TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cypress Gardens Announcement on Nov. 9th

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it... Why are there Cypress Gardens fanboys and what's so special about this park that some defend it so fierce? To me it just looks like a not-so-special park...

History my friend, history. It was the first theme park in Florida. It has the most renowned ski show in the world. It has one of only three Intamin flying islands in the world. It had one of the most awesome natural sights in the Banyan Tree and the botanical gardens are unmatched. It has a beautiful butterfly house. It has a nice little zoo area. The bird aviary is one of my favorite places to visit! It has a nice paddle boat dinner cruise. It has a really cool train set. It has a beautiful topiary garden. It has a nice little water park that is part of the general admission. It has a large number of kids rides. There are a lot of family shows there, and they also have two or three small thrill rides.

But the thrill ride crowd is not who they are marketing to. Which is one reason I think so many people here don't like it.

^No, we don't need 'thrill' rides to make us happy. In fact Bonfante Gardens is my favorite California Park! You should go there, they're doing Cypress Gardens right!

All of those things you mentioned really don't make a park stand out, even if they're all in the same place. I can think of tons of places that have better versions of everything you mentioned and more!

Plus, Holiday Park has a Water Ski Show AND Expedition Ge Force!

Cypress Gardens doesn't care about getting people from other states. They are only worried about the locals and other Floridians. Anyway, Holiday Park isn't in FL is it? Cypress Gardens has the best Ski Show in Florida IMO and one of the best Skating shows in Florida aswell. The gardens are absolutely stunning and are as good as the Bok Tower gardens or maybe even better. The Butterfly gardens are awesome compared to others in the state. And their ride line up is pretty good for a park that only opened 2 years ago, compared to Old Town and other small FL parks.

Ooo I just had a great idea!

How about this...

To post in a Cypress Gardens thread, more than half of your total post count must come from a completely unrelated to Cypress Gardens thread!!??

I'm thinking this policy would help a great deal!

Next, it should be "Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Cypress Gardens Fanboys!"

Personally, I think Cypress Gardens is OK, but if they really want to compete with the big boys, they need to install other stuff rather than off-the-shelf rides.

How about this...

To post in a Cypress Gardens thread, more than half of your total post count must come from a completely unrelated to Cypress Gardens thread!!??

Feel free to ban me for this, but that's a very "dickish" thing to say.

I don't get it... Why are there Cypress Gardens fanboys and what's so special about this park that some defend it so fierce? To me it just looks like a not-so-special park...

History my friend, history. It was the first theme park in Florida. It has the most renowned ski show in the world. It has one of only three Intamin flying islands in the world. It had one of the most awesome natural sights in the Banyan Tree and the botanical gardens are unmatched. It has a beautiful butterfly house. It has a nice little zoo area. The bird aviary is one of my favorite places to visit! It has a nice paddle boat dinner cruise. It has a really cool train set. It has a beautiful topiary garden. It has a nice little water park that is part of the general admission. It has a large number of kids rides. There are a lot of family shows there, and they also have two or three small thrill rides.

But the thrill ride crowd is not who they are marketing to. Which is one reason I think so many people here don't like it.

If all that was good for anything they wouldn't be honoring passes from any theme park.

I personally wish the park well. I think a park like that has tons of potential in the central Florida market, since all the other offerings are tourist attractions or resorts. But they still have a long ways to go if the best they can do to get people in their park is "we'll honor any theme parks annual pass! PLEEEEASE visit us locals!!!!"...

I dont mean to sound like the bad guy here to start a debate (even though thats not what I'm trying to do) but Im sorry guys, I REALLY dont think that by adding Starliner and a new area is going to help improve the park that much! Infact... I know it wont...

Now I'm not saying I HATE Cypress Gardens, but I would definately choose other parks before it. I guess the main thing is that I was just dissapointed that it didn't turn out better than I thought it could have.

Going to Wild Adventures over and over, I thought that Cypress Gardens would have a nice backyard theme park feel to it, even though Wild Adventures is a small backyard amusement park, it STILL seems to have a nice feeling to it? I just dont get this at Cypress...

