TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride You Felt Was Unsafe?

Restraints "clicking up" is more common than you'd like to admit. But it comes from the restraint not completely latched in whatever "click" it's in when you leave the station. And the changing angle/forces of the lift/ride is enough to pop "out", since it was never actually "in". It's never a big difference in how tight the restraint is, but at the time because of the ride, you usually think it's much more dramatic. I had a guy claim his harness completely opened, but A) this is a GIB and it'd be obvious if you didn't have your harness on at the end, and B) if it were to have failed, the harness wouldn't lock again afterwards.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Gemini this year I left the lap-bar a lot looser than I meant. I thought I just left tiny bit loose but I forgot to tighten the sea belt at all so that was loose to. I was in the last row and on the first drop I got some of the best airtime ever. Then as I came closer to the bottom I realized I had raised up a few inches with my hands up and the supports at the bottom were one of the best head choppers I've ever seen. On the first turn I did tighten the lap-bar and seat belt though.

I've ridden Steel Force a few times in the back row without a seatbelt and holy crap, the airtime was amazing. Plus the lapbar can only come down so far so I had a good 5 or 6 inches of free space. I do not recommend doing this though because I swear I would have flown out during the bunny hills if I didn't tense my thighs at the lapbar.

This is a GIB and it'd be obvious if you didn't have your harness on at the end

The HUSS Condor, named Hökfärden at Liseberg, was a one ride only for me. It did NOT have the high safety-bars / cage on the sides. You could quite easily just lean over the side and fall down. I have never wanted a ride to end that badly in my life before or since. Here is a photo of the deathtrap courtesy of Liseberg.

I think I was 7 when I rode a Condor at Ocean Park, the ride op said I'm old enough to ride alone so me and my mom sat on different "cages". I remember twisting my arm around the bars because I felt I was about to fall off.

SFNE's Cyclone last night. Horrifying.

9:30 at night. I board the back seat. If you were there, you could tell that ride was hauling ass that night.

That first drop caused my seatbelt to pop, my hands to let go of the lap bar, and I felt like I was shot over the turn in front. Hitting the bottom of the first drop, the car jolted me bad. Just before dropping into the superstructure, I held on, and suddenly, guess what. The foam on the bar ripped. I started screaming. The trim was off. I was flying through the turn screaming, swearing, losing my mind. The final bunny hills actually gave floater, and arriving in the station, I got severe whiplash. I was a mess, and the next week I had a nasty nasty bruise from the first drop ejector.

Best. Ride. Of. My. Life.

I've ridden Steel Force a few times in the back row without a seatbelt and holy crap, the airtime was amazing. Plus the lapbar can only come down so far so I had a good 5 or 6 inches of free space. I do not recommend doing this though because I swear I would have flown out during the bunny hills if I didn't tense my thighs at the lapbar.

As you are someone who works in the industry, I wouldn't be sharing your rule breaking stories even if they are in another park. No wonder you felt unsafe, as you were not using the safety restraints properly.

the log flume ride at CGA was pretty nerve wracking to me. I know I went on it alone once while I waited for my friends to get off Stealth. The drop isn't steep enough though you really launch you out at all though. I still had my feet firmly planted and my hands hanging onto whatever they could. Didn't really help to see the flume have drip leaks either.

I can't say I've ever really run into one that felt so unsafe that I wouldn't ride it. Often, the "unsafe" feeling is part of the experience.

Blackpool's Wild Mouse springs to mind, and there are some safety concerns associated with that—reaching up on the lift hill, for example. Also, Ghost Rider "feels" like it's going to derail after the drop that follows the turnaround. And I did feel worried while on the Sky Screamer at Great Adventure, but there was never any real concern, obviously.

Oddly enough, I actually thought Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's was unsafe, when I first rode. This was before the refurbishment, but even then there wasn't anything particularly bad. Sure, some water splashed out on the turns and it was pretty old, but I didn't notice any cracks or leaking. But the lack of a seatbelt... that had me nervous. Also, it was a first that I went on a ride without a seatbelt. And when you go over the final drop, with your scrawny friend sitting in front of you, and you don't feel like squishing him due to gravity, I panicked a little bit. But after another ride, I got over it.

Plus, it also prepped me for the evil spinning wheel of death people call an "enterprise"... and its lack of seatbelts.

• 4 weeks later...

There were a few in china that had questionable safety. There was one at one of the people's parks that had very low clearance and one of the supports was almost completely rusted through. I probably wouldn't have ridden it if I had seen the condition of the column before I had ridden it.

I have no the name of the coaster or park, but I remember I nicknamed it Two Umbrella Sliding Car.

• 3 weeks later...

Wild River Gorge at Alabama Adventure. Visited in 2009 with TPR and the whole park seemed unsafe. The Wild River Gorge was no exception, and just a little bit after we left, two rafts collided and one flipped!

Singlehandedly, the ride that made me get my first Theme Park season pass .... X2 at SFMM.

The first time I went on that ride (after having not been to SFMM in about 12 years), I came off legitimately thinking, "wtf just happened"!

I felt at various moments in the ride that I was about to fall off, and thankfully the butterfly restraints did their job!!!

Three moments on that ride in particular that scared the cr*p out of me:

[1] the drop, duh! that drop is insane!

[2] that first huge inside raven turn... that floating feeling in combination with looking into a loop was something you just don't feel/see on any other coaster, and you lean very heavily on your restraints at this point

[3] that last outside raven turn... you can't see this one coming from your riding position, and I once again, was thankful the restraints did their job.

conclusion? This ride to this day was the only ride I've ever felt UNSAFE, but that is exactly why I LOVE IT. legit scared me. <3

• 1 month later...

In 2006 when we were at Kings Dominion and were riding Grizzly. We heard a pop on the lifthill...train stopped...when it restarted the train felt like we were riding on an angle. The rest of the ride was rough, but from what I understood, that was fairly normal. Right after we got off they shut the ride down for the rest of the day, to my knowledge anyway.