TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

This Steam summer sale is awesome! I picked up Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2, and all three S.T.A.L.K.E.R games for around $20!

EDIT: Also just bought Amnesia and both Witcher games.

I know exactly what you mean.. I've gotten Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition, Mirror's Edge, Mount & Blade: Warband, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Hitman: Blood Money in this sale. I'm never, ever gonna have enough time to play these, along with the few dozen other games I have yet to play/finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gotten 5 pages both times I've played Slender so far. The second time however I had 5 for like 15 minutes while I wandered around the same structures over and over. (Whoever added fog to the game is a seriously evil and twisted person)

It's definitely the most uncomfortable I've been playing a video game, but I haven't been horribly scared. Now, my sister on the other hand...

I am really looking forward to seeing if 343 have destroyed halo 4..

From what I have read, it is definitely going to be different to what everyone is accustomed, and there will be a good amount of changes. Die-hard Halo fans might not be so keen on this one, but I think it's for the better. The series needs a little refreshing.

^ Sure it does. It may not be looked too highly upon by most gamers, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere. And if you enjoy it, awesome! You're gonna be blown away by the whole world of better and better games out there.

I sort of wish I was you, actually... I would love to be able to experience Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Mass Effect, The World Ends With You, and Portal for the first time again.

But anyway. I started Starcraft II's campaign the other day, I think I like it. It does a good job with introducing new concepts one at a time, but I still find it incredibly difficult to manage each of those elements once they start to stack up. Things like what unit is good against what, remembering to purchase upgrades, practicing a bit of scouting, etc. I'm definitely going to stay far away from multiplayer until I've completed the campaign.

^ Sure it does. It may not be looked too highly upon by most gamers, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere. And if you enjoy it, awesome! You're gonna be blown away by the whole world of better and better games out there.

I sort of wish I was you, actually... I would love to be able to experience Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Mass Effect, The World Ends With You, and Portal for the first time again.

But anyway. I started Starcraft II's campaign the other day, I think I like it. It does a good job with introducing new concepts one at a time, but I still find it incredibly difficult to manage each of those elements once they start to stack up. Things like what unit is good against what, remembering to purchase upgrades, practicing a bit of scouting, etc. I'm definitely going to stay far away from multiplayer until I've completed the campaign.

Kingdom Hearts for the first time was magical...

I <3 Kingdom Hearts.

Upon getting a bit deeper into Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, I can easily say it's a hit. I really find it amazing just how much stuff Square-Enix managed to jam into this game.

First off, since it's a 3DS Game, I'll mention the 3D. While it can end up being a bit cumbersome to use in battle, the 3D was done extremely well. The depth and perspective look great and it really does bring out a lot of detail in the scenes. The opening fight sequence in particular had some great 3D, as does the Hunchback area.

The combat is the real gem of this game. It's absolutely awesome. While some may find the controls to be on the "light" side when blocking or spell casting, the basic mechanics work great. Basically, you have your Keyblade which which you can perform basic attacks, and then you have your "command deck". The command deck increases as you progress through the game, consisting of a deck of slots which can be filled with magic, powerful strike moves, or items from your inventory. You can shuffle through them the D-Pad below the Circle Pad. It's like a Hybrid of Chain of Memories' (GBA version) difficult-to-master card fighting style and 358/2 Days combat style.

None of that is the best part though. Actually I'd say there are two equally awesome combat additions:

Flowmotion Mechanics: Holy crap! FINALLY! This has to be one of the most ingenious mechanics ever integrated into a Kingdom Hearts game. Basically, by dashing into an object (anything!) in your surroundings, you can use flowmotion to ricochet off and quickly speed around an area, or unleash devestating attacks on your enemies. These attacks vary based on what objects you "flow". In fights, it works extremely well, and can dispatch a large amount of HP from multiple enemies. It also helps in boss fights by preventing you from getting cornered.

The other half is the dream eaters.They're basically your creature allies that follow you around in battle and fight with you. As you fight with them, you can link their powers to yours and unleash some pretty devastating moves and abilities. There are a ton of different dream eaters. 3 in a party and 2 can be out at once. The special moves can be released with each individual eater or be linked together for various results (often ridiculously awesome).

Also, for those who may have missed a past KH game, you collect mementos which give you the back stories on the previous games to help understand the current one.

Been on an SNES kick lately, reliving Super Metroid. I just defeated Kraid and got the Varia Suit. I used to play this game all the time, sadly a bit late in my school years (never played it until 1999 sadly) but still brings back memories of playing on a rainy day, or because my parents' van had an SNES hooked up in it with a TV, we would play it on long trips or even random runs to Walmart...lost count of how many times we told my mom and dad not to turn the van off yet so we can get to a save point. Good times, good times...

Just also picked up a copy of New Super Mario Bros 2 for the 3DS. I'm liking it, especially since the only other NSMB game I owned was the Wii version. I played the original NSMB briefly which I enjoyed that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone playing Guild Wars 2, just a warning that there have been a LOT of phishing attempts lately. A password change and activation of their e-mail verification system is probably a good idea. I got an e-mail this morning saying someone from Budapest, Hungary tried to log into my account, and reading their forums, there have been many attempts from China, Japan, etc..

Here's a good comic on how to make a strong password.

password_strength.png.0173e3be9c1dbda2cc4da60110618e04.png

I recently stumbled upon a nice orchestrated Chrono Trigger soundtrack video on Youtube. This caused me to start playing Chrono Trigger again. I really forgot how much I loved the game.

I'm currently in Zeal, working my way towards fighting Queen Zeal and having Magus join the party. The next boss battle is Twin Golems, which if I remember correctly, is a tough one.

All right, here we go! The Wii U is coming!

November 18 for North America, November 30 for Europe, December 8 for Japan.

$299 gets you the white console with 8GB internal storage, white GamePad, AC adapters for both, HDMI cable, and sensor bar.

$349 gets you the black console with 32GB internal storage, black GamePad, AC adapters, HDMI cable, sensor bar, charging cradle for the GamePad, combination stand, and NintendoLand bundled in.

Notable games in the launch window are NintendoLand, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 (formerly Project P-100), Batman Arkham City, Rayman Legends, LEGO City Undercover, Darksiders II, ZombiU, FIFA 2013, Madden 2013, NBA 2K13, Call of Duty Black Ops II, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Assassin's Creed III, Mass Effect 3, and Epic Mickey The Power of 2. Did I miss any?

They also announced a new application for Wii U called Nintendo TVii, which essentially lets it run like a set-top box such as Roku or Apple TV.

All old peripherals are compatible with the Wii U as well. The pro controller is sold separately.

While some -may- consider the white base model overpriced, I think that getting the extra internal storage and NintendoLand is totally worth $349, and I will be getting the black "deluxe" package. Probably will pre-order it in a few days.