Its like he bought a bunch of carni rides and slapped them down ontop of grass, posted fences around them and called it an "Adventure Park"? Now dont get me wrong... Im not completely HATING on the park, it just doesn't have enough to satisfy my needs, or continue to go there. Infact, I am a local myself and have not even attended the park since a couple of years ago.

Did Kent improve the park? Yes, its definately better than it was before... Is it what it should be? No, it could have been something ALOT more than it was... I mean I'm glad that he's finally announced to build the Starliner (if it actually gets built) but I dont think just that is going to bring in crowds.

The fact is that this park has way too many rides slapped down that aren't of high quality to bring people back, infact... 'most' of the rides in the park can even be found in other parks in Florida (Rampage = Flying Unicorn, Inverter = Old Town, Swamp Thing = uh... pretty much the same thing as Rampage but inverted?!?!... Galaxy Spin = Primeval Whirl!?... etc.. etc.. etc.. you get my point)

I'm glad to hear that he's trying to improve, but he really needs to do alot more if he wants to get his attendance up and not file for bankruptcy.

Maybe I'll go back when he accepts passes from ANY park if he's that desperate... but for the most part I'll stick to Disney & Universal. I even drive by the park at least 3times a week and still never visit.

-Justin "Sorry for the overused and huge post guys..."

Thank you for your constructive criticism, I think I have finally realized what people are saying. Yet I doubt it will close soon. IMO we should wait for an actual announcement stating closure instead of assuming. Kent still has many more tricks up his sleeves so I wouldn't turn him down yet. He did promise to add an Adult steel coaster to the park so I'm still waiting. So lets play the wait and see game, Cypress Gardens only re-opened 2 years ago so we should give it a chance. Please do not take this as offensive.

How about this...

Feel free to ban me for this, but that's a very "dickish" thing to say.

Thank you!

But just so everyone knows, you have been banned for acting like a complete dick to people who don't agree with you. While I'm sure you will think you have been banned for "not agreeing with the admins" that is certainly NOT the case. It's fine if you disagree with us, it's how you presented your point and treated other members that goes against our TOS.

Also, it's probably not a good idea to call the site owner's wife "dickish" when all she was doing was making a joke.

We don't need people like you on TPR. As a 30ish year old adult, you should be acting like one on the forum. But instead, we have teenagers who are able to argue their point in a more mature manner than you. (reference: see Mr. Volcano above....great post Justin!)

And being as you asked to be banned, well hell! I'm not going to pass that opprotunity up!!!!

We've actually been very supportive of Cypress Gardens lately. We had a good TR from our visit last month, and we've said over and over that we don't want to see the park fail. But you just keep insisting we have certain opinions and putting words in people's mouth that they aren't saying. That kind of behavior will just NOT be tolerated here. And we've given you fair warning and plenty of chances.

Please see www.coasterbuzz.com or Rec.roller-coaster where your attitude will fit in just fine!

--Robb "I hope everyone understands why this was done..." Alvey

Why is it always about having the best rides? Cypress Gardens is good for people to stay away from the hustle and bustle of other parks. IMO they are a good old stile park that brings people back to the days when parks weren't about Hypercoasters and Huss Frisbees. A park doesn't need a Medusa or Kumba to stay in business, if it has a friendly atmosphere that makes the park enjoyable then hell yeah I'll go back. Damn it, why do you people care so much if a park has an Intamin or Vekoma? And Robb, I hate it when you call people "a$$" because that doesn't help at all. In fact it doesn't help, it's being a DAMNED RUDE PERSON!

Totally out of line.

Most parks in my opinion have been able to offer an awesome Atmosphere...like Disneyland...or like Elissa Said, Bonfante Gardens. A park doesnt have to have a "Hyper" coaster of Intamin coaster to be awesome!

Sorry Elissa, But Bonfante Gardens here in Cali was an OK park in my book! A little overpirced, but an overall good park. Not a park I would likely revisit, unless they lower ticket prices. But I still enjoyed it. Snagged my credits, got some Dip-N-Dots, and I was gone!

