TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

You know, I think I would like Civilization IV more if there were actual missions. I know that kind of breaks the open-ended feel of the game, but the tutorial just doesn't teach a newbie enough to truly know how to play the game decently. As it is, gamers just have to use trial and miserable error just to pick up the basics.

I feel like I'm caught in the infinite black hole of gaming. Seriously, I'm not hardcore enough to play CoD or Battlefield for days on end, I'm not patient enough for racers or RPG's (or, in the case of some racers, feel let down by a lack of options), I'm legitimately too stupid for puzzle games, strategy games, and MMORPG's, and Sports games bore me to death/confuse the hell out of me. It's like, my god, there's RCT, there's the Burnout games, and that's it. The entire list of games I could enjoy anytime.

I must be the fringe market from hell.

^ I know you said you don't dig the super hardcore shooters, but give Team Fortress 2 a look. It's on 360/PS3 as part of The Orange Box, and on PC as a standalone game or as part of TOB. You can have fun with it at just about any skill level, there's something for everybody. And the community tends to be really great, they're generally friendly and very forgiving of new players.

Oh, and have you checked out any music games? Rock Band 2 and the DJ Hero series are really good.

Just finished "Donkey Kong Country Returns" and good lord nearly busted several veins in my head... that was SO difficult... but oh so satisfying... now I'm trying it again... and not finding it NEARLY as difficult... yeah, its very tough... but not so much where it isn't fun...

Also just ordered Mario Sports Mix on Amazon (due to the $10 credit they are currently offering)... should be receiving that next week sometime...

and will continue with DKCR in the meantime... as well as Super Mario All Stars...

I still have yet to find a copy of Super Mario All-Stars. I've only seen it in the stores one time and I should have gotten it then. A small independently owned game store has these copies available at $60...crazy if you ask me, nothing like being one of those scalpers at the ball game. One of these days, I'll find a copy.

In the mean time, still hooked on LBP2. After playing some Donkey Kong, I was inspired to make a mine kart level and have a cool one going so far.

^ I know you said you don't dig the super hardcore shooters, but give Team Fortress 2 a look. It's on 360/PS3 as part of The Orange Box, and on PC as a standalone game or as part of TOB. You can have fun with it at just about any skill level, there's something for everybody. And the community tends to be really great, they're generally friendly and very forgiving of new players.

Oh, and have you checked out any music games? Rock Band 2 and the DJ Hero series are really good.

The funny thing is, I've wanted the Orange Box since it came out, but I already have Portal as a standalone and I'm kinda iffy as to whether or not I'd like Half Life.

I do love the Rock Band series, and would grab DJ Hero if it weren't for the fact that I can't afford another peripheral and my friends would never let me live it down.

Good suggestions though!

Although, I'm gonna have to warn you, the PC version of Team Fortress 2 is far, FAR superior to the console version, as Microsoft hasn't allowed any of the 125+ free updates that VALVe have released, from map updates to dozens of new weapons, hats, game modes, maps, it has a higher player cap in each game, there's a drop system, trading, and much more. If you can possibly get the PC version of The Orange Box, by all means go for it, even if it means spending a little bit more.

I still have yet to find a copy of Super Mario All-Stars. I've only seen it in the stores one time and I should have gotten it then. A small independently owned game store has these copies available at $60...crazy if you ask me, nothing like being one of those scalpers at the ball game. One of these days, I'll find a copy.

I guess I got lucky. I got my copy of All Stars for just $25.

As for games I'm playing now, I'm on the snow level of Contra.

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2, and Heavy Rain a lot on PS3 lately. Heavy Rain is truly a unique and amazing game..I just started it on Sunday and I really enjoy it. Mass Effect is really cool too; I don't usually play games like that, and I like it a lot.

IDK how many people use Steam, but Super Meat Boy is a hard A$$ BITCH! Very addictive/fun though.

I have Steam, you can add me at Jchan12.

A little update on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 here. Playing the single player mission right now (on hard difficulty) and I'm up to the third mission right now. Love the graphics and the amount of realism as well as the way how most of the environment can be destroyable. Meaning you can blow a sniper's cover by wrecking the walls of buildings.

Battlefield 2 is an epic game, amidst all of the Call of Duty and Gears of War and Halo titles that my friends adore, it's the one shooter that I always seem to be coming back to (well, that and Black Ops, but that's...Black Ops). Can't wait for Battlefield 3 this fall!

And since it seems like people are starting to add Steam names, mine is Mooco2 (also my Live Gamertag if anyone wants to add that).

I got Dead Space 2 (PS3) yesterday as a birthday gift so I'm now playing that. Awesome game so far, definitely a game to keep you on your toes. If you're going to play this game, please hook some good headphones up and sit in a dark room and enjoy the game! So far, I've had a couple "Oh Sh**!" moments from the simplest things such as fire sprinklers suddenly going off, and some random thing turning on. On the flipside, it's almost like navigating by yourself through a huge Haunt maze, you never know who's going to come out.

Long story short, get this game now!

^ I wish I had either a good PC or a PS3/XBox! The mom commercial made me LOL sooooo hard, possible the best add campaign for a game EVER. Also, I have never played it, but has anyone hear ever played amnesia? There are reaction videos of people almost crying due to their fear. My friend cant get past a specific level because hes scared to go on... how damn scary is this game?

Hm, how odd. I received an invitation to the DarkSpore Beta, which was apparently sent to members of the Spore Community, despite the fact that I've never played the original game or signed up for any forums or anything, ever.

Ah well, I'll give it a shot. It looks pretty rad.

So did I, and I've never even heard of the game.

I just started using The Sims 3 create a world tool. I always get bored with the actual Sims gameplay pretty quick and focus on lot design, so the idea of creating a whole world is appealing. The learning curve seems to be kinda steep, but I've gotten to the point where I can make a multi-leveled terrain looks fairly realistic so I'm optimistic.

Hm, how odd. I received an invitation to the DarkSpore Beta, which was apparently sent to members of the Spore Community, despite the fact that I've never played the original game or signed up for any forums or anything, ever.

Ah well, I'll give it a shot. It looks pretty rad.

Hopefully it's not as much of a letdown as Spore was.

I started playing Disgaea: Hour of Darkness yesterday. Seems like a pretty nice game, but MAN, the graphics take some getting used to. I expected them to be blocky and similar in style to Final Fantasy Tactics, but I didn't know it was going to be so blurry on a 16:9 TV.

Ah well, it's still a fun first step into the world of strategy RPGs.