TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

I was fighting temptation on picking up a Wii U. I did not preorder (like I should have) so I'm now kicking myself in the rear...pretty hard. The whole thing goes like this...last night I'm at Target and noticed that there's nobody doing the camp out thing for the console...This gave me hope that maybe it won't be a repeat of 2006. Today I check online at various stores as they show that the item's 'in stock' and some stores say 'limited quantities.' I had to make a run to Walmart anyway for something and the store I was going to supposedly had them in stock (Yea, I should have called to verify...as much as checking online is a lot more convenient...especially since the stores around here take forever to answer their phones). I find out by surprise that all they have on hand is for reserves only...thus making the whole 'in stock' thing a bit misleading. Oh well, I'll get it one of these days. From what I was reading, quantities should not be as limited as the original Wii console so we shall see.

In the mean time, I've been playing Black Ops, at level 22 now. Yea, I'm not the fastest progressing person in this game, still what I like to describe as a 'newb' as my scores are...lackluster...but I'm improving a lot! In fact I'm getting a bit too caught up in Black Ops that I'm leaving Team Fortress to collect dust...I did get back on that game the past couple nights to join some fellow TPR members for some midnight massacres

I have been playing nothing but Black Ops 2 since it has come out. Very addictive game, has a great story line with some crazy twists that will really make you think. (but it also has some things I thing they should have just left out of the game like one that I find very funny that Petraeus is still the leader of the CIA in 2025). The online play is very fun with great weapons and attachments and cool scorestreaks and if you get bored of the multiplayer you can go play a zombies game mode which is also for the most part very fun to play. If anyone is interested in adding me as a friend on PlayStation network just PM me.

I finally got my hands on a Wii U. My local Target happened to get a shipment in today and something told me to check with them when I get off work. Target also had the "buy 2 get one half off" deal going on so I picked up Tekken, Mario, and since I snagged just the basic set, used my 'half off' towards Nintendo Land. In the end I spent enough money for a while...last time spending a huge chunk was at CGA when getting the newest Haunt gear and renewing my Season Pass.

Now for the painful moment of...this...

The update's now complete! So that took about 90 minutes or so. Now I'm really excited to hit up NSMBU. Was looking at the booklet, the overworld map immediately made me think of Super Mario World for the SNES. With this said, I'm excited to play it!

An update: Played NSMBU, awesome game! Feels like the child of Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES). Of all the New Super Mario Bros games, this one feels the closest to the Mario titles we grew up with way back when!

Tried Nintendo Land, highly addicted to the DK Crash Course! Still need to try the other games. Ninja star flinging is quite fun too!

Last but not least, Tekken Tag Tournament seems to show what kind of graphics the Wii U is capable of. Granted, I never played the PS3/Xbox versions of it but looking at the graphics, initially I would be thinking I was looking at a PS3 title! (Ok, maybe not quite when one of the fighters are decked out in a Mario costume )

Really liking it so far! The convenience of being able to put your game play on the tablet controller is pretty neat...at a critical spot on Mario and don't want to pause, yet you're busting to use the throne? You can take your little Mario adventures with you! (Not that I'm going to do that haha)

Cool review! We have two right now, but I'm just holding on to them hoping the demand goes up for Christmas so I can sell a few to cover the cost of us getting one! Still haven't seen one yet. Our Target took out the Wii display, but still hasn't put in a Wii U display.

Checking out the rest of the mini games on Nintendo Land, pretty addicting stuff! The Balloon Fight/Balloon Trip game feels quite natural, would be fun if you could do 2 tablets on it and have 2 players duke it out like in the old days when we had to mash the "A" button to get the balloon guy to fly.

And then I decided to see what MiiVerse is all about, which is pretty much a social networking thing Nintendo has pulled off! I have heard you have to keep your posts PG otherwise it could get removed. You can write out status updates or doodle them out. I decided to hop into the Youtube thread and do this, being the coaster nerd I am...maybe someone will look it up on Youtube...

Amazon has been having some really great black friday deals on video games and accessories. There a a ton all throughout the day. Good Luck!

www.amazon.com/Black-Friday/b/ref=nav_swm_BF_2012-general?ie=UTF8&node=384082011&pf_rd_p=1420473702&pf_rd_s=nav-sitewide-msg&pf_rd_t=4201&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06JMT35K2RMSHK39MQ9C

^While the 3DS has a harder 'clicky' feel, the Wii U pad has the more softer 'rubbery click' feel, like the majority of the controllers out there...if you've used a PS3/Xbox controller, it's pretty similar. The 3DS sounds like it has those metal bowl-shaped contacts while the Wii U sounds like it has those rubber membrane contacts (think of that calculator you may have taken apart when you were younger).

Gald you got your WiiU Gumball! I just completed NSMBU tonight. It was FANTASTIC!! I was worried with all the buzz going around that the difficulty was ramped up... ...I had little trouble overall, sans for a couple of levels in the "Soda" and "Merangue" levels. The game offers SO many 1-ups, I saw the end credits with 58 extra lives remaining. It did remind me very much of Super Mario World. And not as much WiiRemote shaking/tilting as Mario Bros Wii did. Loved this game!

You should check out Scribblenauts too. Pretty easy game so far, but VERY fun!

