TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video Games

Just finished with the Water Temple. Seriously, this was not as hard or dreadful as people make it out to be, atleast on the 3DS. I know on the N64 you had to go into the menus to take on and off the steel boots...and the 3DS allows you to assign the boots to a button. Boss was pretty easy once I figured out what to do. Now, I think I'm just going to chill, do some side quests and find more goods before I take on the next dungeon. Fishing on there is probably the most addicting game on there and the boss battle time trials are a nice addition.

I bought Jamestown today on Steam for $5 today, I've been looking into it since before it was released, and finally couldn't resist anymore.

It's an old-school bullet-hell shoot-em-up at its most pure. You know how games these days tend to be so forgiving, giving you unlimited lives/continues, checkpoints, extra health and ammo all over the place, all that? Yeah, this game throws all that out the window, and sticks strong with its one-hit limit. One it, you lose a life. Three lives lost, you have to use a Continue to keep playing. You have two Continues per level.

It doesn't sound too bad, until you remember that it's a bullet-hell game. Bullets come from every direction, and your main goal is just to weave in between them, narrowly avoiding getting blown apart at any waking second. To put it bluntly, IT'S HARD. But it's really fun at the same time, and finally beating a level without losing a life is so satisfying. I highly recommend it, even though there's only local 4-player multiplayer, not online.

Played Black Ops online for the first time today and really didnt like it. I'm a MW2 guy all the way, so learning that you can buy all the weapon attachments now its kinda weird. And the contracts thing?! Plus you cant even just check your own KD normally, unless I just havent figured it out yet. I dont know, I much prefer unlocking all the weapons attachments than buying them at will, gives you more of a challenge and it more fun IMO. Yea, thats my rant for the day.

Anyone out there with xbox live whos a MW2'er? Gamertag: xT Dub96

So are there any Team Fortress 2 players out in the forum? I'm looking for some opinions on how it just went free to play and all they gave to the people who payed for the game is a hat. Should they have given the community better? I believe they should have. Maybe they could have given us some additional features that weren't in the game, such as maybe a new game mode.

-Noob

I just played my first semi-real game of League of Legends. It was me and my friend up against bots, 5v5.

It was intense. Since I'm extremely inexperienced, I died something like ten times in the 45+ minute game, so the enemy got pretty fueled up. I kept in the top lane with my friend for the majority of the game, so it was a bit of a tug-of-war up there while everything else played out with the bots. The enemy ended up getting through the defenses on the bottom lane, then the top lane, so I stuck to the base to defend while my friend pushed the middle lane, as she was right next to the enemy base.

It went on for something like fifteen minutes: Minions and enemies would flood into our base, me and a few bots would push them back, only for them to storm right back in immediately. We ended up losing, as something like four champions and a few dozen minions stormed the base at the same time while I went to push the middle lane. Long, hard, and a great experience for a new player.

And if anybody cares, I was Cho'Gath, she was.. someone else, not a free champion.

Playing "Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident" on Wii... Fun little mystery game...

Also just completed "Dead Block" in Co-op mode with my partner on XBLA... much better game than most reviews are saying it is...

Just started "Stacking" on XBLA... it was on sale last week, and it got such good reviews... so I thought I'd try it out... so far, its a blast!...

^ My friend got his two days ago, it's pretty good, but I haven't listened to the new tracks they added for the credits.

I'm playing through Metroid Prime right now, it's good, but I guess I need to get into it to really love it, and it has a kind of funky control scheme.

So are there any Team Fortress 2 players out in the forum? I'm looking for some opinions on how it just went free to play and all they gave to the people who payed for the game is a hat. Should they have given the community better? I believe they should have. Maybe they could have given us some additional features that weren't in the game, such as maybe a new game mode.

-Noob

Premium members only servers would rock. I bought the game a long time ago and now all the servers are filled with idiots who have no idea what they're doing. And really, a hat was cool, but cosmetic only? Seriously? It at least could've had some sort of bonus. I don't care if it's not fair to the F2P players, I paid for the damn game.

