TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

I got a code for a free Redbox Game rental a few days ago and played Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Pretty good so far and it's like a non-Disneyfied version of Pirates of the Caribbean. I will be renting this game again the next time a get a free Redbox game code or movie code ($1.20 off a game).

AC4 is really good on next-gen. The enhanced visuals and more-constant realtime weather effects are amazing. This is easily my favorite AC in the series. Tons of freedom, the ship battles are done well, and there's a good amount of both land and sea gameplay. I'm also impressed with how historically accurate the game is (albeit having to add their own small story, considering the main character is fictional). My only qualm with it I would say is there are way too may "tail this guy" and "eavesdrop" missions.

Thanks to PS+ I was able to pick up Bioshock Infinite for free. Wow, what a start to a game! I predict this will definitely be a close second to the Last of Us, unless I get completely blown away and Bioshock tops it! Who knows haha?

The first hour of that game is among the best game content I've ever seen. So much world-building and sightseeing, it is completely engrossing. It's a shame I have a lot less glowing things to say about the first instance of combat...

I'm starting to think that I'm playing too many games at once. GTA: San Andreas, The World Ends With You, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, Dead Space, Brutal Legend, Mark of the Ninja, Burnout Paradise, and far too many single-instance games on Board Game Arena... I need to learn to focus on just a couple, 2 or maybe 3, games at a time instead of spreading myself thin and spending barely any time with each individual game.

AC4 is really good on next-gen. The enhanced visuals and more-constant realtime weather effects are amazing. This is easily my favorite AC in the series. Tons of freedom, the ship battles are done well, and there's a good amount of both land and sea gameplay. I'm also impressed with how historically accurate the game is (albeit having to add their own small story, considering the main character is fictional). My only qualm with it I would say is there are way too may "tail this guy" and "eavesdrop" missions.

It could have been much better if they went with the original plan to wait another year and develop a new engine for the series. AC4 is built on the same engine as the ORIGINAL GAME. Pretty crazy how long it lasted.

Holy Sh*t was Bioshock Infinite good! I'm more than impressed with this game and am baffled (and also a bit confused) about the ending. While the Last of Us still holds a more dear place in my heart, Bioshock was still a fantastic runner-up!

Trust me. You'll be in your office one day, and then little bits and pieces of the plot will start falling into place. Your jaw is going to drop. It's beautiful.

However there's still too many plot holes in that game for me to like it as much as the original Bioshock.

Holy Sh*t was Bioshock Infinite good! I'm more than impressed with this game and am baffled (and also a bit confused) about the ending. While the Last of Us still holds a more dear place in my heart, Bioshock was still a fantastic runner-up!

Wow, you actually finished it already? You must not have kids. Yes, I'm totally loving Bioshock right now, and the new world is just as interesting to me as Rapture was, albeit in a different way. Of course, don't spoil anything for me, as I'm still slowly making my way through it when kids are asleep, but I'm getting the feeling that this Comstock guy is a bit more of an idealogue than Ryan. Ryan was willing to sacrifice ideals to save his own power, but Comstock seems to be consumed with this idea that he is absolutely right and those who oppose him are utterly evil. It seems to be that resistance to the opinions of others that will be the undoing of this place. Well, we shall see....

It could have been much better if they went with the original plan to wait another year and develop a new engine for the series. AC4 is built on the same engine as the ORIGINAL GAME. Pretty crazy how long it lasted.

My guess is they wanted to get a game out for next gen at launch. I'm sure AC5 for PS4 and Xbone will have that new engine.

Xbox One Kinect already broke. Not really surprising with a Microsoft product. However, the exchange process has been really good.....so far. I just went online, filled out a form, and they already sent a replacement. That being said, It's pretty bad that it's happened quite a bit out there. Also, I am so glad they got rid of that always connected to work option. Our router has to be reset every 4 hours to work, so if they required an always on connection it would have been beyond terrible for us.

Beat the story of AC: Brotherhood (PS3) and all the truth puzzles.

Just need to get one more recruit to Assassin and a few more Assassin contracts to be done.

Not sure what to play next out of my backlog. Two new games got added over Christmas.

Uncharted 1 and 2

God of War 2

AC: Revelations

Twisted Metal

Mortal Kombat

Dragon Age: Origins

Infamous

Batman: Arkham Origins (new)

AC: Black Flag (new)

^ Dragon Age: Origins is one of the most underrated games of the last generation. It totally was overshadowed by Mass Effect. I just started last weekend my fourth playthrough, and every time it feels fresh. Each time I've played I've chosen a radically different character, and I find myself making different choices in the game because of who that character is. I feel the emphasis placed on your character's origin story really gives you a strong connection to that character in a way I've seen few RPGs do. Plus, it's not really all that long either, so you can play from start to finish. The story is around 10 hours, and if you hunt down every last item and complete every side quest, it's maybe 30. When I was a kid, I would have complained about it being so short, but these days of always being in a crunch for time (stupid adult stuff!), I value a game that keeps the story moving.

Since Mario Kart 8 is be released this year I thought I should play through Mario Kart Wii. I got the game years ago and only played it a few times because I hate the controls with the steering wheel or using the Remote and Nunchuk. Since I got the Classic Controller last year, I decided to give the game another chance and it's a lot more fun using a regular controller but still really frustrating getting hit with a blue shell on the final lap right at the finish line and then dropping out of 1st place.

I also got Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence for PS2 around 6 or 7 years ago and thought I should try to complete it (I ended up restarting the game since I was only an hour into it the first time I played it). I don't like it as much as MGS 1 or 2 but still think it's a decent game.

That's good to hear, I have Mario Kart 7 but opened it just to get the Club Nintendo code and register the game and only played the game once just to make sure it worked. Once I finish Mario Kart Wii, I'll look forward to playing Mario Kart 7.

The nice thing about Mario Kart 7 is that it's like Mario Kart DS in that you can see the map and the items other players have on the bottom screen. So, if you see someone who has a blue shell, you can slam on the brakes, lose first place, and then speed past the other player when they get bombed.

^yes, I'm so happy about that feature!

I've been snowed in for three days, so I'm having a horror game marathon binge thing. Some Amnesia custom maps, I'll play all episodes of The House, and then maybe some Slender: the Arrival. Then I'll go find some other indie horror games to play.

The new releases for the Xbox One and PS4 are few and far between! They started with barely any games, and they are extremely slow at getting more out. Hope it picks up soon.

There are supposed to be decent titles come spring and early summer. I'm waiting for Infamous and Watch Dogs.

^ If you are subscribed to PS+, you would be getting a new game every month. Next month Outlast is going to be free! I'm not really sure about Xbox's free game program, but I've heard that those games are not very good.

Xbox's are generally popular, but really old games. Recently I think Halo 3 and the original Gears of War were two of the free games.