD THING!?!??!

If you're going to save something...save something that was GOOD!

Anyway, it's obvious that people don't see beyond a ride's "age" and all they want to see is something old being salvaged.

It's too bad really...because it's this attitude that is keeping the park from getting a "good" new ride.

--Robb

For what they're spending on Starliner, could they not build a new quality GCI? That would make more sense to me. Sure, saving an old woodie might get you some marketing power, but it would have to be a coaster that has some sort of buzz about it. As I've said in the past, Starliner is NOT one of those coasters. Almost no one rode it at its old location, another park that went out of business. There are not a lot of people around that say "man, I wish I could ride the Starliner again!" or similar statements.

I'm all for preservation and all, but it should make sense. If you're spending a lot of money to re-build a ride that had no redeeming qualities about it, wouldn't it make more sense to build a new ride, one that you could better use for marketing and getting the park's name out there? That seems like the better idea to me...

dt

"Well it's still good they're preserving a ride that's not very good."

WHY IS THIS A GOOD THING!?!??!

If you're going to save something...save something that was GOOD!

--Robb

I didnt mean that (I just wrote it out badly so its not your fault ) what I mean is its good there doing it for the heck of it!

For all we know it could end up as the oldest coaster but the chances of that are slim as the park nearly closed

I have not rode Starliner so I appreciate the chance to ride it someday in its new location. However judging from the comments coming from people I respect I am not expecting much. I do feel that an old ride does fit in with the park, however saving a ride should be cheaper then a new one and judging from their figures isn't that very close to what Beech Bend paid. I am guessing a "Florida Rumbler" would have been a much bigger hit.

I think Starliner is a good fit for the park, it has history behind it and it's like Cypress Gardens: It was saved from being demolished. My friend who works at Cypress Gardens told Kent Buescher that he should have a Eurofighter as their next steel coaster built because Florida doesn't have one and they are pretty good considering the opinions of other people. All it takes is for Buescher to listen. And maybe we can refrain from commenting about others opinions please, everyone hear is entitled to their own opinion so lets end it.

And maybe we can refrain from commenting about others opinions please, everyone hear is entitled to their own opinion so lets end it.

Dude, WTF is your problem? How many times do we have to tell you to STOP telling other people what they can and can't post about?

I'm really sick of it. This is your final warning.

--Robb "Oh, wait...I know what the problem is...you're 13 years old." Alvey

I think Starliner is a good fit for the park, it has history behind it and it's like Cypress Gardens: It was saved from being demolished. My friend who works at Cypress Gardens told Kent Buescher that he should have a Eurofighter as their next steel coaster built because Florida doesn't have one and they are pretty good considering the opinions of other people. All it takes is for Buescher to listen. And maybe we can refrain from commenting about others opinions please, everyone hear is entitled to their own opinion so lets end it.

Yeah..it has a history behind it..and should be LEFT as HISTORY! It was saved from being demolished by sitting in a boggy field for months on end? The Starline sounds like its a lame coaster! I probablly wont be making a trip out there to ride it! Personally, Id rather go ride the Zippin Pippin then the Starliner!

Robb is totally right! And I think that spending the money to put up a "Historical" coaster is a waste! Save the money, Invest in something MUCH better and more unique! The Starliner is just going take up needed space in that park...

-Ryan

All I'm saying is that maybe we can be a little more constructive on the criticism. And if you want to ban me I don't care because I don't need you saying stuff about my age when you're older than me screaming at people WTF.

We are offering constructive criticism dumbass! Where have you been! Weve been saying that the park can become much better! They dont need Starliner! Weve been saying that the park looks nice, well kept etc! You make it sound like were smashing it all the time! And yeah..your 13...WTF!

-Ryan