TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

• 4 weeks later...

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has to be the coolest freakin game I've ever played. Just look at this, especially the part around 2:10. It brings a huge grin to my face every single time I see it. You could argue that at this point, you're not so much playing at as watching it and occasionally pressing a button, but I'm a sucker for giant, stupid spectacles, and this game brings that in spades.

I'm in the middle of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. I've been playing that game on and off due to all the problems I've been having with my Wii U Gamepad's charger. I got into book 3 yesterday, I passed the third campfire cutscene, and I'm about to finish the chapter 'Captain Toad's Trials'. I had to quit due to battery problems during the boss involving Gold Draggadon.

I really want to get Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker while shopping this weekend. I enjoy the surprising complexity and the cuteness of that game.

That game does look good. I really want to get it, but I still need to get a WiiU first! I'm hoping they get a special edition gold one for Zelda. If they do, I'm definitely getting one.

^ I bought the Zelda one that came out a few years ago with the release of Wind Waker HD. A gold one would be gorgeous!

I bought the one that came with New Super Mario Bros. U & New Super Luigi U last year. I think it's funny how the cover for the former game is nearly the exact same as NSMBW. Mario's on a Yoshi, the Blue toad is displaying an action of a Yoshi, and the yellow Toad is just showing off the main new item.

^ I feel ya. It's one of the only games I ever preordered because I couldn't risk the bundle selling out haha

How's Captain Toad? I wanted to buy it, but I already have an enormous backlog and want to save my money for a bit (kinda broke after the holidays).

• 2 weeks later...

One game I really want to buy is Cuphead for Steam. As a part time animation enthusiast, this game looks amazing to me. I already caught a subtle reference to the cartoon "Swing You Sinners" involving the flower boss.

How's Captain Toad? I wanted to buy it, but I already have an enormous backlog and want to save my money for a bit (kinda broke after the holidays).

It's a pretty good game. The level design feels very smart, and it encourages you to go back & 100% each stage. The extra stages for if you have 3D World save data are kind of annoying, as it takes about 5 minutes just to run through each one without collecting everything. So I was slightly disappointed. But, I would still recommend this game, and it's quite fun.

Edited by DonGeorge

A great weekend for video games for me!

My friend and I finally got around to reopening our Minecraft server. Our last hosting company screwed us over (don't EVER use McPowerHosting, you'll regret it!), and we just now had the time to get another one going. We've been running servers together since Beta first came out.

Also pre-ordered GTA V on Steam and Majora's Mask 3DS!

• 2 weeks later...

^Speaking of GTA V I've been replaying the story again (first time in over year since I got it). Such a fun game! I have a 360 but I plan on getting a PS4 since most of my friends who still game own one. First person GTA V is amazing BTW, and I can't wait to own it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Got Majora's Mask 3DS on Friday, and I must say that I'm impressed by the graphics. They made Termina absolutely BEAUTIFUL. They really stepped up their game from Ocarina of Time 3DS.

However, I'm very disappointed by how much the game has been "dumbed down." After playing Wind Waker HD (and being slightly irritated by it being dumbed down), I knew this remake would be easier than the original, but I was shocked by how much easier it is so far. If you haven't played the original game, you should know that Majora's Mask was a difficult game. There were lots of allusions and vague hints to guide you through, but now it pretty much spells everything out to you. My friends and I have been jokingly calling it "Majora's Mask: Hand-holding Edition."

Admittedly, I haven't completed the game yet (I'm about 40% of the way through), I'm sure the rest of the game follows the same "hand-holding" path. I give it a 4/5 so far simply because I love the original game.

I picked it up as well, and am loving it. The notebook thing does make it easier, but I'm the type of player that likes the hand holding, I get so frustrated wandering around for hours not knowing what to do next or what I'm missing. I also wonder if it's easier because it was released over 14 years ago. Maybe it's just that we have all gotten better at video games after 14 years of practice.

^ I was actually wondering if I had just gotten so much better as well! Even though I've played the game a few times through, I'm not nearly as familiar with the dungeons in Majora's Mask as much as I am with the Ocarina of Time dungeons. Admittedly, the original WAS difficult enough to have you wandering aimlessly trying to figure out what's next. Fortunately, they did change a few things around to confuse people who have played several times through (i.e. changing the time of the Blast Mask event and moving a few of the Bombers around in the hide-and-seek game).

One of the first things I did to make sure this was still a quality game was check to see if this guy was still here, and he is! Gotta love the guy stuck in the toilet!

Gotta love the toilet guy! I probably won't pick up Majora's Mask 3D since I still have my N64 set up and never actually beat the game. I'm playing A Link To The Past right now, but once I beat it I might try Majora again. The problem is that I always start playing that game but lose interest or get too busy to spend the time needed before finishing it. Then after a few months without touching it I forget what was going on and start over. That has kinda happened to me with every Zelda game though (except for Ocarina of Time).

So I went ahead and bought a New 3dsxl since Nintendo screwed up the Majora's Mask 3dsxl release. I do have to say, the 3d is ten times better! Haven't you the little nub thing yet, but I really think the 3D is worth the update. I actually keep the 3D on now! Transferring the systems is a pain, but at least there isn't a limit to how many times you can transfer a system, it's just limited to once every 7 days.

Just ordered a Playstation 4 today! I usually give new systems about a year to work out the bugs, and it seems a good time to jump in now. Came bundled with Last of Us: Remastered. Haven't had a chance to play that on PS3, and I've been a fan of Naughty Dog since the Crash Bandicoot days. Very much looking forward to this when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! I also always give consoles a year or two to work out any issues and build up a solid game library. However, I probably won't buy a PS4 until there's a big price drop and/or Metal Gear Solid V comes out. Just don't have the money or time for that right now.

Just ordered a Playstation 4 today! I usually give new systems about a year to work out the bugs, and it seems a good time to jump in now. Came bundled with Last of Us: Remastered. Haven't had a chance to play that on PS3, and I've been a fan of Naughty Dog since the Crash Bandicoot days. Very much looking forward to this when it arrives.

You will not be disappointed with Last Of Us. One of the best games I have ever played!

I have been playing Dying Light and loving it (most of the time). It's like a cross between Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed set to a zombie apocalypse theme. Soooo many zombies.

Edited by ernierocker

Currently, my two big video game obsessions are "Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep" (via the HD 2.5 Remix) and "Kingdom Hearts re:coded."

Many Kingdom Hearts fans that I talk to often point to "Birth by Sleep" as the best game in the entire series. Having played through Terra and Ventus' storylines, I have to say that I totally agree. This is the first time in a while that I have had fun playing a Kingdom Hearts game. The battle system is one of the finest and most polished in the series. It's just so much fun leveling up commands and melding them together to create one really strong and cool-looking attack.

As for "re:coded," I initially gave it a pass as just some mobile game remade for the DS (it was originally a mobile game), but I picked it up for cheap and again, I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of different gameplay styles the game has from level to level. One minute, it plays very much like a traditional Kingdom Hearts title, next thing you know it plays like an old-school JRPG or an on-rail shooter or a 2.5D platforming level. Plus it retains the same battle system from "Birth by Sleep."

So yeah overall, I really love these two games and highly recommend them.