TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Binaural Recording, like used in Alien Encounter at WDW.

MrMorgan

Hi TPReviewers. I'm looking for sound engineers or Imagineers or whoever who have experience recording with Binaural technology, or anyone who perhaps has a copy of the original recording for Alien Encounter, (send me a PM if you don't want to admit to that here )

Here's the reason: I'm producing a private Halloween event and I wanted to create a short "audio presentation" about the power of imagination, and that sometimes we force ourselves to believe in things that we know cannot be possible because the fear somehow gives us a kick. Does anyone know of any sort of "binaural haunted house recordings" that exist, or would anyone be willing to produce one for me? (I have a budget, meaning I'm looking to have it professionaly produced). I did a google search, and didn't find much of what I'm looking for. Lots of normal stereo sound effects, but nothing binaural.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of any sort of "binaural haunted house recordings" that exist, or would anyone be willing to produce one for me? (I have a budget, meaning I'm looking to have it professionaly produced). I did a google search, and didn't find much of what I'm looking for. Lots of normal stereo sound effects, but nothing binaural.

Binaural beats don't work that way. You can't play them as ambient noise through speakers. They only work through stereo headphones. The technology works by playing tones of slightly different frequencies in each each ear. The brain resonates to the beat frequency, which is equal to the difference between the two individual frequencies.

If you wanted to equip everyone in the house with headphones, you might be able to pull it off, but it takes a few minutes for it to work anyway.

I have a lot of experience using this technology, but zero experience making binaural beats. It's a complicated process to make ones that actually work well. A company called Centerpointe is probably the leader in this field.

Thanks for the lengthy reply! I've already found a way to produce the small "show" I've been imagining. It will be presented to 12 people at a time in a dark room underneath the theater that I work in next to the huge machinery that makes up the airconditioning system. They will be made to wear headphones to "drone out the noise of the machines". If everything goes as planned, it should turn out really cool. I'll post the finished product as an mp3 when it's all finished, although any spoken text will be in German so it might not really appeal to everyone here.

In case anyone is interested, there's a Steven King novella called "The Mist" (easily one of his most terrifying stories) that was recorded in "3-D SOUND", aka binaural. It's a rush to listen to it, what with the monster noises...there's this one great part where there's an earthquake and you can basically hear it all around you. You can download it from Bearshare, which is where I came upon it. Loads of fun to listen to, although the child actor is awful and one of the characters describes the monsters to you in this really corny way...if you ignore that, it's amazing.