TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

Oh, how I wish my dad had pre-ordered Black Ops instead of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. You guys will have to tell me if there is any Taliban o terrorists in it. Awhile ago he saw a news report that you could play as Taliban in Multiplayer, so I need to prove him otherwise.

I just realized...he's thinking of Medal of Honor! The Taliban didn't even exist during the era that this game is set in (1960's).

The game is a hell of a lot of fun, if you can get your hands on a copy, I highly recommend it!

A lot of people don't like it because it actually takes skill to be successful instead of just taking advantage of some exploit. It's sad really. Have we really gotten to the point where so many people don't have that skill anymore, so when an exploit tailored to their needs isn't in the game, they whine and say the entire game is bad?

^The same goes with Halo Reach. Many people (most often Call of Duty fans) hate it and say that it sucks, but it sucks to them because they don't use the right strategies or techniques. I think that's why Halo has such a high replay value versus Call of Duty (where you get sick of it), because there are so many techniques and so much skill involved.

In CoD, you have to just shoot straight. In Halo, you have to shoot straight for longer periods of time and be consistent, use different strategies on how to get those shields out based on the current situation, and battle for weapons placed on maps. Call of Duty just requires getting the good guns by playing the game long enough and being able to shoot straight (and in some instances, first). Now, I know CoD also has other strategies, but those are also apparent in Halo or even in any other FPS game.

The difficulty of a game shouldn't measure how good it is, that's for sure.

Yep, to win on team deathmatch, you can't just run around aimlessly with akimbo models, or a .50 cal sniper quickscoping anymore, you actually have to think and have a strategy...which is what shooting games should be.

One other thing I noticed about Black Ops is that NONE of the maps are sniper-friendly. They are all giant mazes that are mostly close-quarters. I love that. I always sucked at sniping and HATED being constantly pinned down in some shooters, while the "snipers" sit in their little bubbles easily picking people off. The only game I have played that had balanced sniping with assault-style of play was Socom 2.

Definitely worth it if you can pick it up. I just turned level 25 today, and I'm loving the Galil, AK74U, and the MP5K. It does take a lot more planning and skill to get a kill, and the killstreaks are well balanced. You'll generally get at least a kill with them, but no 10+ kills (unless you're using chopper gunner or gunship...). I'm on PS3, and if anyone wants to play, just PM me.

I've been in a retro phase lately.

For some reason, I just have a sudden urge to buy an actual, physical Super Nintendo/Famicom or Sega Genesis. Maybe it's because I never had those consoles growing up (I had a PlayStation), or maybe I just want to feel the sensation of actually holding a SNES/Genesis controller and the cartridges.

One of these days I got to go to my local flea market and get those for cheap!

As for modern games, "Epic Mickey" looks incredible! I love how the world resembles a Disney theme park. I wonder why there aren't that many games that center around a Disney park. The only ones that come to mind are Adventures in the Magic Kingdom for the NES, Walt Disney World Quest Magical Racing Tour for the PSOne (and other systems), and Epic Mickey.

^I am looking forward to Epic Mickey as well, but I'm not holding my breath. A lot of the Disney games are pretty bad. I've heard it is because of how much control Disney has over the product, and that they don't really let the developers/designers (the real experts) go with what they know works. Working for Disney in the past I have seen how incredibly bureaucratic it is and can completely understand. My favorite Disney game is Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion on the Genesis. If you ever find it, get it. As for themepark based games, the Magical Racing Tour wasn't to bad for it's time.

I've been in a retro phase lately.

For some reason, I just have a sudden urge to buy an actual, physical Super Nintendo/Famicom or Sega Genesis. Maybe it's because I never had those consoles growing up (I had a PlayStation), or maybe I just want to feel the sensation of actually holding a SNES/Genesis controller and the cartridges.

I hear you. My aunt moved recently (well, in the summer), and I found a Nintendo while cleaning out her house. She let me have it, so I have been buying a ton of old games for it. Luckily there's a mom and pop game store near me that sells games for practically every mainstream console in every generation.

Playing Goldeneye 007 (Wii) - never played the original N64 release... so far, on single player campaign, I'm on the 4th or 5th mission... and damn this game is tough... and that is on the easiest difficulty setting. I have a feeling, I'm trying to rush in and "run and gun" too much... where I probably should be more spy like and invisible... great fun so far... much better than expected!! I'm sure I'll get eaten alive in online multi-player... but I'm not even close to trying that out yet...

New Carnival Games (Wii) - I enjoyed the first one (over many beers with friends...) so I figured, what the heck... and its just as fun, if not more-so... it even includes a haunted "dark ride" shooting target game... simple -- sure... cheesy -- absolutely... but OH SO COOL!...

Ivy the Kiwi? (Wii) - Such a great game... still playing it, since I got it back in September... very addictive... and beautiful...

Dammit!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat runs like absolute crap on my computer! Maybe it's my horrid graphics card (GeForce 3600, if I remember correctly), or maybe the fact that my computer is 3-4 years old, but still, I should at least be able to run it smoothly on Low settings.

At least Shadow of Chernobyl runs absolutely beautifully on rather high settings.

Yeah, it's because Treyarch made it and they nerfed Quick scoping. I've actually really enjoyed sniping in this game. While not as fast as MW2, the hit sound created by the bullet hitting the enemy half a second after you shoot is just sooooooooooo satisfying. If you haven't already, try the AK74u, AK47, Famas, and Aug. Those are my favorites so far.