Nintendo Land is the game I've spent the least time with so far. Donkey Kong is AWESOME. But damn its hard! I can get to check point 10 of level one, but can't get down those girders right before Pauline! Ugh! I played a little multiplayer, and Luigi's mansion and Mario Chase were pretty fun. Need more people to play, not just two...

I've got my sights set on ZombiU next. I hear mixed reviews for it, but it looks too damn awesome not to try.

And "Game & Wario" can't come soon enough. It's the spiritual successor to the WarioWare titles. Just more fleshed out.

I'm VERY envious that you were able to perform your sysytem update. I'm still getting error messages (which I've read are common right now) when attempting to connect. I really want to check out MiiVerse. Overall, I am pleased with my purchase of WiiU. Not happy that I spent nearly $500 on the system and 2 games (3 if you include Nintendo Land). I just hope the system gets the support it needs from Nintendo and 3rd party.

Black Friday was pretty good this year for video games. Got Epic Mickey for 3DS for $10, Bio-Shock 2 for PS3 for $2.50, Tekken Tag Team (newest) for PS3 for about $24, and Golden Eye Reloaded for PS3 for about $7.

Epic Mickey for the 3DS is pretty fun. The graphics are interesting. The actual characters look low quality, but the background 3D images are really nice (for a 3DS). The game itself is a ton of fun and very similar to the Sega Genesis Mickey's Castle of Illusion. If you loved Castle of Illusion, you'll really like this one! But, realize that the 3DS version is completely different than the console game Epic Mickey 2.

Goldeneye Reloaded. I was surprised at this game. It's a good nod to the original. It's a fun FPS. Nothing amazing, nothing over the top, but a simple and fun FPS. It should already be in the bargain bins for about $20. Definitely worth it.

^ MW3 multiplayer was just terrible in my opinion. I just didn't like the maps and how the weapons worked and I could never really do great but when I played black ops I was decent most of the time and I would make it into the top 3 a lot.

Most of the time I do somewhat decent. My K/D in Team Deathmatch is about .87, which seems fairly average from checking the lobby leaderboards. I only just started playing less than a week ago so I've still got room to improve.

^ I always try to get a positive ratio and I just couldn't do it in MW3 but in both Black Ops I could and they are both very fun compared to MW3 IMO.

^Agreed, I wasn't a fan of MW3. Black Ops II is at least a step up, hopefully in the right direction again.

I agree it is very addictive but the target find can be very annoying sometimes when I'm not using it or if I don't have cold blooded on, also is it me or is it harder to get a score streak which by the way I really like how there is a score streak now instead of just a kill streak.

Yeah, score streaks are really cool.

In my opinion, BO2 is one of the hardest CODs out there just because of the UAV. Since ghost is unlocked so late and it's nerfed, the UAV is much more damaging to your play style. It's like whoever gets the first UAV is guaranteed to win the game since they will keep getting UAV's and find you. Regardless of that, the game is great. I really enjoy Tranzit as well, very fun.

Holy crap. Guys, if you have any interest in PC gaming, hold onto your butts.

The Humble THQ Bundle has been released.

Pay any amount over one measly dollar to get Darksiders, Metro 2033, Red Faction: Armageddon, Company of Heroes, CoH: Opposing Fronts, and CoH: Tales of Valor, and if you beat the average payment (currently $5.72), you get Saint's Row: The Third. Any amount, even under one dollar, will get you the soundtracks of the games as well.

I know it sounds like I'm a spambot, but this is friggin incredible. THQ is in deep trouble as a company, and this is pretty much their last-ditch effort to get back on their feet, lest they be taken over by Ubisoft, so it's not all good, but from a consumer standpoint, HOLY CRAP. Too bad it's only available for Windows users, not Mac users, and Steam is required. But still.

Edited by onewheeled999

• 3 weeks later...

Tinkering around with the WiiU still. Finally was able to get my update done and connect to MiiVerse. So very cool. Like Twitter for Nintendo geeks!

Spending much time with Tank!Tank!Tank! Very repetative arcade game, but so addictive and fun. Upgrading and earning new tanks, blowing up robotic simians, bugs, arachnids and monsters is crazy over the top fun. The game is a touch over priced @ $49.99. A better price would have been $39.99/$29.99. I got it on sale for $25, so I have NOTHING to complain about! Lack of online play also hurts it a bit. But local multiplayer is a really good time. Pick-up and play fun!! I have unlocked about 11 tanks so far and am up to mission 25! Love this grossly underrated/under appreciated game!

Also playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 WiiU Edition. This is the first Tekken game I have played since Tekken 4, which I hated! Tag Tournament was not only my favorite in the Tekken series, but one of my favorite PS2 games. Tekken 4 changed for the worse, to me. So stiff. Difficult to control. Just overall difficult. Tag Tournament 2 makes me a fan of the series again! Wonderful game! And I haven't even tried the goofy Nintendo exclusive modes yet! I missed playing Tekken with all its cheesy, sometime hilarious arcade endings.

Chipping away (to a lesser extent right now) at ZombiU. Scary game. I love it. Just been ignoring it for the time being. I am trying to get to the Tower of London, I believe. Just not ready to make that journey and risk dying again... poor survivors!

I am having a really good time with the WiiU so far!

^ Glad to hear you are enjoying the Wii U. I have yet to play one, but tomorrow Little Big Planet 2 is releasing an addon for Vita and ps3 cross controller. You can use your Vita to control the game on your ps3. Looks very similar to how games are being played on the Wii U.