Cypress is one of those parks. You come, you do what you gotta do, then your gone. And most likely never to return again. As Robb stated above, we have been giving them support by dropping in, saying nothing but nice names and such. The park was very nice, well kept etc. But from all the rumors and for the fact of the filing for bankruptcy, you cant help but to think that maybe..JUST maybe...its possible to say the closure of CG may be soon. Eh, Ok, Starliner...cool.

As for that Steel coaster....haha!

So...I persoanlly think all these "Cypress Gardens Fan Boys" Need to chill out...we have the right to our own god honest opinions!

And Dave...well said.

-Ryan "Dont make me pull the saber of justice on yo CG Lovin @$$!" King

The park doesn't necessarily need a hypercoaster, that was just the first thing that came to my mind. The park DOES need stuff that is unique and something no other park in Florida has that they can market the crap out of. When SeaWorld took the steps into becoming an "Adventure Park" they did so by first getting a watercoaster, something no other park in Florida has. Next up, a floorless coaster. "Florida's ONLY" seems to work really well for marketing down in that area and SeaWorld seems to attract a lot more visitors than before.

I could totally envision a Eurofighter, Booster Bike, Motocoaster, or even a Volare being good for marketing there. "Florida's only flying coaster" would sure attract some attention on billboards up on I-4, even if the coaster would be brutally painful.

The park just needs unique stuff to that area, like a Maurer Sohne spinning coaster instead of the crazy mouse also found at Disney. Or instead of grabbing a Roller Skater found at both Disney and Universal, why not go for a Zierer Tivoli?

When parks are competing for business with other parks in the same region, you don't go out and get the same exact thing another park has, especially at the same time. You don't see Dorney going out and buying a Batman clone to compete with the Batman that Great Adventure put in the year before. When Hershey put in their inverted, it was a completely original layout. That same year to compete with Hershey, Great Adventure went with an indoor coaster, something that neither of the parks nearby had yet. And to compete with them both, Dorney got a hypercoaster, which none of them had yet.

When Disney announced Everest, Busch didn't rush out to get a mine train with a backwards section, they decided to go for something Florida didn't have yet, a dive machine. If Cypress really wants to draw in people and have them keep coming back, they need to be original in their rides. Starliner will be a good backbone coaster, as a wooden out and back is something the other Florida parks doesn't have. But its not going to draw in the big crowds, it didn't up in Panama City. At least, it won't draw them in if it runs in the same condition as it did in Panama City. Now if they tweak its profile so its a bit more peppy like Phoenix, maybe they'll attract some attention eventually. But its not going to be an immediate thing, its going to take a while.

Derek -

Yeah, You do make a lot of sense! I described that no, they really did need one, but I do agree with you! I could easily see sometime like a flying coaster or a tight-ass booster bike coaster going in there. I say, scrap the Starliner, use that what, 15 million dollars it said? And build something MUCH more enjoyable!

-Ryan

If they had a Booster Bike and a Eurofighter there, I'd totally go back! But Starliner and an SLC? Hmmm.....

Seriously, though, as much as people might hate the sound of it, a Boomerang would be a MUCH better addition than an SLC.

Florida already has plenty of Inverted coasters, and far better ones. There isn't a lot of coasters that go backwards.

But yeah....a Booster Bike & a Eurofighter would be PERFECT for that park.

--Robb

If they had a Booster Bike and a Eurofighter there, I'd totally go back!

But yeah....a Booster Bike & a Eurofighter would be PERFECT for that park.

--Robb

I've never been to Cypress Gardens, but based on what I've seen on the boards, making it into the American version of Oakwood sounds like a good plan. Heck, bring on the partying bunnies, sez I!

Why "scrap" Starliner..? It is a wood and of a classic design.

These type of woodies are getting few and far between, give it some NAD trains for the old look style.

I hate the SLC being built at BPB and will never ride it.

I have been on the original at Walibi World and that was "headache" enough.

"Booster" bike's need to have a better design/layout, they need some diving loops and in-line twists before they are any good.

"Eurofighters" have a 2 compact layout, give it a long out n back / twister layout.

Good luck to Cypress Gardens and hope the "Starliner" runs for years to come.