Vekoma "Now I can't get a crocket with my Vintage Direct Hit without some n00b calling HAAX." Fan Boy

Edited by ernierocker

Premium members only servers would rock. I bought the game a long time ago and now all the servers are filled with idiots who have no idea what they're doing. And really, a hat was cool, but cosmetic only? Seriously? It at least could've had some sort of bonus. I don't care if it's not fair to the F2P players, I paid for the damn game.

Vekoma "Now I can't get a crocket with my Vintage Direct Hit without some n00b calling HAAX." Fan Boy

Alright first off, i did not call HAAX on your crocket! Just because I'm a No0b does not mean I'm retarded (JK ). Second i have good news for you. There is a plug in for servers that only allow premium accounts on (got the info from the TF wiki, first paragraph under comparison http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Account_types).

Third, I'm thinking that maybe we could start up a TPR server. I've notice quite a few people play the game on this forum. There are just two things wrong with this for me. First we would need to make it password protected. Second, we would need a good computer to do it on (not the college laptop i have now). Ill do a little testing tonight to see how well my laptop runs a server

-Lt. "I know what a crocket is " No0b

Hello Enthusiasts...

I'd venture to say most of us have a unique yearn for coastering experiences... whatever the platform... and gaming is certainly an arena of interest to many here.

I checked around the different forums (still getting used to it all) and wasn't sure where the following news fit in exactly... since it seemed the "Roller Coaster Games..." forum was dedicated mostly to NL and RCT, etc. So guess I'm dropping this here.

GC-6.jpg.4e68ac8e801638b85ab8ce71968c842c.jpg

the "Groove Coaster" icon

Yesterday a sweet new iOS game was released called "Groove Coaster". It's created by Taito and the developers who unleashed another significantly awesome title, "Space Invaders Infinity Gene". The app is simply a tap/gesture, rhythm game... but features a great original lineup of music, particle effects & eye-candy galore, a "techie" feel, and a ROLLERCOASTER gameplay mechanic!

Essential play goes like this: There's a line in the middle of the screen. Your avatar runs along the line. Targets appear at certain points (or come swooping in from the side). You tap anywhere on the screen when the avatar and target intersect. Simple and not too unlike other games in the genre.

Difficulty ramps up steadily, upgrade and customization options are deep, a hefty reward system is present (including new avatars, items, and skins that may even assist or allow power-ups during play), leaderboards and achievements are well accounted, and social game-sharing lets a group of friends unlock unique ways the game even develops/unfolds.

A lot more is included and involved with the game... more than I want or care to get into at this time... but the main thing important to any of us is the fact it uniquely involves ROLLERCOASTERS in some way. Oh, and that it doesn't suck (imto).

Here's some related media for you:

TouchArcade's "Groove Coaster" review may be found HERE.

TA's review has a couple of screen shots and here are three more of my own to confuse and bewilder you:

GC-3.jpg.2bcac7159be3d619065f6d0c43fdb323.jpg

The line (coaster track), the targets (in yellow), and your avatar (the white-ish dot in the upper area with stars trailing)

GC-4.jpg.34efe0315afc341e0068b91886fef0c0.jpg

This is a shot of the screen after finishing one of the levels. The camera pans out to reveal the course of the "coaster" your avatar has just "grooved"... groovy.

GC-5.jpg.f26ac058cf3859efafd5e1b8eb81b453.jpg

Summary screen after finishing a level.

And finally this link to a YouTube vid of gameplay (on iPad2) found

. (would some mod please embed the vid? My attempts were unsuccessful. TY)

Summary:

I'm not personally into most rhythm games (although I enjoy watching friends who are good at them)... but this one keeps drawing me in more and more as I play it. I think it's the dynamic rez-ish, nu-retro and trippy graphical experience... combined with unique and diverse music... wrapped up in the COASTER package that keeps demanding my interest. Plus... I destroyed "Infinity Gene" time and again... and just had a feeling this new iOS title wouldn't disappoint. The learning curve was low. I was up and playing in no time. If you are at all interested in something like this or looking into a new distraction for your waking moments... give it a whirl. Intro price is ¢.99 for now and will go up sometime soon.

