TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Does anybody think a medium family wooden coaster would go great at Dollywood. They passed up the oppurtunity to buy the Zippin Pippin but that is undrstandable. I understand why Dollywood didn't buy it as in it costing millions to make room for it and I also see buying such an old coaster and putting it in a park such as Dollywood where its attendance is so high would be a problem. I would think it would be a maintanence nightmare. And also, Zippin Pippin would have a low capacity and that would also be terrible for a place like Dollywood. Anyway, I think Dollywood could greatly benifit from a medium family coaster because if you look at there coaster lineup-

Mystery Mine- Thrill Coaster

Thunderhead- Thrill Coaster

Tennessee Tornadoe- Thrill Coaster

Veggie Coaster- Kiddie Coaster

They have coasters for Thrill riders and kids, they dont have a tame coaster without inversions that the whole family can ride. If they bought a new, medium sized wooden family coaster, I think it would go along with the country theme and go along with Dollywood's reputation as being a family park. I have been to Dollywood many times and in my opinion is one of the best theme parks in the country. But after reading the thread where Dollywood passed up the oppurtunity to purchase the Zippin Pippin, it made me think how good a family coaster would go at Dollywood. As they expand I would love to see a family coaster installed. Can I get your opinions on my thoughts?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What exactly did you have in mind? A mine train comes to mind, but that wouldn't be a good idea as they already have the mine thing covered with Mystery Mine and Blazing Fury.

Blazing Fury is a pretty good family-oriented hybrid ride.

I'm all for more coasters, but Dollywood is pretty packed as it is. Where would they put it?

^I read on another thread a while back, (not too sure how accurate it is) but Dollywood is supposedly expanding so the whole park is a circle (correct me if I'm wrong). But since there expanding there should be plenty of room. As for the type of coaster, a mine train would be a great. I know they used to have the Thunder Express.

^I read on another thread a while back, (not too sure how accurate it is) but Dollywood is supposedly expanding so the whole park is a circle (correct me if I'm wrong). But since there expanding there should be plenty of room. As for the type of coaster, a mine train would be a great. I know they used to have the Thunder Express.

I'd love to see Dollywood built out to a full loop. Although I understand that the park is right in the middle of what used to be mine country, I do think that having 3 mine themed rides would be pushing it.

Dollywood already has a lot of family oriented rides, just not coasters so much.

I think a good dark ride would be great. Granted Blazing Fury is a darkride hybrid, but they don't have what I would consider a good darkride. Mystery Mine also looks like it will have some darkride aspects to it, though. I don't know, maybe a launched coaster of some type would be good, instead, just to round out their collection.

-James Dillaman

I can't really see Dollywood putting another woody in anytime soon, but that's just me.

My thoughts are that they will eventually close the loop between Thunderhead Gap (or whatever they are calling it these days) and the Mountain Slidewinder area.

Dolly has pledge $100 MM in the next 10 years, they are going to be doing some major expansion with that amount of money. But myster mine is $17MM I think.

After Mystery Mine, Dollywood doesn't need anymore coasters. IMO the park is becoming too ride-oriented. They need to do some other things to round it all out.

I'd rather the park move back towards what it use to be - become more like Silver Dollar City again.

I think DW has done an excellent job of mixing both theme park elements. Rides as well as themeing. I would love to see them continue in the direction they are headed. So far their choices have been right on the money.

As nice as it would have been to get a nice "family" coaster as you call it. I understand the reasons as to why they passed on the "ZP."

I wonder how the rumored "Ice House" theme for the top of the hill is comming along. I would also love to see some sort of transport ride that would take you from one side of the park to the other. Like an eagles flight or a ski lift style ride. It could have 3 stations. One in the county fair, one way up in craftmans alley by TT and BF. Finaly the last leg of it over in the Thunderhead Gap Valley. This combined with the loop from MM over to the TT area will realy give this park a more coherent flow.

Just my 2 cents.

680836141_DwoodSitemap.JPG.4d82be6e8b7d2758724bfde8981e0428.JPG

It looks as if they have a lot of room to expand. I only filled in the areas that I could tell were most likely theirs.

