TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride You Felt Was Unsafe?

Over winter break I went to a ghetto fair in Mexico, and I rode a Tagada. It was completely filled, running at full capacity, and I obviously freaked out when everyone fell off of their seats, and started rolling on top of eachother. It was probably one of the best rides I've ever been on, but totally unsafe

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batwing (Six Flags America) - It has a shoulder restraint for each arm and one that comes to your waist to hold your legs in becuase it is a "lay down" coaster. Mid ride once one of my shoulder restraints came totally lose. When I was back in the station I told the operaters and they did nothing about it, they just kept using the train. I stayed there and watched them for a few minutes to see if they would do anything. I then went to customer service and told them about it.

Mind Eraser (Six Flags America) - This is a suspended coaster and once my restraint came lose by two clicks. I was terrified. I am so glad that is one that has the seat belt as well to hold the restraint down if it comes lose.

Two Face: The Flip Side (Previously at Six Flags America) - I was not on it but at the park when this happened. Its a suspended coaster boomerang coaster where you face each other (kinda like Deja Vu). Mid ride one of the wheels broke and you heard this loud screech. Luckily the train made it back to the station safely.

Six Flags America does not have a good reputation here in Baltimore. The park is just a tad too ghetto.

I think EVERY roller coaster should have a manual seat belt to hold down the restraints or go across your waist to hold you in.

About 12 years ago at Adventureland, we were on the Lighthouse ride when the lapbar popped open. That scared the crap out of me. Also this past October at Hersheypark we were stacked on the brakes on the Comet. Our car was raised higher than the others. We started going again and our car dropped back on the track. I was a little freaked out, but not too much since it was just the brake run.

light__.jpg.bf82100f2a214f3abe1c5a39758de7c0.jpg

This is the lighthouse

I have never felt a ride was unsafe or anything, but there have been a few instances where some rides did their job and terrified/thrilled me to the max:

-Superman: Ultimate Escape/Steel Venom at Geauga Lake - It was the first time I experienced a holding brake...it felt as if I were going to fall right out. Ironically, I rode Voodoo (Possessed now) at Dorney in 2008, but I didn't have that feeling at all the second go-around...strange, probably because I already knew what to expect.

-X-Flight at Geauga Lake. I had never ridden anything like that. Again, thought I was going to fall right out. Tatsu was a good one also. Definitely a different experience from a Vekoma flyer...especially since Tatsu is so big.

-Deja Vu - I didn't know what to expect going into this one. I LOVE that feeling of all your weight against the restraint while climbing up the spike backwards.

-X - My current number one coaster and best first drop ever, in my opinion. Those who have ridden it (and enjoyed it) know what I am talking about.

Also this past October at Hersheypark we were stacked on the brakes on the Comet. Our car was raised higher than the others. We started going again and our car dropped back on the track. I was a little freaked out, but not too much since it was just the brake run.

A lot of wooden coasters do that. I've been noticing that for years. I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on this, but I believe it has to do with the train's momentum. The brakes close and stop the train before it's momentum is completely stopped, thus it being slightly in the air still. If anything, that relieves me, not worries me, knowing that those brakes are strong enough to suspend a car (probably multiple) in the air without any give whatsoever.

Looks innocent no? This ride was/is at Pedroland Park at South of the Border.

It was the only ride I rode there, and for good reason. I got about half way up the first rotation and felt the ride sway. The operator (or some guy that just walked up off the street, you decide) let it go around one or two more times then stopped it and told me he didn't think it was working right.

I think he let me ride something else, but I can't honestly remember what.

Here's the full report: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27131

X - My current number one coaster and best first drop ever, in my opinion. Those who have ridden it (and enjoyed it) know what I am talking about.

I couldn't agree more. X/X2 is my number one coaster too and that first drop is amazing, especially when the seats flip forward and you hang there for a couple seconds before you drop.

