TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waterparks Discussion

This thread is to talk about waterparks, any kind, big or small...

My local waterparks are:

1. YMCA "Waterpark"- Okay, lets just say this is teh closest one to me. Nothing but a kids playground with two small waterslides... For the true credit whore if there are such things as waterpark and waterslide credits...

2. Sun Splash- A city owned water park located in Cape Coral, FL. It has some alright slides, but no major slides. Their last addition was a promo for electric water heating with a slide called (get this) "The Electric Slide" (plays the song "Electric Slide"). Havent been there since 2002.

3. Adventure Island- AKA Busch Gardens Tampa's waterpark. Not much has been added since Wahoo Run in 2000. Pretty decent place, though I have not been there since 2001.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really excited for Memorial Day Weekend!!!

I'm going to hit two of my favorite waterparks: Typhoon Lagoon and Wet N Wild. I'm even more excited because they both have new rides!

Thinking about Adventure island, it really is time for them to get something new! I'm thinking it was Splash attack in like the mid to late 90's, Wahoo Run in 2000...they're kind of on the '5-year Plan' so maybe next year!

Oh, and I'm going to Hurricane Harbor LA on Mothers Day with two of my co-workers kids!

Elissa "loves the waterparks!" Alvey

I actually really like Hurricane Harbor. It's a fun park.

The only other Water Parks I have been to are Raging Waters, San Dimas (Last time was about 12 years ago), Wild Rivers, Irvine (Last time was about 15 years ago) and Schlitterbahn.

Looking forward to maybe visiting some more waterparks this year.

Elissa's 10 Favorite Waterparks That I've been To...in no particular order...

- Blizzard Beach

- Wild Water Kingdom

- Wet n Wild Orlando

- Typhoon Lagoon

- Adventure Island

- Schlitterbahn

- Hurricane Harbor LA

- Water Country USA

- Wild Rivers

- PGA's Boomerang Bay

Top Waterparks I'd like to Visit...

- Schlitterbahn South Padre

- Waterworld in Denver

- Kalahari in Wisconsin Dells

- Hurricane Harbor NJ

- Wildwood Waterparks

Elissa "reposted from another thread!" Alvey

I'm really excited for Memorial Day Weekend!!!

I'm going to hit two of my favorite waterparks: Typhoon Lagoon and Wet N Wild. I'm even more excited because they both have new rides!

Thinking about Adventure island, it really is time for them to get something new! I'm thinking it was Splash attack in like the mid to late 90's, Wahoo Run in 2000...they're kind of on the '5-year Plan' so maybe next year!

Oh, and I'm going to Hurricane Harbor LA on Mothers Day with two of my co-workers kids!

Elissa "loves the waterparks!" Alvey

I believe Splash Attack was added in 1998...

Well, who knows what Adventure Island could get next... Maybe a Tornado clone?

Personally I'm partial to WaterWorld in Denver. Not only because it is the closest decent sized waterpark to me but it has good food, fun rides, and is just a nice place to go. Beyond all that how many waterparks have dark rides with little animatronics. They also have a little gondola ride between the middle area of the park and the bottom.

Personally my favorite ride is probably still Voyage to the Center of the Earth. It was build way back in like 1995 or so and it is still one of my favorite water rides. I mean where else do you get to sit inside a long tunnel going through slow sections between flumes for about 5 minutes. Too bad the line is often just horrific. Heck it is often worse than the bowl rides down at the funhouse area at the bottom of the park.

Anyone who hasn't gone will probably enjoy it. There are some rides that aren't exactly in their prime and a few things that do need attention but it is a fun park and a great experience in general.

My local waterpark is Sesame Place. It isn't that great unless you are a kid since nothing is that thrilling and all the shows and attractions besides the water rides are of course, geared toward the under 10 crowd, and to make things worse just about any day during the summer the place is packed. I know water parks are crowded during the summer, but people come from all over the country to Sesame Place and it can get crazy there. It's a great family park though. They have about 6 slides, a small wavepool, 2 flat rides and a Vekoma Jr. Coaster.

OMG! I forgot about Sesame Place!!!

I'll never forget doing the Ernie's Rapids ride like 25 times in a row one day when I was like 6 years old!!! I remember I was too scared to try the 'bert' ride!

