TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

That's good to hear it's not a bad game. I remember the N64/Playstation/Dreamcast South Park games were horrible.

I think the problem was that was trying to be a game version of south park, whereas this is south parks version of a game if that makes sense. I'm not a fan of licensed games but I find a lot of the RPG stuff that is made fun of as you go cracking me up, i'm still early into the game but i'm finding it almost as an extended interactive episode dedicated to mocking game styles, i chucked quite a bit at the references to the fact its a standard mute rpg protagonist and yet people keep having conversations, that and the jab at all the games that use nazi zombies.

Well, The Last Of Us is being made into a movie. Exactly what I DIDN'T want to happen is happening. Unless the movie is about completely different characters, I won't even bother with it. Movie adaptations of video games always suck, and a movie version of TLOU would ruin everything that made the game great.

I'm not a fan of licensed games but I find a lot of the RPG stuff that is made fun of as you go cracking me up, i'm still early into the game but i'm finding it almost as an extended interactive episode dedicated to mocking game styles,

I started playing this one last night, completely agree. Feels like an episode of South Park that just happens to be a game. They've absolutely nailed the look, and they've jammed in a lot of references from the show, but without making them the focus of the game. Picking 'Jew' class was a no-brainer, and simply running around the town exploring is a lot of fun.

Parts of the game have been censored in Australia and to the studio's credit they've actually made it funnier in the process. There are a few parts which have been replaced with a title card describing the scene while the audio plays. For whatever reason reading the description and imagining what's been removed is even more hilarious, so I don't feel like I've missed any content.

^I heard that game was pretty much just tired old game mechanics with a pretty new paint job. Not a big fan of games like the original Fallout myself, I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

But what I have been enjoying recently is The Swapper, which is easily now in my top three puzzle games of all time, right up there with both Portal games.

It's got some stupidly good sound design, and everything in this game is dripping with grim atmosphere. Reminds me of Silent Hill meets Portal.

Plus it's got some great visuals, and some of the best (and most satisfying) puzzle mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

Don't worry if you don't have a beefy gaming computer strong enough to run it, it's getting ports for the PSVita, PS3, and PS4 soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I've started playing Hearthstone, which is basically the trading card game for people who wouldn't otherwise play one. Very addictive, good Blizzard humour, and the iPad interface works well. It doesn't cost a cent, and unlike other free-to-play games I've encountered I don't feel like I'd be missing out on anything if I choose not to buy the in-game items. Definitely recommend this one!

After about four hours of fumbling around, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has finally clicked for me.

I somehow put 10 hours into it over the last two days. That's from fighting my first Great Jaggi to barely bagging my first Quropeco just moments ago. This game is awesome. Now to just find more players that live near me, since the 3DS version doesn't have online play...

Getting ready to start Transistor today, super excited. Played the demo at PAX East earlier this year and it was a ton of fun.

Also, anyone else here a DotA fan? The International prize pool is over 6 million dollars in 10 days. Absolutely insane.

• 3 weeks later...
Three simple words... MARIO KART 8!!!!!! WiiU!!!... Get it!!! Its FABULOUS!!!!

This. I'm hoping enough people get Mario Kart 8 so that we can do TPR tournaments.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing a few different games lately:

Tomb Raider - $5 in the Steam sale, beat it in about 11 hours over a couple days. I really want to say this is a great game, but it's just so... meh. Great shooting, but it really doesn't belong in a Tomb Raider game, especially toward the end. Fantastic cinematography and visual style, but they so often limit the action to running down a single corridor as everything explodes around you. LOTS of collectibles, but aside from a little backstory, there's almost zero incentive to gather them. I enjoyed playing it, don't get me wrong, but it promises so much without really following up with any of it, other than the much-too-plentiful combat. Also, SWEET JESUS this game is brutal, to the point of making me look away from some of the death sequences. That wood spike in the river... falk;sdh;gfaksdg.

Pokemon: Diamond - 50 hours in. I'm at the doorstep of the Elite Four, underleveled and overwhelmed. This is the first Pokemon game I've ever tried to beat, so I feel accomplished making it this far, but it's taking all my patience to keep grinding and finally finish this game. Something tells me I'm going to take a nice, long break before starting Pokemon X, which I bought about three months ago.

Rocksmith 2014 - I've put 30 hours into this game over the last few weeks, and it's become my favorite way to spend my free time. It's not perfect with its note recognition, but I get more than enough satisfaction just learning how to play each song. "Thunder Kiss '65" by White Zombie, "Peace of Mind" by Boston, "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse, "Blood and Thunder" by Mastodon, "R U Mine" by Arctic Monkeys, and "Sweet Mountain River" by Monster Truck are my go-to tracks pretty much every day. It's just too much fun.

Civilization V - I think it's finally clicked. The last few times I've tried this game, there were key things I didn't understand (like the benefits of improving city tiles... I'm a little slow with these games, ok?) but this time I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. I look forward to the sleepless nights this game will bring.

^Rocksmith is a lot of fun. I especially like the like the chord and scales practice mini-games. I just wish it had a way to pause the songs and show regular tabs. Sometimes even practicing the songs at the slowest speed is still too fast, and I have to look up the tabs online. My go-to songs are Plug In Baby by Muse and Slither by Velvet Revolver (only the rhythm part, because I can't play fast solos and stuff).

I've been playing a few different games lately:

Civilization V - I think it's finally clicked. The last few times I've tried this game, there were key things I didn't understand (like the benefits of improving city tiles... I'm a little slow with these games, ok?) but this time I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. I look forward to the sleepless nights this game will bring.

Another convert! Civilization is the game I have spent more time on than any other, from the very first one, and including all the spin-offs like Alpha Centauri and Call to Power. Once you get the system and learn to appreciate the very deep strategy possibilities, you'll understand why for many of us this is the best video game there ever has been. Civ 5 is the only one in my opinion ever to top the illustrious Civ 2. The elimination of stacking units and conversion to hex tiles completely changed the way it's played, and definitely for the better. I also love that minor tribes are no longer just goodie huts, but are now real countries with whom diplomacy is possible. It also feels for the first time that there is a real difference between the nations. You actually have a real incentive to play France differently than you play Greece, in order to take advantage of each countries' strengths and minimize weaknesses. It adds so much replay value to a game that already was infinitely replayable.

So welcome to the club!