^What atmosphere are you speaking of? The horrible flow of traffic on fairly small midways. Or the constant barage of overweight fatties running over your feet in their "rascals".

I only have two complaints about Dollywood. If your not one of the first 100 cars in the parking lot, you are SOL and have to walk a mile to their front gate. My other complaint with DW is the poor layout. Walk a mile to a dead end. Walk another mile to another dead end. The bottleneck effect in this park is outrageous. I need a "rascal" by the end of the day.

I hate to sound so negative. Afterall, Dollywood is one of my favorite parks in the country. I absolutely love it! Unfortunately , they just have a huge traffic problem both inside the park as well as out in the lot.

I think a skyride would ruin the atmosphere of the park...but thats just my opinion.

I agree. A Skyride would be too theme park-ish.

I think DW has done an excellent job of mixing both theme park elements. Rides as well as themeing. I would love to see them continue in the direction they are headed. So far their choices have been right on the money.

Yea, but that's probably because you didn't visit Dollywood prior to the "big" coasters. You only see it as being a theme park with rides, not grasping the other aspects of the park.

It use to be something much more unique...

Most of the coaster enthusiasts over looked Dollywood during those years because there was nothing of any significance there. I've been visiting DW since “two AD" (Two years after Dolly invaded), and I firmly prefer the park back then compared to now. The atmosphere was much more relaxed and you didn't feel as if you were in a stampede of people all the time. If you can believe it, the themeing was stronger as well. (Not that its shabby today!)

Of course there were no big rides back then, but you weren't really expecting that sort of stuff when you visited the park anyway.

^ Agreed. I went before Thunderhead, just after TT was built, and the park was alot more "calm" than when I went after Thunderhead was built. But it's still my favorite park. But I do agree with the above, a skyride would ruin some of the "atmosphere" unless they somehow themed it or put it low to the ground (but that would defeat the purpose, I guess).

No matter what, it's still an awesome park.

^What atmosphere are you speaking of? The horrible flow of traffic on fairly small midways.

The atmosphere of being in a period when everything was simple. I look at dollywood as being the most simple looking theme park I have ever been to. It doesnt seem like the "trendy" parks that you find now a day. It seems like it took a step back in time and I feel that a chair lift would look totally out of place especially in areas like showstreet and the 50's area. I have never had a problem w/ the traffic flow in the park everything seem to just flow. I think the train is perfect for the park. Now if It can make several stops and not be the scenic ride it is that maybe better but then again it wont be the scenic ride it is lol!

The problem with making another train station is the train is TOO BIG. Not that it is a bad thing, That's just the way it is.

Call me completely silly, but I would love to see the park put in another (that's right ... another one) of smaller scale and let it do a complete loop around the park with multiple stops. Thank Disney on this one.

// would also not want to see a "lift" ride. The one in Ober is just fine.

Yes the train only has one station (its a 5 mile ride, not a transportation method). I don't like the idea of a skyride that much either, and do have to agree with Guy that the park can get crowded! Of course, thats what happens when you are the most attended park in the southeast.

I first went in 1995 (or was it 96?) and really enjoyed the park then as well, but if I had my choice, I would probably choose the 2006 model over the one we saw 10 years ago. Maybe its just me, but a park full of shows, crafts and little else was not for me (though I still managed to enjoy it a lot) - it was more for my mom. Now they have shows AND rides so it has a broader appeal. But hey, that's just me and as it is, Dollywood is pretty much my favorite park.

I've been going to DW since it was Gold Rush Junction and after that Silver Dollar City. When it was GRJ, it had a wild mouse which isn't even listed on RCDB, but it and the flume were the only big rides. I never got to visit when it was Rebel Railroad. Over the years, it has only changed for the better IMO. I wouldn't want a chairlift either, but a sky ride with themed gondolas wouldn't hurt in my book.

i remember going to Dollywood years ago with my father, we traveled all the way from Chicago just to go back there and have a fun weekend. checked the web site and everything to make sure the park would be open, and it said it was going to be, but alas when we got there it was closed and not a person in sight. ruined the whole purpose of the trip.

i'll end that story by saying that Pigeon Forge isn't the most exciting place on earth either.