Elissa "do they still have that long roller slide in the playground??" Alvey

I don't know if that's it or not, but those long yellow slides are still there but they got rid of the huge bridge that you walked through Big Bird's mouth to access them. Now you just walk up stairs. Or was it a different slide?

Or if you mean the slides in this picture:

http://www.themeparkbrochures.com/2001/sp2001_4.html

They are still there as well.

My favorite is still Dorney's. Going to try and get there on a warm day this year.

I remember Holiday World as having a pretty good one, but I haven't been to that one in over five years, so I don't know what it's like now.

My favorite things at a water park are lazy rivers and the wave pool. I know that runs against everyone else's preference for slides, but I am a contrary bastard...

dt

My local parks are Waterworld Concord & Sacramento, Raging Waters San Jose, PGA's Boomer Bay, and the former Shadow Cliffs, now California Splash when it opens. Shadow Cliffs is a regional park that had 4 mat slides (which were fun imo but after a while, you'd get tired of just the same 4 slides). Now, they have California's longest lazy river, a wave pool, a toilet bowl, the 4 original slides, verticals, racers, and some tubed (enclosed) slides according to the concept art.

My three closest water parks are Hurricane Bay (SFKK), Splashin' Safari (HW), and Boomerang Bay PKI.

Hurricane Bay- it's a waste of time to me. It's really undersized and lacks in the slide department. They are adding the ProSlide Tornado this year, but in my opinion, those slides are greatly overrated. I wish the park had the space to add some serious body slides.

Splashin' Safari- this is a really fun water park, however, lately it's lost its grandeur due to the crowds. Holiday World's attendance has shot up and the park isn't quite ready for it. During my last visit through the week, every slide (except for the two original tube slides) had a wait that was over an hour. That's just too long for the slides that they have. This is a place that I'd also like to see add a few freefall body slides.

Boomerang Bay- I haven't actually been to this park yet, but it has to be better than the old Water World.

Just for the record, my all time favorite water park would have to be Blizzard Beach

-Scott "maybe I slammed those water parks too much" Parrish

I'm ashamed to admit that I never went to a waterpark until a few years ago. Two Waterworlds are included in the price of a standard SFMW pass, so I've been going to Waterworld Concord at least a few times per summer. The only other waterpark I've been to is Cedar Point's, so I don't have much to compare it to. I go weekdays, and Waterworld can be crowded, but not to the point of irritation. I always have a decent time, and their tallest speed slides are almost always walk-ons. I do hate how they charge for tube rental, resulting in the lazy river being nothing more than a wet pedestrian thoroughfare. The CP park gets extra points for the views of Magnum and the adults-only area.

I've been to a few waterparks in my time. Some of the highlights:

Wild Mountain, Taylors Falls, MN. Not much of a waterpark, but their freefall slide is enclosed and goes underground for a bit, so that's kinda cool.

Noah's Ark Waterpark, Wisconsin Dells, WI: HUGE! The only reason any self-respecting college student would even get off the freeway at Wisky Dells. At least, prior to Hades. Tons of slides, lots of variety, and during a week in June, a half-price offer for college students w/ID. Best waterpark I've been to, hands down.

Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park, Kapolei, HI: Newer park, but they use a LOT of chlorine, and the rough concrete on bare feet is not a good combo.

Man could I talk all day about waterparks! Right now I'll talk about Noah's Ark, HH Sftl and SfGam, and Magic Waters.

Noah's Ark- This is by far the best waterpark I have been to Variety wise. There was so much to do, even on the slow days when there are no lines. My favorites were Black Thunder, Stingray, Jungle Rapids(mats), the Plunge(mat racing slide) and the Point of No Return. The park is pretty large, but one part of it is horrible on the feet, so bring sandles. BTW, the new Black Anaconda will be great!

SfStl HH- I didn't spend too much time here, but this is how I hope SfGam's new HH will be themed after. It was awesome! The slides looked great(but I really didn't ride any.) I just chilled in the wavepool.

Magic Waters(Rockford, IL)- Granted that I live less than a mile away from this waterpark, it is really great! It has 3 body slides, 4 tube slides(including the new Abyss! slides), Illinois' largest wave pool, an awesome lazy river, and the tallest and fastest Master Blaster I have seen.(Splashbalster.) It is really worth a visit if you ever plan on passing Rockford.