The only coaster I have ever felt unsafe on is the traveling coaster which is used at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, CA. I rode it in the mid 90's and it was so unstable that the entire structure shook back and forth every time a train went around. Sorry but I don't remember the name and couldn't find a good picture of it.

Sorry but I don't remember the name and couldn't find a good picture of it.

Was it the Hi Miler? http://www.themeparkreview.com/sandiego2004/dm56.jpg

Since my grandparents live in Costa Mesa, I go to Orange County fair every year and have been on that ride a number of times. It looks unsafe, but I've never thought it was going to fall apart on me.

Although I don't think any of the fair rides are particularly unsafe, the lines can be. I've nearly been hit several times by loose articles lost by riders (most commonly cellphones) while in line for the Zipper or Speed (KMG Booster). The best one of these was when the phone hit a fence and exploded after flying off Speed when it was rotating at maximum velocity, requiring about ten people in line to duck or dodge the pieces.

About 12 years ago at Adventureland, we were on the Lighthouse ride when the lapbar popped open. That scared the crap out of me. Also this past October at Hersheypark we were stacked on the brakes on the Comet. Our car was raised higher than the others. We started going again and our car dropped back on the track. I was a little freaked out, but not too much since it was just the brake run.

This is very typical of skid brake equipped coasters. Having worked on a coaster with skid brakes, I can tell you they're not the most reliable or consistent things in the world. Their performance varies significantly depending on the temperature, they don't work very well when they get wet, sometimes trains get hung up on them, and to top it all off, they generate sparks. Generally though, they're still pretty safe.

As fascinating as it is for me to watch the Mondial Space Roller/TopScan I have never felt safe on this ride. It is extremely uncomfortable to me. The last time I rode was the year before last at the State Fair of Texas. I wasn't positioned in the seat right, one leg was stretching out farther than the other so I was sitting cockeyed. I am so vertically challenged its hard for me just to get in the thing. That ride I really held on for dear life. I felt as if I was falling out!! I always give rides few chances before I say...I just don't feel safe or I don't like it. I gave this one three. Everytime I felt unsafe.

The most scared I've ever been was on Screamweaver (enterprise) at Carowinds. It's the most I've ever blacked out, which doesn't happen often at all, and although I'm not claustrophobic I began to get worried about being trapped in the cage.

I was wondering had anyone ever felt extremely unsafe on a rollercoaster, or any other ride? When I was little i felt unsafe on Kamakaze a flat ride found at most fairs. Maybe this would be an interesting topic.

I feel the same about those kamikaze ride. You feel like you are slipping out when you hang upside down.

The only ride I felt unsafe on was Drop Tower at Kings Dominion this past summer. All I could think about was the SFKK incident and it just freaked me out more and more. I didn't open my eyes the entire time. When the ride dropped I screamed like a little school girl, I was truly horrified.

I remember one time on Medusa East when I hit the second inversion of the Cobra Roll and my OTSR popped out one click...OH GOD that was scary! I held on real tight for the rest of that ride!

That same thing happened to my on an S&S Space Shot. It almost felt like 2 or 3 clicks acually. I held on really tight for the rest of the ride too!

Something similar happened to my on Catapult at sfne. The restraint popped out when I was hanging. It made the ride much more exciting!

While I feel this ride is safe, it sure felt unsafe. Those flexible vinyl straps and nothing to hold on to. Spinning full speed towards the ocean upside down at 160(?) feet in the air. I've been on two of these so far, and still LOVE them. One of the few rides that are truly scary. And at around 15 bucks a person, for the length of the ride, they're a very worthwhile upcharge.

l_43d4e1a138ed9d7a813f9200d84bda2e.jpg.63ac70f38d523c212ea4dea748d588ef.jpg

On the left, with my eyes closed, next to a far less concerned Jason. (rollin' n coastin')

I can't help but feel a little scared for my feet when riding an Intamin Drop Tower. I like to tell myself it can't happen again, but really it can...that's part of what makes them so awesome though, they keep you nervous everytime. I definitely think riding them is worth that very, very small risk.