So some interesting news for you 3DS owners, and potential 3DS owners. In a couple weeks, Nintendo is doing a price cut on the system, dropping it from $250 down to $170. That's quite a drop if you ask me. My coworker told me about this and at first I was a bit furious. I then was eased by the fact that us current 3DS owners will be getting 20 pre-chosen virtual console titles free...10 NES titles, and 10 Game Boy Advance titles. Nintendo states that they want to pretty much give you more value. I do admit, $250 was pretty steep for a console alone. Also, sales for the 3DS was not what they were expecting due to the not-so-strong launch.

Official word from the Big N can be found here.

Hopefully this doesn't mean a near end of the 3DS's life..but one can only speculate, right?

I knew a [censored]ing price cut was around the corner. It was only a matter of time. They just aren't selling enough 3DSs, or Wiis for that matter. It's probably not feasible, but Wii-U should have been ready for sale a few weeks after its showcase at E3. It's going to be behind before it ever gets released now.

On a side note, I've noticed that there's no consistency within Nintendo's Lineup. I originally thought that the Wii and DS Lite were supposed to represent the design direction of Nintendo systems to come, but then they released the (IMO) ugly matte DSi and the (again IMO) too angular and misshapen 3DS.

Hopefully this doesn't mean a near end of the 3DS's life..but one can only speculate, right?

I'm thinking the holiday season is going to unfortunately be sink or swim for the 3DS. With Mario Kart, Super Mario, Star Fox, and Kid Icarus all coming out in the next few months, along with the cheaper price, if sales don't bump up drastically I'm not sure anything can help.

And for the record, I hate the name Wii-U. I think I like Drop Tower better .

Also, unfortunately, as much as the 3DS needs its flagship titles, it seems that Nintendo's putting all of their eggs in 1 basket...they release all the big games now, what's going to happen after that? Will they have more in the works? Or are they trying to get everything out now so that everyone's then thinking "OMG! 3DS has all of these games now!" just in time for the holidays.

I just finished Ocarina of Time the other day, I love the first fight sequence with Gannondorf. Link waits 7 years, awakens several sages, all so he can have his tennis match with Gannondorf. Now, I'm playing Master Quest. I had MQ on the Gamecube but never really played it much...so now I'm realizing how much different it really is while at the same time, I'm playing the same game. Definitely tougher and new puzzles to figure out. I'm in Dodongo's cavern now trying to figure that one out.

Now, I'm playing Master Quest. I had MQ on the Gamecube but never really played it much...so now I'm realizing how much different it really is while at the same time, I'm playing the same game. Definitely tougher and new puzzles to figure out. I'm in Dodongo's cavern now trying to figure that one out.

The only thing I don't like about the 3DS Master Quest is that the world is mirrored.

Some of the puzzles are insanely annoying, but that's what makes it challenging.

I beat Master Quest late last night, and some of those puzzles just pissed me off! **Puzzle Spoilers** I hate the ones where you have to hit random objects with your sword or hookshot to open doors. The targets begin obvious (Cow heads in Jabu-Jabu), and then progress to random objects that no one would guess witgout a guide or dumb luck (The block in the Light section of Ganon's Tower comes to mind). Those ones just frustrate me. I also hate how the Scarecrow's Song is required, because I've never actually used the scarecrow at all in the many times I've played through the regular version of game.

** End Spoilers **

• 2 weeks later...

Desperate for filler games until the fall lineup hits, I went out and bought NFS Hot Pursuit. Definitely a really fun game and better than I expected!

I also preordered Forza 4 and BF3 today. I didn't realize that Amazon offered release-day shipping for only $0.99, awesome deal!

I've also pre-ordered BF3 and am very excited for it. As a bonus, it's release date happens to be on my birthday as well.

I've got my new system up and running now and I have been mostly playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (if you want to add me, my new username is Siferra 89) and Crysis 2. I noticed I've been doing a lot better at BC2 because the higher performance on the new system seems to make it easier to react faster (not to mention the MAJOR reduction of lag). I'm still playing single player on Crysis 2 at the moment and just finished the level "Seat of Power" last night. The plaza part really creeped me out as I was playing it late at night. Bad idea. It was all those creepy voices combined with the dimly lit environment and the corpses scattered all over the ground. The music definately added to it.