SfGam HH- Even though this hasn't even opened yet, I have still visited it. It is looking to be great and should be ready for its May 28th Grand Opening. 25 waterslides, a nice wavepool and lazy river, and the world's largest interactive waterplay structure(Yes, it will be bigger than SFOG's. It will also have a small kiddie pool near/connected to it.

I love waterparks!

I have been to too many water parks to remember exactly what they all had...but my favorite has to be Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. They have so many interesting design features there. Not only in the way the rides are layed out, but also with the way that one half of their park is spring fed. That is really cool and I'm positive saves a ton of money.

My other favorite water park has to be the one at HW, They have so many cool rides there. Zoombabwe is one of the coolest family raft rides ever. Not to mention they have a ProSlide Racer there and those are really cool...Plus their new wave pool looks really neat and very well themed.

Last but not least is Deep River Water Park, in Crown Point, IN, located about 40 minutes from downtown Chicago. They have 2 body slides, one fast, enclosed one, and a slower open one. An awesome open tube slide. 3 Really fun enclosed tube slides, and 2 speed slides...New this year is the $13 million expansion which includes the "only dueling double bowl ride in the WORLD" A new fast rapids river, and a really well themed playstructure from Koala Playgroup. In the fall the river pumps will kicked into high gear to allow the park to have whitewater kayacking. Then for winter the new entrance plazza will be turned into a nice ice skating rink.

There's a small water park fairly near my home. It's called Golfland Sunsplash in Roseville, CA. The company I work for has had the summer picnic dealio there the last few years. It's a fun park and has a decent selection of slides for its relatively small size. The Master Blaster "water coaster" (Just a slide that has jets to shoot you up one hill on the ride) is my favorite. The lines for the slides get pretty ridiculous at times though. It's great during our summer picnic because only the invited guests of the company are allowed in the park for the last 2 hours of the day. We get to ride everything, and some of the stuff several times.

Water World Sacramento isn't too far from me either, but it's been a while since I've gone there. It was pretty ghetto-fied from what I remember of my last trip. (Little wanna-be gangstas without any parental supervision acting wanna-be tough and generally trying to mess up the good times for other kids) Our SFMW passes get us into that park, and the Water World in Concord, so maybe I'll make it to one or the other sometime during the summer. It isn't going to break my heart if I don't though.

Can anyone here compare the Concord and Sacramento Water Worlds for me and suggest which one is the better park from a "family friendly" point of view? Thanks.

I'm looking forward to checking out the expansion of Boomerang Bay at PGA fairly soon. I'm going to take the family to the park for a day this weekend, but BB isn't opening until May so we'll have to wait a bit for that. That's cool. There will be plenty of time to get wet this summer.

Got a few near me .. only visited one of them however:

Hawaiian Falls (The Colony)

Hawaiian Falls (Garland)

Bahama Beach (Dallas) -- opens in a few weeks

Hurricane Harbor (Arlington) -- big .. one of the bigger waterparks, nice rides too, scary wave pool tho.

The Bahama Beach and Hawaiian Falls parks are city owened parks managed by the Herschend's of Silver Dollar City, Celebration City and Dollywood .. good stuff there.

• 2 years later...

Bringing back an old topic...

What do you guys think a water park needs in it's first year of opening. The reason I ask is because I have been working on a project for some time and feel im about to get back into it heavily. So with that said what do you think a first year water park should include...

^ I assume this is for a brand new water park like when SFGAm opened HH in 2005. Well here is what I think would go good.

Body Speed Slides

Wave Pool

Lazy River

Several family slides

Tube slide complex

Kid's Area

(maybe) Bowl Slide

Flowrider

That should be good.

I will be going to Hyland Hills Waterworld in Denver next week!

-Sam

Well, when White Water World opened here 6 months ago they started off with:

-Wave Pool

-Tornado

-Giant Bowl

-3 inner tube slides

-Water play structure with 7 slides

-Toddler area with 4 slides

-Rocket Slide

-Octopus racer slide.

Personally I would have put a lazy river in the mix, but It was good as it was.

I will be going to Hyland Hills Waterworld in Denver next week!

-Sam

That place is the best. It's my home town water park. I love all the theme rides and Journey To The Center of The Earth is still amazing.