TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride You Felt Was Unsafe?

zonga at sfmw. the whole red loop lifts up off the ground a few inches when the train goes over it then bangs on the ground. also the fact that everyone that was coming off the ride looked like they were gunna die any second.

I noticed that the red loop flexes as the train goes thru also...but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable being as if that metal did not flex, there would be much more stress. Watch an Impulse's spikes as they sway...they do that for a reason.

As for unsafe rides, I'd probably go with any inverting carnival ride. I feel comfortable on the carnie rides that are permanantly placed though (like the ones @ SCBB) being as they're maintained, not slapped together and dismantled constantly. I also did feel a bit uneasy about Drop Zone after the ride ops didn't lock us in, which was the next day when I watched the news.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^That ride looks cool!

I absolutely hate ferris wheels (except the swinging carts on the Sun Wheel)! I can do Zippers, which is almost the exact same thing as a ferris wheel, but I just can't take the regular ones. I always think that our bucket would snap off and I would have to wait until I hit the ground to die.

---Brent 8)

Looking back, i can think of one ride that scared me more than a carnival ride. When my car was getting worked on several years ago, i rented a Ford Festiva. That car was so lite, me and my eight yr old daughter could lift the back end off the ground. When i was doing 80 mph in it, i swear the front end lifted off the ground. That spooked me a bit.

Last week, I freaked out on the Windstorm at Old Town. It was just me on the train and as we went up the lift, my car kept "bumping" really hard on the right side - like a wheel was broken or something. I swear I almost hopped out onto the lift stairs and walked down. I don't totally trust places like Old Town, honestly. The operator was like this 60 year old dirty man and he didn't even check the lap bars. I just get the feeling that no one at Old Town really "cares". So, I told myself it was all in my head and I rode. Turned out fine, but still, I was wiggin' out thinking we were gonna derail.

-kip-

The Coney Island Wonder Wheel, in a swinging car. It feels like its gonna fall apart at any second. Of course its not, but when your car crests the top and swings out beyond the framing, screeching on rusty tracks, I hang on for dear life.

• 4 years later...

"Whoa Ho! Lookee at what I just found. A long lost post I feel can be reused."

In my tradition of looking through old posts and bring back the ones I feel could be reused, I find this one to be interesting (and just in time too, I mean, it's been nearly five years since its last post).

"Okay, now that you've found a reusable topic, how about you start it off?"

Okay, in 1986, there was a traveling fair ride called "The Cobra" (I believe the Fun Spot in Orlando, Florida has this ride). Well, I got on and was enjoying the ride until I looked up above me and saw, to my utmost horror, something was coming apart above the ski lift-type chair. Fearing that my chair was coming apart, I yelled at the operator to stop the ride, but that dopehead (I would like to use something stronger, but there may be kids reading this) ignored me. Finally, when the ride was over, I quickly got out to point to that dopehead what I felt was unsafe, but the part I pointed out was nothing but just the counterweight (it was suppose to move and I wasn't in any danger). Well, feeling , I apologized to the operator, but that f***ing SOB told me to f*** off and never come back (sorry kids, but I couldn't control it).

Well, ever since then, I haven't been able to ride "The Cobra" again; not because I'm afraid of it, it's because I've never saw it again. Now if I do get the chance to go to Orlando, Florida, I will ride the Cobra there and won't have to worry about that dopehead running it.

Now that I got that off my chest (not to mention it's been five years). What's your story?

"Now that's put to rest, I can sleep better at nights."

^^ Woah.

It's got to be really scary to watch the lift hill that just lifted you up seconds ago crumble to the ground.

The only ride I've ever felt unsafe on was a Zamperla Cliffhanger. I'm short and small so the restraint that came down wasnt touching me and the little bar the goes in between your legs was by my knees. Not to mention there is a video on Youtube of a kid falling off of one of these. I knew that the forces would hold me in and the board I was laying on was pretty bump so it had a good hold on me and I wasnt slidding off. I did let go for part of the ride but I just felt safer holding on.

And it doesnt help when my car is squeaking like crazy.

This only happened once. I was riding Vortex at California's Great America, which IMO is a very rough stand-up. For those of you who know how Stand-up restraints are, you stand-up, have a shoulder harness, and a seatbelt connected to the bottom of the harness. My harness was lose, and the only thing keeping me from flying out was the seatbelt. I asked the ride op before getting on and he said " Oh, it's fine." It was the scariest ride of my life. Thank god the seatbelts held.

I still ride this ride though.

This past summer, at KI, we arrived an hour after the park opened, and decided to go and check out the line for FireHawk. When we approached, we were told the ride would be opening up later on, so we decided to hit up Flight of Fear just because of its close proximity. After our ride, we checked back on FireHawk, and once again it was still closed. The op positioned at the start of the que, told us that the ride was completing its last tests before opening for the day. We decided to wait what turned out to be around 10 minutes, before boarding the first train of the day. What we didn't find out until later, was that this was the first public train since a man died the previous day. It was pretty erie after the fact. Not unsafe, just erie.

Article on the Event:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/20331491/detail.html

Tig'rr at Indiana Beach after watching the ride tear it's self apart from on top of the lift before an E-Break grabbed us and we sat up there for about 20 mins before finishing the ride at a very slow pace...

Surely this was just a chain snap though? I can understand it probably made a lot of noise, but hardly tearing itself apart!?

Where abouts did you stop on the ride? Surely if you stopped on the top of the lift you couldn't have completed a circuit without someone pushing you over the top?

I would have to go with the Liquidator water slide at Wild Rivers in Irvine. The Edge side scared me to death!

Like eric mentioned, I've also felt somewhat unsafe on X. I have not ridden X2 yet, but for some reason I have always felt really insecure on that ride.

Aside from X, Deja Vu makes me nervous as I always tend to envision something happening on the first spike.

It would either be Rainbow Chaser at Fun Forest (now dismantled) or Wild Mouse at Vancouver Playland. Rainbow Chaser is a screeching metal death trap. Not to mention rusting away as well. The whole thing felt like it was going to break any second. I'm surprized so many parents let their kids ride that thing.

Wild Mouse was dismantled at the end of the season two years ago because it was unsafe to operate. That thing just felt like it was going to fall apart any second as it was so rusty and rickety. They even had to put sandbags inside the car so it would make it all the way around the track.

I miss that sign and those back-breaking turns...

~ Jess "I've only ridden that thing twice in my whole life" Chan