TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most unfortunate rock band break-up?

BeemerBoy

Which band breakup was the most unfortunate loss?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which band breakup was the most unfortunate loss?

• The Beatles
    • Nirvana
    • The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    • Sublime
    • Bob Marley and the Wailers
    • The Doors
    • Guns & Roses
    • STP
    • The Clash

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it was not on this list System of a Down. Supposedly they are on a break and will get back together bt I want them now. Also a lot of time breaks don't work. If slipknot breaks up I WILL DIE.

Maggot for life

Same here

Why isn't Led Zeppelin on this list? They were just as good if not better than the Beatles, and what they did to music will never be matched.

--Chris

Why no Zeppelin or Floyd?

Because at the time the poll was started, Richard Wright was still alive (and Floyd was just over a year removed from a reunion performance). As for Zep, they went on tour last year, with Jason Bonham on drums in place of his dad. While certainly no one could effectively replace John on drums, having Jason really didn't change their sound all that much.

I'm going with the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Yeah, the Beatles break up sucked, but at least they had plenty of time to establish themselves as the greatest thing to hit music since Mr. Beethoven. The Experience was only going for 5 yrs. I can only imagine what all they could've done with Jimi's talent.

^^Led Zeppelin did not go on tour, they played one reunion show in London, which does not mean that they got back together. And Floyd was thinking about a reunion, but Gilmore stated, "It is not going to happen, we have done everything that a band can do and there is no need to continue as a band. It's just that I've done that. I've been there, I've done it." Try to get your facts straight.

--Chris

Zeppelin only did one show in London.

Only Gilmour and Nick Mason were touring together, Rick Wright realy did not tour with thme

and
^^Led Zeppelin did not go on tour, they played one reunion show in London, which does not mean that they got back together. And Floyd was thinking about a reunion, but Gilmore stated, "It is not going to happen, we have done everything that a band can do and there is no need to continue as a band. It's just that I've done that. I've been there, I've done it." Try to get your facts straight.

I was basing my definition of "reunion" on how BeemerBoy defined it for this thread:

It's basically just the fact that the ones listed will probably not perform as a whole, and in their original form ever again.

Pink Floyd performed at the Live 8 concert in London as the full quartet of Waters, Gilmour, Wright, and Mason. It is generally accepted as and called a "reunion performance". Admittedly, not a reunion tour, but a reunion nonetheless.

As for Zep, I was incorrect in saying they toured in '07, though they did perform (as you said) as a reunited trio (minus John obviously). BeemerBoy was talking about them not performing again as a group, and (if one can accept Jason behind the drums for LZ) both of them did. That's the point I was making originally. With the exception of Led's non-tour, I'd say my facts were pretty accurate.

The Beatles. You can say anything you want, but any rock band after 1970 would not EXIST if it were not for the Beatles. Rock music would not be what it is. Imagine the Beatles stayed together for even 5-10 more years. If the style of Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road and Revolver and Rubber Soul was developed just for a little bit longer, what would music be today? I can't even imagine anything better than Sgt. Pepper. Chances are they would have made at least one more album as good or better.

Hendrix dying sucks too, but the Experience was not what made him great. Jimi would shine no matter who he played with, be it the band of gypsy's, or anyone else, so I cant vote for that. I will say though that the albums he put out with the Experience were his best.

All the others were great bands, but not influential enough to be compared to the Beatles or Hendrix.